Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Answers I gave to my boss at work asking me what I didn't like about America

Answers I gave to my boss at work asking me what I didn't like about America

Old May 18th 2015, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

Manjo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Answers I gave to my boss at work asking me what I didn't like about America

After being here 3 months.

1. Snobbery and Classism towards public transport and people who take it. He tried to defend it by mentioning NYC and portland but then he had to acquiesce on that count.

2. Writing the dates ass-backwards.

3. I was struggling to think at this point so I had to say honestly "I guess I don't like how the police can shoot black people and get away with it."

They didn't ask me again after that, but I later went on a rant about american bacon being crap anyway. It's like two toothpicks of meat and a big ribbon of fat.
Old May 18th 2015, 5:42 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Answers I gave to my boss at work asking me what I didn't like about America

Originally Posted by Manjo
After being here 3 months.

1. Snobbery and Classism towards public transport and people who take it. He tried to defend it by mentioning NYC and portland but then he had to acquiesce on that count.

2. Writing the dates ass-backwards.

3. I was struggling to think at this point so I had to say honestly "I guess I don't like how the police can shoot black people and get away with it."

They didn't ask me again after that, but I later went on a rant about american bacon being crap anyway. It's like two toothpicks of meat and a big ribbon of fat.
Sounds like in a couple more weeks you will be able to fill pages.

Keep making friends
Old May 18th 2015, 5:45 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Answers I gave to my boss at work asking me what I didn't like about America

These are all minor quibbles compared to the sheer awesomeness that is living in america.
Old May 18th 2015, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

"I guess I don't like how the police can shoot black people and get away with it."
These are all minor quibbles compared to the sheer awesomeness that is living in america.
... well that's alright then ...
Old May 18th 2015, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by md95065
... well that's alright then ...
Sorry.
Old May 18th 2015, 6:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Sounds like in a couple more weeks you will be able to fill pages.

Keep making friends
Would be kind of nice to see everyone being concerned about police shootings.

Actually I think having to pretend in order to 'make friends' is the biggest strain of being an expat.
Old May 18th 2015, 6:56 am

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Would be kind of nice to see everyone being concerned about police shootings.

Actually I think having to pretend in order to 'make friends' is the biggest strain of being an expat.
If I were an expat, say in the UK and my employer asked me what I didn't like about the UK my response would be polite and diplomatic.
Something like.."Well things are certainly different here, plenty for me to be accustomed to, different country and all".
I certainly wouldn't bring up Pakistani's grooming young girls for prostitution. etc... You know painting the whole country by the actions of a few.
Old May 18th 2015, 6:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

If I were an expat, say in the UK and my employer asked me what I didn't like about the UK my response would be polite and diplomatic.
Something like.."Well things are certainly different here, plenty for me to be accustomed to, different country and all".
I certainly wouldn't bring up Pakistani's grooming young girls for prostitution. etc... You know painting the whole country by the actions of a few.
I'm talking about your response on here.
Old May 18th 2015, 7:09 am

I'm talking about your response on here.
I'm obviously not condoning or even referring to shootings by police or otherwise, merely a little discretion. But yes it is hard to be in foreign environments.
Old May 18th 2015, 7:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm obviously not condoning or even referring to shootings by police or otherwise, merely a little discretion. But yes it is hard to be in foreign environments.
It can be hard to be a British Pakistani too. Just had a case at my husband's workplace where an interviewer told the panel not to hire a particular candidate on the basis of that supposed generalisation. But yeah, won't drag it out. Cheers.
Old May 18th 2015, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

I later went on a rant about american bacon being crap
"......American bacon ...."

".......living in America"

You've committed a capitol offence!
Twice.
That could get you deported
Sorry.
Ditto
Old May 18th 2015, 7:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MMcD
capitol
And that's a record
Old May 18th 2015, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

And that's a record
Told you you should spin
Old May 18th 2015, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MMcD
Told you you should spin
Old May 18th 2015, 7:50 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

And that's a record
or a building

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.