Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Any recommendations for a GOOD hardwood floor vacuum???

Any recommendations for a GOOD hardwood floor vacuum???

Old Oct 22nd 2009, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any recommendations for a GOOD hardwood floor vacuum???

Just showing off... look what we found under the carpet in our 1890s house

Finally got round to refinishing them a couple of weeks ago. All the window trim is original also, and was completely obscured by net curtains

Before

After

Old Oct 22nd 2009, 7:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79

Finally got round to refinishing them a couple of weeks ago. All the window trim is original also, and was completely obscured by net curtains

Before

http://i38.tinypic.com/2a9eihj.jpg

After

http://i34.tinypic.com/2hi6rma.jpg

http://i34.tinypic.com/2lmqdna.jpg
Very nice...look very well dusted too
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 7:54 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Dyson DC24. Small (about 50% of a regular Dyson), light (about the same as 2 bags of sugar) and brilliant.
Can you help me convince the Skeptical Brit that there is a difference? I've been looking at this one but he's telling me any bagless vac will be as good.

Right now I use an upright with a floor attachment for the wood floors.

For anyone still counting, I only use the Bona cleaner; we had the Bona Swedish finish. The finish is what determines what cleaners/water you should use.

Originally Posted by hobbes79

Well done, hobbes! Very nice. Did you refinish yourself? Lovely!!
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

Cat Whisperer is on a distinguished road

I'm using a good canister over both carpets and wood floors. I keep the brushes out on the floor, and you can see the dust and bits jumping under the brushes before you get there! The wood floor installer recommended 1/3 household vinegar 2/3 hot water to clean, but the smell is terrible.

I think the darker the wood tone, the more it shows dust. I deliberately chose a mid honey toned wood with lots of striation, pattern and knots in because I'm lazy

Also, I have two cats with claws. I bought them one of those outside doormats with the bristles that has rubber surround to keep it weighted down while they scratch. It's in the corner of the living room, and they love it.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 8:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cat Whisperer
I'm using a good canister over both carpets and wood floors. I keep the brushes out on the floor, and you can see the dust and bits jumping under the brushes before you get there! The wood floor installer recommended 1/3 household vinegar 2/3 hot water to clean, but the smell is terrible.

I think the darker the wood tone, the more it shows dust. I deliberately chose a mid honey toned wood with lots of striation, pattern and knots in because I'm lazy

Also, I have two cats with claws. I bought them one of those outside doormats with the bristles that has rubber surround to keep it weighted down while they scratch. It's in the corner of the living room, and they love it.
I thought you weren't supposed to use the brushes on a vac for solid floors...the bristles can damage the surface of the wood.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 8:27 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I thought you weren't supposed to use the brushes on a vac for solid floors...the bristles can damage the surface of the wood.
hmm, I never heard that one, that'll do me in!
Isn't that what the finish is on there for, to protect the wood surface?
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Been doing it for 3 years now with no bad effects. I'd like to think that a hardwood floor can handle more than bristles on a vac.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 8:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
hmm, I never heard that one, that'll do me in!
Isn't that what the finish is on there for, to protect the wood surface?
Most upright and some cylinder vacs have a switch or attachment for for use hardfloors. When you switch it to hardfloors the brushes/beater bar stop rotating...for carpets the brushes rotate. It usually tells you in the handbook not to use rotating brushes/beater bar on hardwood and some other types of solid flooring.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Consumer/story?id=3449808

http://www.wikihow.com/Care-for-Hardwood-Floors
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 8:53 pm

Most upright and some cylinder vacs have a switch or attachment for for use hardfloors. When you switch it to hardfloors the brushes/beater bar stop rotating...for carpets the brushes rotate. It usually tells you in the handbook not to use rotating brushes/beater bar on hardwood and some other types of solid flooring.

Oh yeah, I use the attachment, not the upright part.

Vacuuming is preferable to sweeping because it allows the dirt and dust to be pulled from between the boards. Use a vacuum with a bare floor attachment, not a vacuum beater bar, which can damage the wood
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Consumer/story?id=3449808

Oh yes I forgot that some canister vacuums over here have a rotating head. I gave up on those years ago because my hair is very long and would wind up into the spinning parts with great regularity. So I bought one that doesnt spin, just has a regular flat head. That is what I use on the wood.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 9:56 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yes I forgot that some canister vacuums over here have a rotating head. I gave up on those years ago because my hair is very long and would wind up into the spinning parts with great regularity. So I bought one that doesnt spin, just has a regular flat head. That is what I use on the wood.
Why do you vacumn your hair Rapunzel?
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 10:16 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Been doing it for 3 years now with no bad effects. I'd like to think that a hardwood floor can handle more than bristles on a vac.
I've always taken the view that floors should be expected to develop a patina over time. Which is handy, given my tendency to scoot around my study on a chair with castors...
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by chartreuse
I've always taken the view that floors should be expected to develop a patina over time. Which is handy, given my tendency to scoot around my study on a chair with castors...
Oh there you are. Found something for you yesterday.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 10:27 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

But would I look good in it, that's the question...
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Well done, hobbes! Very nice. Did you refinish yourself? Lovely!!
Yeah, the wife and kiddos went to Maine for a long weekend to leave me to it.

Rented an orbital sander from Home Depot and went to work on it! I've done three pine floors upstairs so I vaguely had a clue by this point. I think these ones are oak, though not entirely sure. It's a bit messy with all the dust, but it's not too difficult once you get a handle on the sander.

And it's just nice to bring the 100 year old plus floors back to life

Took me quite while though to rip out the grippers and staples the previous owners had put it in for the carpet though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.