Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Anyone know any clever financial advisers ?

Anyone know any clever financial advisers ?

Old Sep 10th 2006, 4:11 am
Forum Regular

miss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant future
Default Anyone know any clever financial advisers ?

We have been in Australia since Jan 2001 & are intending at this stage to head back to the UK in 2008/09. We are looking for someone who can give us really good professional advice re tax/super etc etc so that we can take all the necessary steps to maximise our finances (need to in order to be able to afford life in the UK !!). We really need someone who is clued up about finances in both Oz & the UK. A big ask I know but there must be someone out there (in either country) who knows about these things ? Anyone have any experience/suggestions ?
I'll cross post this onto the Barbie forum as well - just in case.
Old Sep 10th 2006, 8:34 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone know any clever financial advisers ?

Originally Posted by miss piggy
We have been in Australia since Jan 2001 & are intending at this stage to head back to the UK in 2008/09. We are looking for someone who can give us really good professional advice re tax/super etc etc so that we can take all the necessary steps to maximise our finances (need to in order to be able to afford life in the UK !!). We really need someone who is clued up about finances in both Oz & the UK. A big ask I know but there must be someone out there (in either country) who knows about these things ? Anyone have any experience/suggestions ?
I'll cross post this onto the Barbie forum as well - just in case.
I know Eurotramp mentioned an expat-savvy IFA on here a while back. I called him for a preliminary chat about mortgages before moving back, but it wasn't really a long or involved enough discussion for me to tell how good he was. Maybe if she used him she can get on here and tell you.

I'll be watching this space as I'm in the same spot - a rather weak and complicated financial situation because of dollar/GBP fluctuations, weak overseas property market (starting back on the ladder just 15 years shy of retirement, etc.) It's just killing me that while the houses I bought in TN and NC went up maybe 10% in 10 years, property here has tripled in the same time period.

The press seems to be pretty discouraging about the standard of financial advice here - I think there were two independent surveys done recently, for example. There is a Web set www.impartial.co.uk that you can get on to find a truly independent financial advisor - I have a meeting with one from the site next Friday. But this doesn't answer your question about being expat finance savvy of course.

There are some companies linked to this site, I think (when you first log in).