Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

A bizarre American habit

A bizarre American habit

Old Mar 15th 2009, 3:13 am
UNFORGIVABLE

YoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: A bizarre American habit

Oh ok i understand now.
Makes me feel better about living in Erie PA

The "Bible Belt" I have heard of that before.
Thats the one thing that really scares me about this country, the crazy religious people here, especially down south.

I never head of a group of people like that until i came to the US
Old Mar 15th 2009, 6:35 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YoungSteve17
Oh ok i understand now.
Makes me feel better about living in Erie PA

The "Bible Belt" I have heard of that before.
Thats the one thing that really scares me about this country, the crazy religious people here, especially down south.

I never head of a group of people like that until i came to the US
Unfortunately a result of Religous Freedom given in the colonies and persecution in England and Europe in the past- a great many of the fanatic nutters came here and the seeds sprouted.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 8:32 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
The winter I lived in Edmonton when they went up there was no snow and the temps were above 0C. When it came time to take them down the temps stayed in the -15 to -35C range with several feet of snow, and lots of ice.

I certainly wasn't going up ladders in that cold and ice, easier and safer to wait til spring.

Most in my area there had the lights up by Halloween, but just not on to avoid doing it in below freezing temps and several feet of snow.
I was referring to Americans (I am one) since the thread is called "A bizarre American habit." I thought Edmonton was in Canada.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 6:18 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
I was referring to Americans (I am one) since the thread is called "A bizarre American habit." I thought Edmonton was in Canada.
Well, they are (north) Americans too....
Old Mar 15th 2009, 7:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I have legal status in both the US and Canada. (Citizenship in US and Perm. resident in Canada.)

If I lived in a cold US climate I would likely do the same, but I lived in San Diego so it was easy to put them up and take them down. Never really saw many once mid-January came unless they were military and the dad/mom/whoever wasn't there to take them down.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 11:23 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Well, they are (north) Americans too....
Yes, but we know that the thread was started to diss US people. Of course, when it is convenient, people like to get technical.

Anyway, where I live, people leave their Christmas decorations up too long because they are LAZY. I think it is tacky and can't stand it. I also can't stand inflatable decorations for any holiday and wish they were banned in my town. I've always wandered if you cannot leave a car on your lawn for more than 24 hours, why are you allowed to leave even larger pieces of electrified plastic?
Old Mar 16th 2009, 12:21 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

I also can't stand inflatable decorations for any holiday and wish they were banned in my town.
bloke in my office says that in his hometown (in northern CT) the current fad is for teenagers to drive around shooting them with BB guns. Not that I should condone that kind of thing, but if I was a bored teenager in a rural area it would sound like fun.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 1:33 am
Queen of my house

Originally Posted by elfman
bloke in my office says that in his hometown (in northern CT) the current fad is for teenagers to drive around shooting them with BB guns. Not that I should condone that kind of thing, but if I was a bored teenager in a rural area it would sound like fun.
They do that here, also. However, they usually slice 'em with a utility knife.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 4:15 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

I get distressed when kids are destructive for fun or shits and giggles or whatever.

I'm getting old I guess.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 10:28 pm
Account Closed

Optimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
STFU= Shut the F**k Up.
Im reporting that post. If I were a moderator Id never dare utter such filth.