Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

To avoid any hidden costs when moving from UK to Houston

To avoid any hidden costs when moving from UK to Houston

Old Sep 9th 2007, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

wokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nice
Default To avoid any hidden costs when moving from UK to Houston

Hi there,

It is now looking highly likely that my family and I will be moving from the UK to Houston early next year, and I was wondering if any members could advise me on what costs to expect once there.

I have been advised that my company will continue to pay my familys healthcare once we are there and the amount will be $11,000 per year. My son has Down Syndrome and will require an operation to fix a small hole in his heart in about 18 months, but otherwise he is as healthy as anyone his age (2). I am an insulin dependent diabetic who will require two types of tablets and two types of Insulin pens. I also have a Daughter, a baby due to be born on October 25th and obviously a Wife. Will $11,000 be sufficient to cover my whole family for a year?

I would also like to ask what taxes you are required to pay in Houston - local taxes, national taxes? At the moment I obviously pay income tax (at below the 40% rate), national insurance and council tax by law. While I voluntarily pay home insurance, life insurance, car insurance etc. Obviously some of these costs will remain, some won't and some new ones will be added, so I am really looking to be made aware of what costs I would expect which differ to the UK.

To give you a complete picture, my Wife will not work for probably the first year or so as she will be looking after our baby, my Daughter will be 18 in July 2008 and looking to move in to higher education (is there a large cost related to this?), my Son is due to start a nursery placement here in October, so I would be looking for a similar arrangement in the US (I have heard children with special needs get there education paid for until they are 21?), and I will be working full time.

I also have a dog and cat who I wish to bring over with us and I thought as there was no quarantine it was just a case of if there jags were up to date they could travel with you, but I have since heard that it is quite a lengthy process?

We will probably rent for the first 3-6 months and then look to buy a property in the Katy/Sugarland areas which are about a 30/40 minute commute from our office. Are there associated costs once you own a property as in a US equivelant to council tax etc.?

I really want us to go in to this with our eyes open, so there are no surprises when we eventiually arrive. The information may also be beneficial when it comes to negotiating my deal with my employer as all they have said so far is how much they will give me for medical insurance. They have assured me that they will make it worth my while, but any information I can find out would put me in a better bargaining position.

Thank you in advance and I look forward to getting to know you all over the next few weeks and months before our big move

Last edited by wokster; Sep 9th 2007 at 6:50 am.
Old Sep 9th 2007, 7:07 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To avoid any hidden costs when moving from UK to Houston

Originally Posted by wokster
Hi there,

It is now looking highly likely that my family and I will be moving from the UK to Houston early next year, and I was wondering if any members could advise me on what costs to expect once there.

I have been advised that my company will continue to pay my familys healthcare once we are there and the amount will be $11,000 per year. My son has Down Syndrome and will require an operation to fix a small hole in his heart in about 18 months, but otherwise he is as healthy as anyone his age (2). I am an insulin dependent diabetic who will require two types of tablets and two types of Insulin pens. I also have a Daughter, a baby due to be born on October 25th and obviously a Wife. Will $11,000 be sufficient to cover my whole family for a year?

I would also like to ask what taxes you are required to pay in Houston - local taxes, national taxes? At the moment I obviously pay income tax (at below the 40% rate), national insurance and council tax by law. While I voluntarily pay home insurance, life insurance, car insurance etc. Obviously some of these costs will remain, some won't and some new ones will be added, so I am really looking to be made aware of what costs I would expect which differ to the UK.

To give you a complete picture, my Wife will not work for probably the first year or so as she will be looking after our baby, my Daughter will be 18 in July 2008 and looking to move in to higher education (is there a large cost related to this?), my Son is due to start a nursery placement here in October, so I would be looking for a similar arrangement in the US (I have heard children with special needs get there education paid for until they are 21?), and I will be working full time.

I also have a dog and cat who I wish to bring over with us and I thought as there was no quarantine it was just a case of if there jags were up to date they could travel with you, but I have since heard that it is quite a lengthy process?

We will probably rent for the first 3-6 months and then look to buy a property in the Katy/Sugarland areas which are about a 30/40 minute commute from our office. Are there associated costs once you own a property as in a US equivelant to council tax etc.?

I really want us to go in to this with our eyes open, so there are no surprises when we eventiually arrive. The information may also be beneficial when it comes to negotiating my deal with my employer as all they have said so far is how much they will give me for medical insurance. They have assured me that they will make it worth my while, but any information I can find out would put me in a better bargaining position.

