Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

"The Big One is coming ... "

"The Big One is coming ... "

Old Apr 19th 2006, 9:46 pm
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "The Big One is coming ... "

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
There was an earthquake that hit the NW of England in the early 80's I was living in Chester at the time, it was around 8 am. I was in the bedroom and the wardrobe doors started to rattle, we had those sliding mirror doors at the time. Had it not been for that I don't think I would have noticed anything at all.
I remember one a few years back in the UK think it hit Birmingham and surrounding area's mentioned it to the neighbour the next morning and she asked if I'd been drinking.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britontour
I remember one a few years back in the UK think it hit Birmingham and surrounding area's mentioned it to the neighbour the next morning and she asked if I'd been drinking.
I felt that too all the way up in Huddersfield, I was heavily pregnant at the time and my hubby was away in California, literally shook the whole house and I was terrified as I didn't imagine for one second it was an earthquake, didn't really know what to think. blamed it on my hormones when I woke up in the morning.
Felt two since coming to California, one was tiny, just felt the floor kind of rumble, the other slightly larger, the noise was worse than the actual movement, sounded like a jumbo was about to land on the roof, but neither was as big as the one back in the UK..
Old Apr 19th 2006, 10:23 pm
Just Joined

bodelo will become famous soon enough

I was living in California from 91 so the first one I felt was the Landers quake in April 92, that was a rolling one. Then there was a Pasadena/Sierra Madre one, I tried to run outside as my daughter was by the pool when it hit, got thrown against the wall and we lost a foot of water out of the pool, my daughter, about 8 or 9 at the time....'thought it was cool' !!!
The worst one I felt was Northridge (I think in 94), had a friend that lost his apartment with that one, he lived upstairs and ended up in his downstairs neighbours apartment still in his bed. I was the closest person to where I worked so after the aftershock (always wait for the aftershock cos you dont really know until then if the first one you felt was a pre-shock or the main shock) and making sure that everyone and everything was okay at home I went to the animal hosptial, it looked like a bomb had gone off, glass everywhere, every cupboard and draw opened, the floor was covered in stuff, the animals were mostly okay, just a bit shaken and the hospitals resident cat was in shock.

After Northridge I got to where I didnt even bother getting out of bed for anything less than a 6.0.

Oh...just an FYI: yesterday (18th) it was exactly 100 years since the big SF one.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond repute

I like the brownie earthquakes at DQ.

I'll get my coat....
Old Apr 19th 2006, 10:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bodelo
Oh...just an FYI: yesterday (18th) it was exactly 100 years since the big SF one.

That's why there's been so much about the California earthquakes in the press the last few days.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 11:06 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by bodelo

After Northridge I got to where I didnt even bother getting out of bed for anything less than a 6.0.

The very first friend I ever made in the States, and we're still good buds , moved here to FL after the Northridge one. Her kids were small and were utterly traumatized by the event, so much so that they had to move. It is one blooming scary experience.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 11:36 pm
Notts - CT

nottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
The very first friend I ever made in the States, and we're still good buds , moved here to FL after the Northridge one. Her kids were small and were utterly traumatized by the event, so much so that they had to move. It is one blooming scary experience.
WOW while LA is getting there earthquake NY will be getting there Hurricane.. and Seattle will be getting their Tsunami imagine if they all hit at once. Where would you go??
Old Apr 20th 2006, 12:07 am

syllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nottsinCT
WOW while LA is getting there earthquake NY will be getting there Hurricane.. and Seattle will be getting their Tsunami imagine if they all hit at once. Where would you go??
Probably forced to become an illegal immigrant in Mexico...
Old Apr 20th 2006, 12:10 am
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

... and let's not forget the really big one ... Yellowstone Park. Super-volcano, already due. Blows its top (literally) so high and so far that some "experts" predict it will kill around a billion world wide, including at least one million Americans. Then all the fatties will be in their own element as crops fail. Global cooling will by our main problem along with lack of sunlight for crops. People trained in how to grow SCP will do OK.
Old Apr 20th 2006, 5:30 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Partystar
My Mum said that we (Mum, Dad, Brother & I) were in a small earthquake when we lived in Australia. We were also in a bush fire, we were evacuated & our house burnt down. I also got lost in the bush when I was about 2 (I went 'walkabout') & nearly drowned in a swimming pool around the same age. All this before I was 3 years old & I don't remember a thing about any of it!
Been there, done that too
Old Apr 20th 2006, 11:37 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Elvira][QUOTE=mandpete]
Originally Posted by TruBrit

We went to Kephalonia 17 years ago for our honeymoon and apparently there were earth tremors a few nights. We never noticed them. QUOTE]

Yeah - right!

Hmm. Could be they were making a few tremors of their own.........
Old Apr 20th 2006, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

We were living on Travis AFB,CA. when the San Fransisco earthquake happened in '89(?), we were about 45 miles inland from SF,it was about 5.15pm,and everything started shaking....I watched my big ceramic swan 'swim' right across the top of the tv cabinet....both kids came running,screaming, down the hallway....I thought someone was standing behind my armchair shaking it as hard as they could.....it was very frightening,it seemed like it lasted forever,it make a huge crack in one of the runways on the Base....even scarier to me was if it had happened one week later we would've been right there on the Bay Bridge when it collasped!( I had a Green Card appointment at the INS office)it still sends a shiver down my spine when I think of it....all those poor people who died......Sophia
Old Apr 20th 2006, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

bodelo will become famous soon enough

If the San Andreas goes at the same point it did 300 years ago, the last place I would want to be is Seattle. I think the Mojave Desert will become beach front property if it hits that bad.

Oh yeah....a little political humour:
GWBush: everything thats happened has been his fault, Iraq is his fault, AQ is his fault, Katrina was his fault....theyre renaming the San Andreas Fault, its now known as Bush's Fault !!
Old Apr 21st 2006, 1:38 am
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Well, a big one arrived, big bouncing elephant at magnitude at 7.7 ... but in a remote area, thank heaven.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlates...769746,00.html