Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Another what to do thread or just venting?

Another what to do thread or just venting?

Old Jul 12th 2007, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another what to do thread or just venting?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You can't apply to become an USC until you've held a GC for 5 yrs.
WOW! That's a long time! UGH!
Old Jul 12th 2007, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another what to do thread or just venting?

Originally Posted by simongb
Here is my two cents. Right now you are not totally sure as to what you will do back in the UK. You are also working on getting your green card. I would advise you to create a plan. By this I mean, start to look at what you could do back in the UK and have a reasonable income. If this means retraining, then do it. At the same time, save up some money for your move and be applying for your GC and then citizenship. This will take a few years, but in that time you will have more direction. Right now I think you are feeling trapped but you don't have a plan to escape. Anyway, that's just my two cents. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
I sent a speculative email to a recruiter I used to use in the UK. He turned around and said that the industry has definitely got smaller in the UK with a lot of design centres moving to India.

I'll try and set up a call with them tomorrow and see where we go from there. I've applied for a visitors visa with the consulate in LA, but have been told that their website is wrong is it's more like 10-15 days processing, rather than the 5 stated. If I knew that I would have gone down in person as they promise a same day service if you make an appointment.

I'll talk to my folks at the weekend and see what their thoughts are.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone.