Autism

Old Nov 26th 2018, 11:39 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Autism

Was reading a CNN article today that said it's estimated that 1 in 40 US children are on the autism spectrum.

I don't know anyone with autism directly, although a couple of friends/acquaintances have kids on the spectrum; they've posted about it on FB.
I've also spent quite a bit of time perusing the r/parenting and r/childfree subreddits. Can't give exact ratios/percentages, but a surprisingly high
number of people report having autistic kids.

On a related note, I've seen the South Park episodes about ADD/ADHD, and just whacking the kids and it's miraculously cured. I've also read articles about how ADD/ADHD is managed/treated in France. They don't hand out speed or drugs, what have you. There are allusions/inferences to "bad parenting". Participation trophies. REEEEE! memes/autistic screeching. The Curious Case of the Dog in the Nightime. Not letting kids fail. Making kids the center of your universe instead of just having the kids (Bratleigh and Maddysen) tag along with the parents. Things have definitely changed since I was child.

Usually I was in a class of 30 kids during my middle school years. There were perhaps 1-2 kids per class who had asthma. I don't remember anyone having a peanut allergy at all.
I still like drinking milk; which quietly disgusts/freaks out some my friends. I don't remember any celiacs. Something(s) is definitely changing - I have some vague theories; would be interested in yours.

I think it is probably primarily environmental changes. Take for example, the declining sperm rate in Western males. People link it to plastic wrapping, or oestrogen released into the water supply from women taking the pill. I'm sure sedentary jobs/not exercising is probably a significant factor too.

So what's the deal with autism. What is causing it? I've heard about the anti-vaxxers. But it seems entirely plausible to me that there could be a link to antidepressant use by the parents. I hope scientists/researchers can find a link. I really feed bad for people that have to care for and nurture and educate these poor kids.
Old Nov 29th 2018, 2:06 am
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Autism

I'm watching tonight's new episode of South Park right now and it immediately reminded me of this thread 😁

Must catch up on the other one you mentioned.

Also: no idea

Last edited by Jack8602; Nov 29th 2018 at 2:10 am.
Old Nov 29th 2018, 11:05 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Could equally be the natural evolution of the human species (although timescales are very short for evolution)

Could be God saying we need less people on his Earth too.

Take a wild guess, and you might be right
Old Nov 29th 2018, 4:57 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

That article is nothing but speculation basically. There's a lot of 'may' in it.
Old Nov 29th 2018, 5:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

If you read the article you may wonder if the author went to High School. Semi-literate.

This is much better - https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/autism/causes/