Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

British Style Brass Bands in the US

British Style Brass Bands in the US

Old Apr 11th 2018, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

nigelhorne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British Style Brass Bands in the US

This last weekend was the annual North American Brass Band Association's competition which was held in Fort Wayne, IN. NABBA is the biggest festival and contest of British style brass bands in North America.

You can read a report at Result: 2018 North American Brass Band Championship — 4barsrest

-Nigel
Old Apr 11th 2018, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Style Brass Bands in the US

Thanks Nigel. You conduct Rockville? I see congratulations are in order.

I played 2nd cornet and rep for years in the UK, first and second section. I moved to Houston five years ago, and, having been to a couple of concerts, the brass band in the city are excellent. I would like to join, but we live in the far suburbs and the commute would be too much for me with three kids at home. I am at least enjoying playing with the local wind band. The repertoire includes some excellent modern compositions, but it's still not quite the same.
Old Apr 11th 2018, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

nigelhorne is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Owen778
Thanks Nigel. You conduct Rockville? I see congratulations are in order.
Thank you!

I've heard good things about Houston. A new band was recently formed in San Antonio, which took 1st prize in the 1st section on its first contest.
Old Apr 12th 2018, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations Nigel.

One of the things I really like about the US is the quality of our high school marching band, not brass but they don't do a bad job for a bunch of high schoolers and it's nice to see so many kids keen to take up instruments. I suppose I'm spoiled, the school did come away as State champions in their division this year.
Old Apr 13th 2018, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

I enjoy going to watch the Drum Corps International (DCI). Hopefully getting to Atlanta to see it.
Old Apr 13th 2018, 12:32 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

There is a place near me (several blocks away) where some drum band practices. I can't say I don't like it, but it is constant for weeks when it is on.
Old Apr 15th 2018, 6:47 am
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold

Takes me back - I used to play trombone for Thoresby Colliery Junior band way back when. My sister play percussion for Thoresby for a number of years. Can't beat the sound of a brass band in full session!