Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Any diesel mechanics?

Any diesel mechanics?

Old Jul 23rd 2016, 12:20 am

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Any diesel mechanics?

I have a 2012 MC110C Volvo Skidsteer. Finding any decent shop manuals has been a challenge for sure. Should have gone with a BobCat.
Anyway. I blew a fuel line today. Does anyone know what this fitting it, and how it connects to the engine block. The hole in the engine is not threaded. I suspect a piece that couples the two together broke, but have not idea what it is called to Google it. I'm not even sure what the line comes from - is that a fuel pump, fuel filter, or flux capacitor?

Any pointers greatly appreciated. I have a call in to a mobile diesel mechanic, but in the boonies that may take a while.

Old Jul 23rd 2016, 4:39 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any diesel mechanics?

No idea, can I borrow it once fixed?
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

I showed this to a friend who is a heavy diesel mechanic. He said from the pic it appears to be a "banjo" fitting but also appears to be part of the line and most likely the whole line will need replacing. Hope this helps.
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

If the lines on the left go to the injectors in the cylinder head it is your injection pump.
That may be a line from the fuel pump.
I am no diesel mechanic but we have diesel tractors, generators and Land Rovers have a working knowledge.
Just looked at the specs says it has a Perkins engine so parts should be available.

Last edited by ottotheboar; Jul 23rd 2016 at 8:33 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 8:37 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DebzinUS
I showed this to a friend who is a heavy diesel mechanic. He said from the pic it appears to be a "banjo" fitting but also appears to be part of the line and most likely the whole line will need replacing. Hope this helps.
I had never heard of that type of fitting before. It would explains why there appears to be no threads on the engine, as they would be recessed and not visible. Thank you for the pointer.

Originally Posted by Boiler
No idea, can I borrow it once fixed?
I'll drop it off when it is fixed.
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
If the lines on the left go to the injectors in the cylinder head it is your injection pump.
That may be a line from the fuel pump.
I am no diesel mechanic but we have diesel tractors, generators and Land Rovers have a working knowledge.
Just looked at the specs says it has a Perkins engine so parts should be available.
I just took a quick look and it has a JCB engine. I'll see if I can find a model number and work from there. "injection pump' is another search term I can use to try and find the part. Thank you.
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 11:01 pm
Account Closed

They are not going to be that common in the US, some years back met some guys from JCB doing high altitude testing on new equipment.

Most of that sort of stuff where I am has a turbo.

Good luck, those hoses go no matter what make, seems a common issue, and transmissions.

Did use the term JCB for Backhoe, totally not understood.
Old Jul 24th 2016, 1:34 am

The mobile diesel mechanic responded to my emailed picture and also believes it is a banjo bolt (thank you DebzinUS).

He did preface the text message just now with "I believe i have the hard to find banjo bolt and or nut." which means I'm going to be paying a pretty penny for it. Although his $50 callout fee is super cheap considering the alternative of loading it up and hauling it to a dealer.

I paid for a 6 hour subscription to an online resource for parts ( Online catalog Caterpillar, Komatsu, Hitachi, John Deere, Tadano, JCB, Volvo, Doosan, Hyundai spare parts | 777parts ), the only site I could find for parts for the "JCB TC-55 engine", and even then there where over 60 different variations of that one engine model! It wasn't a site I'd normally 'trust', but it allowed me to pay $5 for 6 hours via PayPal without disclosing any financial info. I was relieved when the mechanic responded as I was going round and round in circles.

I'm regretting going with the Volvo. I like the single lift arm as it gives a good view out of the left hand side, I like the fact I can climb in the front or use the side door. I've already had to fit an hydraulic drain hose for some of my implements ( a trencher, brush cutter and a mega large brush shredder ). With only 600 or so miles on it, although it is 4 years old now, it surprised me to have a problem with it so soon. Then again, I did by an ex rental ( Volvo OEM rental, so maintained properly).
Old Jul 24th 2016, 2:30 am
Account Closed

Just a thought but as it is JCB would a UK forum work?
Old Jul 24th 2016, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

$50 call out fee is very cheap our Deere dealership has a zone system my neighbor about 10 miles away pays $400.
It is possible JCB do not make the injection pump, if there is a serial number of name on it you may be able to id from that.
The fact that the mechanic has a hard to find fitting at hand suggests it may be a commonly used pump.
Bobcat is the most common skid steer brand here in Virginia, with several others well behind like CAT and Gehl, I have never seen a Volvo.
Old Jul 24th 2016, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

Volvo and JCB have a joint venture on skid steer loaders using JCB mono boom as the base built in Savannah GA.
The engine may have a Volvo plate on it but its actually a JCB with Volvo name plate, similar to Dodge Ram 2500 diesels are actually built by Cummins.
The fuel system will be probably be a Bosch for which parts are readily available especially banjo fuel fittings
Old Jul 27th 2016, 9:22 pm

The mobile mechanic came out and got it up and running again. I paid $38 for the part, and he asked I pay the supplier directly, which I happily did as now I know where the repair guys go to get parts
It was a fairly complex take apart to get to the fitting, and it took 3 hours to disassemble, repair the part, reassemble, and test. Bill for his time including callout and having him pick up the part in the city was $230.

Thanks to all for all the advice and pointers.
Old Jul 28th 2016, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a forum that you might find useful for future reference ; used to frequent it many moons ago.

Heavy Equipment Forums

Last edited by Boomhauer; Jul 28th 2016 at 8:22 am.