Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

To avoid any hidden costs when moving from UK to Houston

To avoid any hidden costs when moving from UK to Houston

Old Sep 10th 2007, 1:11 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To avoid any hidden costs when moving from UK to Houston

WTF you doing in Sealy - you sure didn't come all the way down there for the nightlife......or the scenery...or the culture....or the food....why DID you go there?
Old Sep 10th 2007, 1:19 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wokster
Is it not the case that because Texans don't pay any state taxes that it evens itself out...................or am I just being naive?

I have also read somewhere that you can offsett your property tax against your federal taxes, is this the case?

Thanks again.
You're right that we don't pay state income tax. As to whether it evens out, well......I seem to remember someone on here posting a link to a report on overall taxation by state - can't remember who - Bob maybe? search around and you may find it. But be aware that it varies a lot within each state as well - the property tax is set by the school districts and
municipal utility districts wherever the house is, so we could be paying significantly more than someone living out in the Boonies to the west of us. Until the massive urban sprawl engulfs them that is....

As for being able to offset against Federal taxes - yes, if you itemise your deductions you can - if you take the standard deductions I dont think you can..
Old Sep 10th 2007, 1:21 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
WTF you doing in Sealy - you sure didn't come all the way down there for the nightlife......or the scenery...or the culture....or the food....why DID you go there?
delivery to a Walmart Distribution Center.
Came down US59 all the way from Texarkana.......what a complete bitch of a road.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 1:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
Came down US59 all the way from Texarkana.......what a complete bitch of a road.
Hey Manc next time you're in NJ give me a shout...we could talk politics.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 1:25 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hey Manc next time you're in NJ give me a shout...we could talk politics.
I am sometimes there, we have a terminal in North Brunswick I usually stay at if down that neck of the woods.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 1:32 pm

I was away too long....I thought you were in insurance!
Old Sep 10th 2007, 1:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I am sometimes there, we have a terminal in North Brunswick I usually stay at if down that neck of the woods.
I'm in Morris County...not too far from the I80/I287 intersection. Roland Hulme lives in that neck of the woods...I believe he supports Rudy.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 10th 2007 at 2:04 pm.