Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Backwards East Coast Liquor Laws!

Backwards East Coast Liquor Laws!

Old Oct 28th 2008, 2:08 am
2nd Gen Indian-American

Location: formerly Orange Co, CA ('07-early '09), back living btw Baltimore and DC thank god 'cept weather
fiestada will become famous soon enoughfiestada will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Backwards East Coast Liquor Laws!

Originally Posted by frrussre
We had same problem in GA recently. Waitress said, go 500 yards up the road, you can get beer. UGH!

Funny country sometimes, no alcohol, no nudity, but machine guns are ok.
Anyone for a gold plated Desert Eagle.

Forget about a round of beers, how about 5000 rounds of armor piercing AMMO.

Adds new meaning.

"Make mine half" "Ok give 2500 rounds of ammo."
You can thank the Scots-Irish in part.

http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110005798

From the WSJ Opinion Archives
CAMPAIGN 2004
Secret GOP Weapon
The Scots-Irish vote. by JAMES WEBB
Saturday, October 23, 2004 12:01 A.M. EDT

To an outsider George W. Bush's political demeanor seems little more than stumbling tautology. He utters his campaign message in clipped phrases, filled with bravado and repeated references to God, and to resoluteness of purpose. But to a trained eye and ear these performances have the deliberate balance of a country singer at the Grand Ole Opry.

Speaking in a quasirural dialect that his critics dismiss as affected, W. is telling his core voting groups that he is one of them. No matter that he is the product of many generations of wealth; that his grandfather was a New England senator; that his father moved the family's wealth South just like the hated Carpetbaggers after the Civil War; that he himself went North to Andover and Yale and Harvard when it came time for serious grooming. And as with the persona, so also with the key issues. The Bush campaign proceeds outward from a familiar mantra: strong leadership, success in war, neighbor helping neighbor, family values, and belief in God. Contrary to many analyses, these issues reach much farther than the oft-discussed Christian right. The president will not win re-election without carrying the votes of the Scots-Irish, along with those others who make up the "Jacksonian" political culture that has migrated toward the values of this ethnic group.
<snip>

Last edited by Bob; Oct 28th 2008 at 4:57 pm. Reason: copyright issues
Old Oct 28th 2008, 10:55 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fiestada

CAMPAIGN 2004
Secret GOP Weapon

To an outsider George W. Bush's political demeanor seems little more than stumbling tautology. He utters his campaign message in clipped phrases, filled with bravado and repeated references to God, and to resoluteness of purpose. But to a trained eye and ear these performances have the deliberate balance of a country singer at the Grand Ole Opry.

Speaking in a quasirural dialect that his critics dismiss as affected, W. is telling his core voting groups that he is one of them. No matter that he is the product of many generations of wealth; that his grandfather was a New England senator; that his father moved the family's wealth South just like the hated Carpetbaggers after the Civil War; that he himself went North to Andover and Yale and Harvard when it came time for serious grooming. And as with the persona, so also with the key issues. The Bush campaign proceeds outward from a familiar mantra: strong leadership, success in war, neighbor helping neighbor, family values, and belief in God. Contrary to many analyses, these issues reach much farther than the oft-discussed Christian right. The president will not win re-election without carrying the votes of the Scots-Irish, along with those others who make up the "Jacksonian" political culture that has migrated toward the values of this ethnic group.
<snip>
yes.

Last edited by Bob; Oct 28th 2008 at 4:58 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 7:45 pm
2nd Gen Indian-American

Location: formerly Orange Co, CA ('07-early '09), back living btw Baltimore and DC thank god 'cept weather
fiestada will become famous soon enoughfiestada will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by cindyabs
yes.
ironically I read in the book Freethinkers that New England was more "conservative" than the south until the early or mid 19th century

http://books.google.com/books?id=7P2...um=1&ct=result
Old Oct 28th 2008, 7:49 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

ironically I read in the book Freethinkers that New England was more "conservative" than the south until the early or mid 19th century

http://books.google.com/books?id=7P2...um=1&ct=result
Different set of colonists, religion wise, areas of the UK wise and cuteness wise.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 8:30 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

CAMPAIGN 2004
Secret GOP Weapon

<snip>
Now the junior senator for Virginia. I love that guy, despite some of his earlier poorly thought out views.

Weird thing is, he was in Vietnam and write a novel called Fields of Fire based on his experiences which I read when I was 16. There was profound stuff in that, and it changed a lot of my views on wanting to join the army. So in a strange way he actually taught me a few things without ever having met him.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 8:45 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
I keep on hearing about the wine in Trader Joe's and of course, our's doesn't sell it.:curse:

We do have one independent wine merchant in Pittsburgh but I think they can only sell by the case. Then we have the PA wineries but I have this feeling the wine would taste like vinegar.
I don't know how correct this is, but I've heard that Wegmans and Sheetz are really pushing for a change in who can sell alcohol in PA.
The state makes tons of money off of the ancient liquor laws in PA I think, hence why they are so reluctant to change anything.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 10:30 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
I don't know how correct this is, but I've heard that Wegmans and Sheetz are really pushing for a change in who can sell alcohol in PA.
The state makes tons of money off of the ancient liquor laws in PA I think, hence why they are so reluctant to change anything.
I went to a wine tasting evening, held by the independent wine merchant and he explained how they got their licence but sadly I have forgotten (too much tasting).
He had been told by the liquor board a few years ago that the laws were going to be relaxed and that he would be able to sell single bottles of wine.

He still hopes it will happen...obviously..good for business ..but he is not holding his breath.

I just get so fed up with the same old wines all the time.
There was an article in the paper here about how much Yellow Tail wine the board had sold and how popular it was ....yes, because there isn't much choice.:curse:
Old Oct 30th 2008, 10:50 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejpm1
I bet when you read this back to yourself it seemed really clever and witty...
I thought it was.
Old Nov 1st 2008, 9:18 am
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by Ridski
Now the junior senator for Virginia. I love that guy, despite some of his earlier poorly thought out views.

Weird thing is, he was in Vietnam and write a novel called Fields of Fire based on his experiences which I read when I was 16. There was profound stuff in that, and it changed a lot of my views on wanting to join the army. So in a strange way he actually taught me a few things without ever having met him.
I would have liked to have seen him more prominent in the POTUS sweepstakes.

I AM going to get that book Born Fighting.