Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Anyone flying Northwest/Delta be prepared for the Sky Team experience...

Anyone flying Northwest/Delta be prepared for the Sky Team experience...

Old Aug 7th 2009, 9:16 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone flying Northwest/Delta be prepared for the Sky Team experience...

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
or European Airline.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 9:38 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone flying Northwest/Delta be prepared for the Sky Team experience...

Originally Posted by Manc
or European Airline.
Thought BA or Virgin would of got a mention.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

atlanta yorkie will become famous soon enoughatlanta yorkie will become famous soon enough

Thats because they are crap and on the whole treat travellers as an inconvenience.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 10:46 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by atlanta yorkie
Thats because they are crap and on the whole treat travellers as an inconvenience.
that's probably why the airline industry refers to passengers as self loading cargo
Old Aug 7th 2009, 11:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jan_michigan
My son has been flying to the US for visits couple times a year for the last 7 years this year was a living nightmare, not only did he get detained by customs who were beyond rude (they called him a retarded moron because he couldnt read a form they wanted him to fill in, he has dyslexia) after being cleared he'd missed his flight, he said whenever he mentioned he had an onward flight they laughed and told him 'what a shame you've missed that'. He went to the NW/Delta check in desk to see if there was a possibility of getting on another flight and they had no record of him being on the London - Minneapolis stage !! Thank goodness hes a seasoned traveller now as he stood with his passes and argued the point, they eventually got him onto a flight the next afternoon. This meant staying at the airport overnight and spending huge amounts of money on food.

At the Anchorage end we were frantically trying to get someone to give us even a tiny slither of information now i know that hes over 18 so technically they wernt supposed to be handing out passenger details but i also happen to be the one who paid for his ticket on my credit card. In 3 seperate visits (yes we went home overrnight) we were told he'd be arriving on 3 different flights he was on none, he managed to get onto a Delta flight somewhere in between us driving the 100 miles round trip to the airport and home.
Kid says he probably wont visit again for a while as he doesnt want to go through that again.

Good luck with the NW/Delta nightmare
Isn't that horrible? I'm sorry your son had to go through all of that.....surely makes you think twice about getting on another plane.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 4:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jan_michigan
My son has been flying to the US for visits couple times a year for the last 7 years this year was a living nightmare, not only did he get detained by customs who were beyond rude (they called him a retarded moron because he couldnt read a form they wanted him to fill in, he has dyslexia) after being cleared he'd missed his flight, he said whenever he mentioned he had an onward flight they laughed and told him 'what a shame you've missed that'. He went to the NW/Delta check in desk to see if there was a possibility of getting on another flight and they had no record of him being on the London - Minneapolis stage !! Thank goodness hes a seasoned traveller now as he stood with his passes and argued the point, they eventually got him onto a flight the next afternoon. This meant staying at the airport overnight and spending huge amounts of money on food.

At the Anchorage end we were frantically trying to get someone to give us even a tiny slither of information now i know that hes over 18 so technically they wernt supposed to be handing out passenger details but i also happen to be the one who paid for his ticket on my credit card. In 3 seperate visits (yes we went home overrnight) we were told he'd be arriving on 3 different flights he was on none, he managed to get onto a Delta flight somewhere in between us driving the 100 miles round trip to the airport and home.
Kid says he probably wont visit again for a while as he doesnt want to go through that again.

Good luck with the NW/Delta nightmare

Sounds like most of the issues was a immigration and customs issue and not an airline issue, when one misses a flight the reservation is cancelled as no-show and depending on system being used, the reservation can be difficult to re-locate.

Doesn't matter who pays for the ticket, only the passenger named on the ticket has the right to the information in the reservation. Its up to the passenger to inform anyone of any flight changes.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 4:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

If you look at the majority on the list, they dont have to fly in highly competitive domestic markets either.

US airlines are competing in one the most competitive air markets in the world, and like most services in the US is very price sensitive, US consumers have shown time and again they are not willing to pay more for better service, and have shown time after time most want the lowest possible fare and anything else is just a bounus.

There are of course exceptions and some will pay more better service but they dont make enough of the flying population to have much affect on airline service.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 11:27 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

I had the same problem with One World when I flew ORD-MAN in April.

ticketted through BA but on an AA plane.

neither knew their arse from their elbow.

With regards Continental flying for Star Alliance, is there room for a 3rd US carrier in that network?
I REALLY try and avoid that scenario unless the customer insists (usually due to cost) because if there's a problem it's up to the ticketing airline to fix it, and that is nearly always a real pain in the patoot.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 11:35 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
If you look at the majority on the list, they dont have to fly in highly competitive domestic markets either.
But all 10 of the top 10 are competing for the same Europe -> Middle East / Far East traffic.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 5:23 am
Account Closed

But all 10 of the top 10 are competing for the same Europe -> Middle East / Far East traffic.
But they have non-existent or very small domestic networks to support, and that is where US airlines have a disadvantage,
Old Aug 9th 2009, 5:34 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I REALLY try and avoid that scenario unless the customer insists (usually due to cost) because if there's a problem it's up to the ticketing airline to fix it, and that is nearly always a real pain in the patoot.
When I was working in ORD, there was a online trave agency that shall not be named, who was booking passengers on our airline, but ticketing was being done by Frontier, and always a paper ticket, (before everything was electronic) and never done right.

Frontier did not serve Chicago O'hare so that added to the problem since we could not allow the passenger to travel without the proper flight coupons.

If I recall correctly they had to go over to Midway Airport and see Frontier, I worked mostly gate, but the ticket counter hated seeing these tickets.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 11:05 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

When I was working in ORD, there was a online trave agency that shall not be named, who was booking passengers on our airline, but ticketing was being done by Frontier, and always a paper ticket, (before everything was electronic) and never done right.

Frontier did not serve Chicago O'hare so that added to the problem since we could not allow the passenger to travel without the proper flight coupons.

If I recall correctly they had to go over to Midway Airport and see Frontier, I worked mostly gate, but the ticket counter hated seeing these tickets.
That's still a problem with people doing online- they look at the price period and don't pay attention to problems that can crop up, either with too short or too long connections or combining more than one airline, or even changing airports......sigh.......
Old Aug 9th 2009, 1:06 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by cindyabs
That's still a problem with people doing online- they look at the price period and don't pay attention to problems that can crop up, either with too short or too long connections or combining more than one airline, or even changing airports......sigh.......
I fixed enough mistakes by expedia, and the like that I only book direct through the airline, and all travel on one airline, I dont do the code share thing either.

I mostly book US Airways, used to work for America West so have alot of friends now at US Airways, but I only fly within the west coast which is mostly old America West people, so nice to see old co-workers from time to time.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 1:17 pm
Sursum corda

I fixed enough mistakes by expedia, and the like that I only book direct through the airline, and all travel on one airline, I dont do the code share thing either.

I mostly book US Airways, used to work for America West so have alot of friends now at US Airways, but I only fly within the west coast which is mostly old America West people, so nice to see old co-workers from time to time.
We tell our clients that what they get for the service charge is us to be their advocate/middleman.

and yes, we've been asked to fix problems for tickets booked with Expedia, Travelocity etc.