Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Airline tickets and taxes

Airline tickets and taxes

Old Mar 8th 2019, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Airline tickets and taxes

I am looking around for prices on tickets to take a trip back. Last time I flew back I got the best deal with KLM so I started on their website. I put in the info for my family, including my kids ages who are 13 and 15 and a message popped up about taxes charged on children's flights.

I have been comparing prices on numerous websites looking for the best deal, when I put in the info for each of us including the kids ages I am quoted the same taxes on each person on US websites, (expedia/Travelocity/Orbitz etc) if I run the exact same flights on the British Airways website the taxes for the adults are exactly the same as the US websites but the kids are $100 per child less.

Now I am assuming that regardless of how or who you book with each country will claim their share of the taxes so how come there is a difference?

Last edited by Ash UK/US; Mar 8th 2019 at 7:41 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2019, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

wtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Airline tickets and taxes

Can't say for sure but it used to be that airlines charged carefully worded "taxes and fees" making you assume it's the government taking the money but when you looked at the breakdown there were fuel surcharges, etc.
Old Mar 8th 2019, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

OldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond repute

On my next trip home I was quoted one price by Google, but when I actually placed the flight with BA they came back with a lower price due to lower taxes on my child.
Old Mar 9th 2019, 1:08 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

If children are under 16 on the day of travel, and in economy less than 40” seat pitch, then they are exempt from UK Air Passenger Duty. To the USA in economy after April 1st normal APD would be £78.
Old Jun 17th 2019, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

Maya1000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,
I want to book a flight from the US to Europe, and the price with a hotel is cheaper than the flight alone. Does anyone know if I can book with the hotel and not stay at the hotel and only take the flights?
Thank you.
Old Jun 17th 2019, 10:08 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maya1000
Hello,
I want to book a flight from the US to Europe, and the price with a hotel is cheaper than the flight alone. Does anyone know if I can book with the hotel and not stay at the hotel and only take the flights?
Thank you.
The question came up recently and I was assured that you can book the cheapest flophouse, and only for one night, then bag the cheap flight deal and forget entirely about ever showing up at the hotel.

Here's the thread. The relevant bit starts at post #18.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 17th 2019 at 10:40 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2019, 1:22 am
Just Joined

Maya1000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The question came up recently and I was assured that you can book the cheapest flophouse, and only for one night, then bag the cheap flight deal and forget entirely about ever showing up at the hotel.
Thank you.