Ancestry DNA

Old May 9th 2018, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Ancestry DNA

Originally Posted by BEVS
There are an assortment of UK Romany projects on the go. One with Leicester Uni I think, if it is still running. I thought it was considered that Romany people originated from NW Asia. Not Eygpt as was previously thought. There is a Romany and Traveller FHS.

The tree I am currently working on may well have Romany within it on the paternal 2xgrt grandparent side. The surname is a good match as well as the occupation etc.
The Romani language family is most closely related to NW Indian language families.
Old May 10th 2018, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

I persuaded my parents to do the DNA testing at 23andMe, and I did it too. Unfortunately, dad's failed as he couldn't muster up enough spit, but as I have Mum's results I'm extrapolating that anything I didn't get from her must have come from Dad. We're all boringly majority British & Irish, but the minority results are confirming family stories and my paper genealogy research so far. One is a German or Scandanavian ancestor on my mum's side from late 18th Century, and the supposedly German ancestor on my Dad's side had ancestry from further East.

I'm now doing Ancestry testing to see if it can help break down my brick walls wrt my German and Irish ancestors. Judging by my 23andMe results though, I'll just get a lot of distant American cousins. It seems that I had a sibling of one ancestor settle Virginia (later West Virginia) in the 19th century - they did well and had a large family - and others moved over in the early 20th century. Wish I knew that when I lived over there!
Old May 15th 2018, 10:42 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
So my results just came in and my African ancestry is confirmed. 1% Nigerian
My maternal grandfather's results just arrived - two generations closer to Africa.

4% Cameroon/Congo
1% Nigeria
1% Benin/Togo
<1% North Africa

It's odd that the Nigerian DNA shows up in my test results but not any of the others. Just goes to show that it's what DNA is expressed in an individual rather than the potential DNA we carry around with us.
Old May 16th 2018, 1:50 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

My maternal grandfather's results just arrived - two generations closer to Africa.

4% Cameroon/Congo
1% Nigeria
1% Benin/Togo
<1% North Africa

It's odd that the Nigerian DNA shows up in my test results but not any of the others. Just goes to show that it's what DNA is expressed in an individual rather than the potential DNA we carry around with us.

Yours & his is interesting.
Old May 16th 2018, 2:17 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Yours & his is interesting.
It's the 12% Iberian peninsula that I have which is completely baffling - my grandfather only has 3% so it's not from his line and my maternal grandmother, afaik, is Welsh going back to the beginning of time. My father and uncle both have very rare B negative blood so my father's theory that we have Basque in us somewhere as they have a high incidence of negative blood type. No idea how accurate that idea is but we're going to test him now to find out.
Old May 16th 2018, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

Floridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond repute

I sent as a 'surprise' Mothers Day gift 2 ancestry.com kits, one for my step-mother and the other as an early Fathers day gift for my elderly Father. They have said they will give it a go but not overly excited judging by his reaction!
As i was born and raised in England (English Mother) my DNA results give me ..51% British and in particular Southern England which is correct . Then i guess partly from my American born Father 24% Western Europe and 8% Celtic plus 17% low confidence regions. Only met my Father 20 years ago after he returned to the States in the 1950s and Mother stayed behind to have me then never came over! During that first visit they had put together his Parents, Gt Grandparents backgrounds which told me they were on one side, Irish/Scottish and the other German/French which explains my result. So thats why i'm selfishly hoping he goes ahead with the 'spit' test!
Old May 16th 2018, 10:38 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

I cringe inside every time this thread grows.

https://gizmodo.com/what-dna-testing...ies-1819158337
Old May 16th 2018, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
I cringe inside every time this thread grows.

https://gizmodo.com/what-dna-testing...ies-1819158337
Still not exactly sure what the big, bad things I've supposedly exposed myself to actually are.
Old May 17th 2018, 12:10 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Still not exactly sure what the big, bad things I've supposedly exposed myself to actually are.
You might find out you have some Antipodean heritage. You can't get much bigger and badder than that.