Thank you in advance and I look forward to getting to know you all over the next few weeks and months before our big move
Wow, you have a lot to think about.

But it seems that in your situation, absolutely #1 is health care. You ask whether $11,000 p.a. is enough for health insurance - does your company have its own health care insurance plan, or are they saying they will give you $11,000 towards your health insurance? Or $11,000 towards your actual health care costs? If the latter, I doubt it will cover you - plus all it would take is a major health problem and it's definitely not enough. If it's $11,000 towards your health insurance, I have no idea. If they have a company health insurance plan that costs them $11,000 per year, the amount of the premiums is irrelevant - you should ask them for a leaflet explaining the coverage you get.
Old Sep 9th 2007, 7:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

$11,000 should be towards health insurance. However, health insurances can be really harsh over here, because if you have a pre-existing condition, some of them can refuse to treat you......not sure how that will work.

I can say that yes your child that has Down's Syndrome will qualify (once 3 years old) for public pre-school. Probably the best deal out of the whole thing - well hopefully not in your case.

The best of luck and do make sure you know about the health insurance before you move over - could be very expensive if it isn't the right deal.
Old Sep 9th 2007, 7:33 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Dunroving and Amerlisa: you absolutely have to check whatever healthcare plan they are offering you with a very fine toothcomb - including the formulary of drugs and their co-pays that would be covered.

Be aware that many plans in the US do not cover insulin pens unless there is a medical reason (eg arthritis or very poor eyesight) why a diabetic cannot inject with a syringe.

Also check whether other diabetic supplies are covered - those testing strips and glucose monitors can be expensive.

And there is the question of your son's heart op - who will pay for that...
Old Sep 9th 2007, 9:16 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

first of all, good luck, seems to me like you have a lot on your plate mate.

As others have said, healthcare for your son and your diabetes would be of primary concern.......
I would mandate in the coverage you get from your employer that ALL pre existing conditions are met with little to zero in out of pocket expenses. (which it would be in the UK)

Also, try and negotiate your 4 weeks UK holiday coming over or you could be stuck with just 10 days paid holiday.
Old Sep 9th 2007, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

wokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nice

Thanks to everyone who took the time out to post

I don't know exactly which company my employer uses, all I know is that it is a company policy which is worth $11,000 a year and that I can add to it if I want.

The holiday business is a concern and would definitely be a dealbreaker as I get 25 holidays a year + around 11 stats, so to go down to 10

I would appreciate any advice onwhat our cost of living expenses, taxes, local charges etc would be?

Thanks again.
Old Sep 9th 2007, 11:05 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

...I don't know exactly which company my employer uses, all I know is that it is a company policy which is worth $11,000 a year and that I can add to it if I want.

The holiday business is a concern and would definitely be a dealbreaker as I get 25 holidays a year + around 11 stats, so to go down to 10

I would appreciate any advice onwhat our cost of living expenses, taxes, local charges etc would be?

Thanks again.

You need to get your priorities straight...... it's the MEDICAL stuff which could turn out to be the deal breaker in your case.

Until you've got that sorted, worrying about living expenses and taxes - not to mention holidays - is completely irrelevant....
Old Sep 9th 2007, 11:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira

You need to get your priorities straight...... it's the MEDICAL stuff which could turn out to be the deal breaker in your case.
Hear, hear!

You truly don't want to be here, with all of your existing medical conditions in your family and not be covered, or have to pay out of pocket......do you?
Old Sep 9th 2007, 1:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to everyone who took the time out to post

I don't know exactly which company my employer uses, all I know is that it is a company policy which is worth $11,000 a year and that I can add to it if I want.

Thanks again.
Just to give you an idea of diabetic costs. I'm a non-insulin dependent diabetic and my meds and supplies cost around $2000 a year after insurance coverage. Without insurance they would be around $6000. I'm guessing that the insulin you are on is something like lantus and novolog, in which case the cost price of those is around $175 per 15ml if you use the pens, around $90 if you get a vial, that's not including needles. Testing strips will run anywhere from about $60 to $100 per 100 depending on the meter and lancets will be around $8 to $12 per 100 depending on the type you use. You also have to remember that even if you have insurance, it may not cover what you currently take or may only cover a low % of the cost.
Old Sep 9th 2007, 3:26 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

I can only reiterate that you need to find out what the "$11,000" actually means and what is and is not covered. Is it a company transfer? Are you buying a property? in which case you will have to pay property tax. You will need to budget for utilities including trash collection, car and property insurance and possibly life assurance and pension contributions. Yes, college is pricey here. If you are earning below the top rate tax in UK is the move going to compensate you enough for the additional costs incurred?
Old Sep 9th 2007, 3:49 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with all the points raised so far.

