Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Banks that don't charge for receiving wires

Banks that don't charge for receiving wires

Old Jan 17th 2014, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

savannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Banks that don't charge for receiving wires

Hi everyone, is that a US bank that doesn't charge (or charges a lot less) for receiving a wire transfer? I get charged $15 each time via Bank of America I receive a transfer from the UK.
I imagine if I could find one then I could wire to that bank and then just send the payment back to BOA for no charge?
Old Jan 17th 2014, 3:39 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Banks that don't charge for receiving wires

Originally Posted by savannah_boy
Hi everyone, is that a US bank that doesn't charge for receiving a wire transfer? I get charged $15 each time via Bank of America I receive a transfer from the UK.
My local credit union doesn't charge to receive a wire.

Capital One 360 do not charge to receive wires, BUT they only accept domestic wires not international.

Why are you wiring money from the UK anyway? It's obscenely expensive and you lose badly in the fees / crap exchange rate used.

Use either xe.com, currencyfair.com, Transfer Wise and many others like them.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

savannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Banks that don't charge for receiving wires

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
My local credit union doesn't charge to receive a wire.

Capital One 360 do not charge to receive wires, BUT they only accept domestic wires not international.

Why are you wiring money from the UK anyway? It's obscenely expensive and you lose badly in the fees / crap exchange rate used.

Use either xe.com, currencyfair.com, Transfer Wise and many others like them.
I was using HiFX. They charge 9GBP to send and then BOA charge 15USD to receive. Can someone outline the savings with XE.com please

Last edited by savannah_boy; Jan 17th 2014 at 3:44 pm. Reason: more info
Old Jan 17th 2014, 3:46 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

I was using HiFX. They charge 9GBP to send and then BOA charge 15USD to receive. Can someone outline the savings with XE.com please
You're kinda missing the point. You need to compare the money you would receive in USD via HiFX than using your current wire solution from the UK (which is absolutely going to cost you more).
Old Jan 17th 2014, 3:52 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Xe.com can (if you select the right "credit" option) send credits into the US as ACH credits, not wires. They'll send wires on request, but then you get stuck with the wire fee.