Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Old batteries and electrical matters

Old batteries and electrical matters

Old Aug 3rd 2014, 2:38 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Old batteries and electrical matters

So I have this old Ever Ready torch/flashlight/lamp as carried at one time by the posties in England. It is marked for the General Post Office (GPO) and has the clip on the back where it can be hooked over a chest pocket. I'm guessing it's from the early sixties, like my bike.

What sort of batteries did/do these things take and are they still in existence? If not, is there a converter thing?

Be warned, I know almost nothing about electricity.
Attached Thumbnails Old batteries and electrical matters-every-ready-1.jpg   Old batteries and electrical matters-ever-ready-2.jpg   Old batteries and electrical matters-every-ready-3.jpg  

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Aug 3rd 2014 at 2:41 am.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 2:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Old batteries and electrical matters

D Cell batteries were common in the 1960s. From what I can see (picture isn't very clear) it looks like it takes 1.5V cylinder type batteries and not the 9V connector type battery. Therefore I suggest you take it with you and find cylinder type batteries that fit perfectly in the torch. It may take 2, 4, or more and the only thing you have to make sure of is the direction you put the batteries in (there should be a + and - marking where the batteries go in).

Last edited by Michael; Aug 3rd 2014 at 3:01 am.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 2:58 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
So I have this old Ever Ready torch/flashlight/lamp as carried at one time by the posties in England. It is marked for the General Post Office (GPO) and has the clip on the back where it can be hooked over a chest pocket. I'm guessing it's from the early sixties, like my bike.

What sort of batteries did/do these things take and are they still in existence? If not, is there a converter thing?

Be warned, I know almost nothing about electricity.
It probably wants something like this - Lantern Battery 996 Power-S Ever Ready Co. GB Ltd.; London, - but not sure if you can get anything like that anymore. Have you thought of contacting Ever Ready?

It may be possible to get something else that would work - might have to be custom made to fit though.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 3:04 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
D Cell batteries were common in the 1960s. From what I can see (picture isn't very clear) it looks like it takes 1.5V cylinder type batteries and not the 9V connector type battery. Therefore I suggest you take it with you and find cylinder type batteries that fit perfectly in the torch. It may take 2, 4, or more and the only thing you have to make sure of is the direction you put the batteries in (there should be a + and - marking where the batteries go in).
Was an English D cell then the same as an American D cell now?

I've been googling to try and find what voltage it needs. No directional signals, but there is one contact on the side, inside, on the side where the bulb is, and the one at the top with the metal thing that gets pushed flat under pressure when the lid is on.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
It probably wants something like this - Lantern Battery 996 Power-S Ever Ready Co. GB Ltd.; London, - but not sure if you can get anything like that anymore. Have you thought of contacting Ever Ready?

It may be possible to get something else that would work - might have to be custom made to fit though.
It would have to be flatter than that. The body isn't square and I think that battery is.

Can I call Ever Ready without sounding like a loon?
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 3:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Those are the 9V type that are connected with a wire with contacts. It appears that she needs 1.5V battery that contacts by just pushing on the battery.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 3:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Was an English D cell then the same as an American D cell now?

I've been googling to try and find what voltage it needs. No directional signals, but there is one contact on the side, inside, on the side where the bulb is, and the one at the top with the metal thing that gets pushed flat under pressure when the lid is on.
1.5V was and is the most common around the world. Polarity doesn't make any difference in a torch but the batteries should be in the same direction. It may not work in the wrong direction since it is not contacting correctly and if it doesn't work, then switch directions.

I suspect the flat end of the battery is what contacts the switch in the back and the other side (knobby end) contacts the light bulb when the switch pushes the battery forward.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 3:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You could but I'm sure it will be like calling the USCIS misinformation line.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 3:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

1.5V was and is the most common around the world. Polarity doesn't make any difference in a torch but the batteries should be in the same direction. It may not work in the wrong direction since it is not contacting correctly and if it doesn't work, then switch directions.

I suspect the flat end of the battery is what contacts the switch in the back and the other side (knobby end) contacts the light bulb when the switch pushes the battery forward.
Reverse the polarity!

Old Aug 3rd 2014, 3:31 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

It would have to be flatter than that. The body isn't square and I think that battery is.

Sorry, didn't look close enough

It looks like the old flat batteries - maybe 3 cell, 4.5V.

I'd send them an email with some pics and see if you can get any interest.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 3:32 am

So it's really as simple as putting two of these in?

Robot Check Robot Check

How does it make contact with the contact on the inside side of the torch?

Sorry if I'm being dense.

I think I might need the "cycle lamp" on this ancient list.

http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/a...9&d=1326657131

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Aug 3rd 2014 at 3:34 am.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Where is the Doctor when you need him?
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 3:38 am

So it's really as simple as putting two of these in?

Robot Check

How does it make contact with the contact on the inside side of the torch?

Sorry if I'm being dense.
No, it wouldn't make contact. If you have any old power cable that you can cut up and strip down you can maybe botch something. You would need to get the cable to touch the centre contact at the front and the other end to a battery. You'd need a second cable to touch the top contact and the other end of the battery. You can work out what voltage by trying with one battery first (any size you have around) and if that doesn't work, add another. Batteries need to go in the same direction so the + from one battery makes contact with the - (minus) of the next battery. If you can do that, you can then work out how to fit them inside the torch.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 3:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Where is the Doctor when you need him?
A quick trip to 1960 and you'd be sorted
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 3:41 am

No, it wouldn't make contact. If you have any old power cable that you can cut up and strip down you can maybe botch something. You would need to get the cable to touch the centre contact at the front and the other end to a battery. You'd need a second cable to touch the top contact and the other end of the battery. You can work out what voltage by trying with one battery first (any size you have around) and if that doesn't work, add another. Batteries need to go in the same direction so the + from one battery makes contact with the - (minus) of the next battery. If you can do that, you can then work out how to fit them inside the torch.
Waaay out of my comfort zone with electricity.

Somebody must have made a converter thing somewhere.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.