Wikiposts

The American Dream

Old May 6th 2013, 4:43 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The American Dream

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Yup, sounds just like me, with the ladder, except I can't get a truck in there to pull on a rope (hence the modified winch), and I don't have a Bobcat .... at least not yet!
Not sure about the Bobcat, everybody here says to get a Backhoe (JCB), more you can do with them and much easier to maintain. There is a guy who comes up in the summer who bought one to build his house, I think he would take 4k for it but you could spend a lot on new hoses.
Old May 6th 2013, 5:23 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Not sure about the Bobcat, everybody here says to get a Backhoe (JCB), more you can do with them and much easier to maintain. There is a guy who comes up in the summer who bought one to build his house, I think he would take 4k for it but you could spend a lot on new hoses.
It depends what you need, and your budget, because I'm sure a backhoe would be cheaper, but a Bobcat is smaller, more manoeuvrable, and with tracks, does less damage to the ground surface and to tree roots.

That said, I am intending to rent a backhoe next winter to deal with issues caused by the idiots who cleared and graded my lot by burying large piles of logs and branches. Parts of my yard have collapsed 3-4ft and appear to have been excavated by giant groundhogs.
Old May 6th 2013, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Gingerert
We bought ourselves a ride-on lawn mower today, after our old second-hand push mower crapped out on us this morning.

Living the American dream, people. Living the dream...
That's exactly the way my husband see's it....let's say he isn't living it yet! We don't even own a normal mower He is still recovering from having to sell most of his 'boys toys' before moving over here.
Old May 6th 2013, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

Small John Deere mowers are nothing special if you have 5 acres to mow, I took me an hour to mow about half an acre yesterday with a 42" ride on, similar to a small JD. You should be looking for a small pro-grade mower, a zero-turn one, unless you're planning on spending 5-6 hours or more mowing 5 acres. There are a number of manufacturers of such machines, and one I have my eye on is a Dixie Chopper. Another similar manufacturer is Bad Boy Mowers.
A very good point. I have 2 acres to mow, and I have a 42" riding mower, which I bought 2 years ago. Each time I mow, I ask myself why I didn't buy a zero turn commercial!
Old May 6th 2013, 9:24 am
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wibblypig
That's exactly the way my husband see's it....let's say he isn't living it yet! We don't even own a normal mower He is still recovering from having to sell most of his 'boys toys' before moving over here.
The tools my husband owns and never uses... I could write a book on them. He always seems to buy them to complete a one-time project, and then they just gather dust somewhere for years.

But a shiny new mower you can RIDE?! Now that's worth it!
Old May 6th 2013, 9:30 am
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
How about fridges? How many are required before you have achieved the Dream.....my Brother in Law (family of 4) has more fridges than people in the house...French door one in the Kitchen, side by side in the Laundry room, chest freezer in the Garage, wine fridge in the kitchen, under the counter fridge in the outdoor kitchen...and when he has a Barbie we still have to drink longnecks out of a cooler full of ice? Cheap git needs to get himself a Kegerator
Fridges! Excellent measure of The Dream! I'd say four is quite sufficient for Living The Dream status.

We bought a chest freezer over the winter to go in the basement and store extra meat and frozen pizzas and stuff. I felt very... hmm... privileged. However, after the SECOND model broke after two weeks and we lost all of our food to a warm mouldy soupy mess, we decided we didn't need a second freezer that badly and we'd get by with just our enormous American fridge/freezer in the kitchen.

I have to say, one of my Dream measurements is an ice dispenser on the freezer door. That entertains my UK family for hours every time they visit.
Old May 6th 2013, 12:35 pm
Account Closed

Fridges! Excellent measure of The Dream! I'd say four is quite sufficient for Living The Dream status.

We bought a chest freezer over the winter to go in the basement and store extra meat and frozen pizzas and stuff. I felt very... hmm... privileged. However, after the SECOND model broke after two weeks and we lost all of our food to a warm mouldy soupy mess, we decided we didn't need a second freezer that badly and we'd get by with just our enormous American fridge/freezer in the kitchen.

