Bring Cockatiel?

Old Sep 22nd 2003, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

charliebird is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bring Cockatiel?

Greetings from the midwest of the USA!

I am new to this forum and found this great group while searching for answers about our beloved Cockatiel and moving to the UK.

My husband is a UK citizen and I am a US citizen. We have been married for 4 years and living in the USA. After our recent visit to family and friends in Egland we have decided we wish to move back. I have only ever visited but feel quite at home there.

The DEFRA site is not clear about animals other than cats and dogs, so I am feeling confident about taking our cat with us. However, we have a lovely cockatiel whom we love dearly and want to bring with us. We have plenty of time to plan our move as we are not in a hurry just in the very early planning stages.

Does anyone know if I am correct in assuming that we can bring our cockatiel by applying for the import license and then he would have to be quarantined for 6 months or if he is not eligible to come at all?

I read somewhere that they may be expanding the PETS sheme to include ferrets and birds come July 2004 for EU countries but did not see anything regarding long haul countries like the USA or Canada -- and would love if the PETS sheme would be expanded to include birds. Anyone have any further knowledge on that subject?

I would really love any help anyone could offer -- like info from anyone who has brought a bird into the UK etc.

It will be at least a year before we know we could actually make our move -- but with all the planning that goes into a move like this, I am starting to make our plan and map our our to do list so that the whole thing can go as smoothly as possible.

Thanks for any insight!

Cheers,
Charliebird