But seriously.....I wonder if 'Australian' will ever be a DNA marker like 'Western European' (for instance) is. Doubt it, unless we're indigenous Aussie we're all mongrels. Is indigenous Australian a DNA marker/category?

Last edited by spouse of scouse; May 17th 2018 at 12:18 am.
Old May 17th 2018, 12:15 am
`

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
You might find out you have some Antipodean heritage. You can't get much bigger and badder than that.
Currently working on a tree for someone & have found a shepherd who got transported for stealing.......sheep.
He got ten years. His brother got off because he turned informant on his brother.
He actually never returned to his UK family and seems to have died in Oz.
Tough on those children as their Mum died in childbirth so once he was transported they were left with no parents.
Old May 17th 2018, 12:17 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Currently working on a tree for someone & have found a shepherd who got transported for stealing.......sheep.
He got ten years. His brother got off because he turned informant on his brother.
He actually never returned to his UK family and seems to have died in Oz.
Tough on those children as their Mum died in childbirth so once he was transported they were left with no parents.
Some pretty terrible things have been done in the name of 'justice'
It was very difficult for a former convict to return to the UK, the cost of the voyage made it prohibitive.
Old May 17th 2018, 12:20 am

But seriously.....I wonder if 'Australian' will ever be a DNA marker like 'Western European' (for instance) is. Doubt it, unless we're indigenous Aussie we're all mongrels. Is indigenous Australian is a category?
It will be a separate category, but it's not listed on AncestryDNA, presumably because so few indigenous Australians will have done the test. It's still very US centric.
Old May 17th 2018, 12:24 am
Concierge

It will be a separate category, but it's not listed on AncestryDNA, presumably because so few indigenous Australians will have done the test. It's still very US centric.
Thanks. I might try to find a company that includes it. My family's pretty sure that my maternal grandfather was of Aboriginal descent, but times being what they were he always denied it.

Edit: not possible at this time

The single company that offers Australian Aboriginal testing is the US based DNA Tribes.

Rather than the conventional method of maternal (mitochondrial DNA) and paternal (Y chromosome) testing used on DNA Nation, they use sections of DNA called single tandem repeats (STRs) that vary in the number of copies each person has.

DNA Tribes compare customers’ 23 pairs of chromosomes with databases from around the world, including Australia. The problem is that these are forensic databases appropriate for forensic casework and paternity testing, but not genetic genealogy.

https://theconversation.com/dna-nati...tralians-59877

Last edited by spouse of scouse; May 17th 2018 at 12:35 am.
Old May 17th 2018, 12:33 am
`

Thanks. I might try to find a company that includes it. My family's pretty sure that my maternal grandfather was of Aboriginal descent, but times being what they were he always denied it.
It would be a very specific set of dna markers. You may or may not carry a few or none.

Rather like the Irish dna markers. They are actually quite specific also.

Ooo. Yours would also be very interesting.

It's the 12% Iberian peninsula that I have which is completely baffling - my grandfather only has 3% so it's not from his line and my maternal grandmother, afaik, is Welsh going back to the beginning of time. My father and uncle both have very rare B negative blood so my father's theory that we have Basque in us somewhere as they have a high incidence of negative blood type. No idea how accurate that idea is but we're going to test him now to find out.
I believe that Irish dna links to the Iberian peninsula.

Last edited by BEVS; May 18th 2018 at 12:42 am. Reason: quotes
Old May 23rd 2018, 10:31 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ancestry DNA

My problem with these tests is the Ancestry ad on the TV where the guy says, "oh I thought I was German but it turns out I was Scottish". Well how on Earth can you tell the difference between German and Scottish DNA? They're both northern European and heavily interbred.

I think it's all a matter of opinion based on what some people have looked at in a lab and without a time machine they can't prove it one way or the other. So you might get a result and say "ooh, I wasn't expecting that" but it's just based on some erroneous opinion anyway.

Unlike most people I have very good idea of my lineage and it is super duper unexciting. Basically, my ancestors were mostly miners and further back they all worked on farms, but that's true for nearly everyone. And if you go back far enough you're basically related to everyone else anyway so who cares. It's only in the last couple of centuries that people did anything interesting, with very rare exceptions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.