I have to say, one of my Dream measurements is an ice dispenser on the freezer door. That entertains my UK family for hours every time they visit.
How big is your kegerator?
Old May 6th 2013, 12:48 pm
Account Closed

It depends what you need, and your budget, because I'm sure a backhoe would be cheaper, but a Bobcat is smaller, more manoeuvrable, and with tracks, does less damage to the ground surface and to tree roots.

That said, I am intending to rent a backhoe next winter to deal with issues caused by the idiots who cleared and graded my lot by burying large piles of logs and branches. Parts of my yard have collapsed 3-4ft and appear to have been excavated by giant groundhogs.
I have rented a backhoe twice, last time I needed to do some digging I rented one of those mini excavators from Home Depot. I found that stones kept getting in the tracks and I would have to lift one and spin it to get it clear. Also very tippy compared to a Backhoe.

We do not get very muddy, well apart from now it seems, snowing heavily again, there is certainly a cute factor with lots of extra attachments. The ones that are available seem very expensive used for what they are.
Old May 6th 2013, 1:26 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

...... The ones [Bobcats] that are available seem very expensive used for what they are.
Agreed. I haven't looked for several years, but around $8k was entry level for something about fit for the scrap yard, and the ones at and over $10k still looked rough as he11 and veritable money pits. I decided that I needed a $20k budget before I looked seriously at buying one, a fairly well used one, at that. .... And as I don't have $20k lying around, and there is very little prospect of my doing so any time soon, I haven't even looked in a while.
Old May 6th 2013, 1:43 pm
Account Closed

Agreed.
Old May 7th 2013, 2:01 am
Ginger Monkey

How big is your kegerator?
That's a personal question!
Old May 7th 2013, 2:16 am
Account Closed

Hopefully much bigger than a 6 pack?
Old May 7th 2013, 3:00 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

We were "forced" to buy a cheap chest freezer just after we got here because the local Randalls were doing this Thanksgiving promotion where every time you spent over $50 (maybe $100) you got a free Turkey. We took the first couple, thinking one for TG, one for Christmas. We took one for the inlaws. Then we tried saying no - that did not compute - they wouldn't take it! And we had to. So we tried leaving it at the checkout - they ran out to the car park with it. We tried giving them away - no-one would take them. Even the local food banks said no. We were stuck. So we used some coupons and bought a small chest freezer from Conns for about $100 and went into the Turkey Storage business. I think we got up to about 6 in there!

A year or so later, I needed the garage space to expand my work area, so my freeloading sister in law offered to "help us out" by taking the freezer. Scroll on about 6 years, and I got a call - could I come collect my frozen turkeys as they needed the freezer space for a wild pig his buddy had shot! I hate to think what they would have been like if defrosted....we never found out - straight in the trash.

We never replaced the chest freezer, and we've never missed it. We've got a huge French door jobbie with the freezer at the bottom that is more than adequate. It also has 2 (count them TWO) built in ice cube makers, one of them with an emergency fast freeze option - WTF? Why we need 2 is anybodies guess....and why you would need to make ice in an emergency is totally unfathomable...

My one kowtow to The Dream is a meat and beer fridge in the outdoor kitchen. So as a family of 5, we only have 2 refrigerators. I realize that won't qualify us for Living the Dream status, but I'm wondering if I can actually claim my kids as officially deprived?
Old May 7th 2013, 3:02 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Why is BE trying to subvert my Britishness?????

Every time I type "realize" with an S it "corrects" it to a Z. See, it did it again....

I know someone will come along and tell us that in British you can spell it either way, but come on.....we all know the proper way is with an S
Old May 7th 2013, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
...... as a family of 5, we only have 2 refrigerators. I realize that won't qualify us for Living the Dream status, but I'm wondering if I can actually claim my kids as officially deprived?
I'd never thought about counting fridges, but we currently use three, including a small British one used as a wine cellar and running off a transformer, an upright freezer, and a french door style fridge freezer. I also have a broken side-by-side in the garage awaiting transport to the scrap dealer, and an under-over that will go into a rental house I am renovating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.