Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Answers I gave to my boss at work asking me what I didn't like about America

Answers I gave to my boss at work asking me what I didn't like about America

Old May 18th 2015, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

TopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Answers I gave to my boss at work asking me what I didn't like about America

Originally Posted by lansbury
One of the delights of spending a few days at the beach. That and breakfast at Sambos, which for some reason they have changed the name from Little Black Sambos as it was called until quite recently.
My Mother still uses the 'S' word
Old May 18th 2015, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Answers I gave to my boss at work asking me what I didn't like about America

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
They'd be driving 5-10 under with or without the red light rule. While it makes it some kind of a Russian Roulette that you'll get stuck behind one, the rule itself isn't the problem here, rather that everybody else on the road apart from me, and a select few I add to and subtract from on a whim, are incompetent twatnuggets.
In retrospect I'll concede that Right on Red probably shouldn't have made the list. Twattery is indeed universal whether the rule was in place or not. The other thing that scares the poop out of me is the parking lot roundabouts. I use them expecting someone to not know or care who they're meant to give right of way to.
Old May 18th 2015, 3:10 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

One of the delights of spending a few days at the beach. That and breakfast at Sambos, which for some reason they have changed the name from Little Black Sambos as it was called until quite recently.

Originally Posted by Mrs Danvers
In retrospect I'll concede that Right on Red probably shouldn't have made the list. Twattery is indeed universal whether the rule was in place or not. The other thing that scares the poop out of me is the parking lot roundabouts. I use them expecting someone to not know or care who they're meant to give right of way to.
Roundabouts (parking lot or otherwise) are popping up all over the place here. They even have a stretch of main road that has two within half a mile of each other at semi-major intersections. I think the Lake County DOT has a Brit in there somewhere. What warms my cockles though is how quickly 99% of drivers picked up on how to use them. I have still seen one or two people come to a complete stop even when the way is clear and one person stop in the circle to let someone in ...
Old May 18th 2015, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

TopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond repute

Roundabouts (parking lot or otherwise) are popping up all over the place here. They even have a stretch of main road that has two within half a mile of each other at semi-major intersections. I think the Lake County DOT has a Brit in there somewhere. What warms my cockles though is how quickly 99% of drivers picked up on how to use them. I have still seen one or two people come to a complete stop even when the way is clear and one person stop in the circle to let someone in ...
Maybe a French Expat Navigating L'Arc de Triomphe 'roundabout' - what a bundle of fun that is. Makes driving in Texas seem simple!
Old May 18th 2015, 3:21 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

I wish the little popcorn smiley was holding a bucket of chicken.
Old May 18th 2015, 3:22 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TopSec
Maybe a French Expat Navigating L'Arc de Triomphe 'roundabout' - what a bundle of fun that is. Makes driving in Texas seem simple!
Well the one in Paris is quite a bit bigger, of course.

That being said, the adoption of roundabouts in my corner of the state pleases me greatly. Four way stops are annoying and they clog up the roads too much.
Old May 18th 2015, 3:23 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Nutek
I wish the little popcorn smiley was holding a bucket of chicken.
That would have had added impact. Am I allowed to even think that anymore?

Oh shit, I've done it now.
Old May 18th 2015, 3:25 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

That would have had added impact. Am I allowed to even think that anymore?

Oh shit, I've done it now.
Where is that pole when I need it? Oh... There it is..

* backs slowly away *
Old May 18th 2015, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

Well the one in Paris is quite a bit bigger, of course.

That being said, the adoption of roundabouts in my corner of the state pleases me greatly. Four way stops are annoying and they clog up the roads too much.
I can only think of one in Houston and I approach that with care in case there's the odd native Texan that doesn't know what to do!

Surprisingly I quite like the stop signs and feel they work well, except when they are hidden behind bushes and on dual carriageways, also hidden by bushes! I would say back in the UK they wouldn't work as I'm sure people would 'jump the queue'
Old May 18th 2015, 3:31 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Nutek
Where is that pole when I need it? Oh... There it is..

* backs slowly away *
It'll fade away into the background as I wax lyrical on my preferred method of traffic calming ...

Originally Posted by TopSec
I can only think of one in Houston and I approach that with care in case there's the odd native Texan that doesn't know what to do!

Surprisingly I quite like the stop signs and feel they work well, except when they are hidden behind bushes and on dual carriageways, also hidden by bushes! I would say back in the UK they wouldn't work as I'm sure people would 'jump the queue'
Stops work well on less busy roads (or by a railroad crossing where traffic lights would be impractical) but on those roads where they have replaced the four way with a roundabout I have noticed a marked improvement.

They'd never get a chance to work in the UK. Crossroads in the country usually have two 'Give Way' signs and nothing on the assigned 'main' road, then in town it's roundabouts or traffic lights. I'm hard pushed to remember where they have an actual 'Stop' sign back home, rather than 'Give Way' or a mini roundabout
Old May 18th 2015, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

I like them both. Says he having just returned from breakfast at the Pig & Pancake.
My kids will not shut up about the Pig and Pancake. The mere mention on Cannon Beach will have them waxing lyrical about those endless mounds of sanddollar pancakes.
Old May 18th 2015, 3:42 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Anian
... endless mounds ... pancakes ...
Sounds like a winning formula there.
Old May 18th 2015, 4:00 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manjo
Writing the dates ass-backwards.
Here's an image of the first issue of The Times. Notice the date.

Old May 18th 2015, 4:07 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

What's wrong with right on red? That is one of the more sensible traffic rules they have out here.
I used to favor this, but I'm getting to the point that I now oppose it, at least in the US. In a culture that looks for opportunities to snub the law, it creates a slippery slope that encourages red light running. I could see this working in other places that are more law-abiding, but this isn't the place.

I'm pro-roundabout, too. On the other hand, I do appreciate our inherently superior bacon that makes America great.
Old May 18th 2015, 4:17 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
I used to favor this, but I'm getting to the point that I now oppose it, at least in the US. In a culture that looks for opportunities to snub the law, it creates a slippery slope that encourages red light running. I could see this working in other places that are more law-abiding, but this isn't the place.
I got done at a red light camera for 'not stopping long enough' at a red on a right turn. Looking at the video in my case, they were probably right (I was in a rush though and $100.00 is $100.00 so they can still kiss my arse). Now, at that intersection I just sit there, no matter how many people are behind me.

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
I'm pro-roundabout, too. On the other hand, I do appreciate our inherently superior bacon that makes America great.
All reasonably people should be pro-roundabout. Mythbusters already demonstrated they are more effective than a 4-way stop, what more do we need?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.