As to your daughter wishing to go on to higher education in the US, do check the residency requirements in regards to tuition fees. AFAIK, a student needs to be resident for at least one year to be eligible to be charged for in-state fees....and as soon as a student crosses the state line to attend college out of state the fees are normally double the in-state fees.

You need to check that your daughter won't be charged the international student rate for tuition fees if she hasn't been living in the US for a year before her course begins.

Also.....don't rush into selling your home in the UK until you know for sure that you're going to settle in the States....preferably with a green card in your hand before you sell up in Blighty.

Last year my husband moved a family with 3 children over from the UK and they were over-the-moon to move to the States. They sold their home in Greater London and bought a McMansion for $1m in New Jersey. A couple of weeks after they arrived we went out for lunch and they were telling me that they were very keen to apply for Green Cards.

I was astonished when my husband told me a couple of days ago that the family were moving back to the UK this weekend (luckily he was able to transfer to a new project management job with the company back in London).

It turned out that the wife just couldn't settle and found it difficult to foster any close friendships. They have managed to get their two eldest children into their old schools - but are having to go into a rental home. The husband is livid about having to pay the (normal) 6% commission to the realtor (estate agents) to sell his house here.....and they had to sell their cars cheaply too. In addition, as it was their choice to return to the UK the company is not fully paying for the cost of the move but making a contribution towards it.
Old Sep 9th 2007, 3:52 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Guess you're getting plenty of info on medical...

On other stuff - we're out in Katy, new 5000sqft house, so basing the figs on that....

Property tax - runs around 3-4% of the value of the house annually - the realtor will be able to give you the exact figures for any property you look at.
So buy a half mill house, and you're looking at 15-20k annually. Its a bit different to Council Tax in the UK in that here, when you're renting, the property tax is picked up by the owner.

HOA - around 750-1000 depending on the area

House Insurance - ours is just short of 2000 a year - can't remember the exact fig offhand

Utilities - Electricity/Gas combine we average around 250/month when we're running aircon, a little cheaper in the winter when we run heat... but when we were looking at houses, we saw a few identical to ours and most sellers declared average 600/month...I guess a lot of folk that just run the aircon full blast all summer and the heat full blast all "winter"..gets pricey and seems a little crazy when my 6 year old could programme the thermostat....
water is metered - we average around 50/month over the year - higher in summer when you run the sprinklers...cheaper this year cos its been so freakin wet!

Cabletv/internet - going to depend what package you want, but reckon on around $100 (thats about what we pay for fairly basic tv, broadband internet, and includes security monitoring on the house burglar alarm)

Car Insurance - we pay a little under 600/6 months for 2 cars ( I think). Then theres an annual registration fee of $65 and an annual inspection sort of like the MOT once the car is 3 (?) years old - runs around $30. And work your numbers on 2 cars - you will need them - there is no public transport to speak of out here. If you're working downtown, and your wife was willing/able to drop you at the park and ride in the morning and pick you up in the evenings you might get away with one, but really I'd work on 2.

Can't think of anything else...if you need any more, give us a shout. Godo luck! And in case you missed the message, get your medical sorted out! On that point, we had some friends with a kid with Downs, and they actually relocated to Houston a few years back specifically because its apparently one of the best places in the world for getting help/therapy/treatment with Downs.
Old Sep 9th 2007, 3:54 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes I forgot water and cable tv - or old rope.
Old Sep 9th 2007, 4:36 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
Yes I forgot water and cable tv - or old rope.
You buy your old rope? I've never needed to...normally have some knockig around in the garage...very well travelled it is too........
Old Sep 9th 2007, 5:40 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Just to give you an idea of diabetic costs. I'm a non-insulin dependent diabetic and my meds and supplies cost around $2000 a year after insurance coverage. Without insurance they would be around $6000. I'm guessing that the insulin you are on is something like lantus and novolog, in which case the cost price of those is around $175 per 15ml if you use the pens, around $90 if you get a vial, that's not including needles. Testing strips will run anywhere from about $60 to $100 per 100 depending on the meter and lancets will be around $8 to $12 per 100 depending on the type you use. You also have to remember that even if you have insurance, it may not cover what you currently take or may only cover a low % of the cost.
Your damn expensive ... I'm arranging to have you put down .....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.