View Poll Results: If you live in a house, does it have a basement?
Yes
65.00%
No
35.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Basements

Old Aug 7th 2015, 1:31 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Basements

Originally Posted by zzrmark
That's literally just down the road from my wife's place - I would be very surprised if that house has a basement (there's certainly no pictorial evidence of one).
The listing says it is "on" a lake. Maybe they dug a basement and the listing is literally true?

BTW I checked the Bing "birdseye" view and even at the back that property has a very slight slope down to the lake, so I see no chance that there could be a basement under it.
Old Aug 7th 2015, 11:57 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
So why do houses in Anchorage not have them then?

But on the other hand, about 40% of houses in Fairbanks appear to have them.

That just seems completely random. It just seems to be a function of local custom.
Soil conditions and climate influence things. Fairbanks is a much harsher environment than Anchorage. Also, Anchorage is more seismically active than Fairbanks.

For interest: http://www.uaf.edu/files/ces/publica.../HCM-00952.pdf
Old Aug 8th 2015, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

I worked a year at a tracking station in Thule Greenland. It was a joint US and Danish Air Force base. Thule is way above the artic circle and north of the magnetic pole. All buildings there were sitting above ground on concrete pillars and all the utilities were above ground in very heavily insulated pipes. I was told it was due to the permafrost. In winter they drove greyhound size buses across the bay on a reflector outlined Ice Road.