Air travel woes

Old Apr 18th 2013, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Air travel woes

hello y'all from UK!! Uk is just the same as when I was here 10 months ago and I have "acclimated" back into the London groove - brent cross today and Oxford st tom and oh my but M&S have some wonderful new stuff - fish and chip crisps!!! oh my!!!!

On another note I wonder if anyone has any advice (setting myself up here me thinks)

Once before I got very sick on a plane for 5 hours going to US - yesterday I got very sick coming to the UK - im very careful about what I eat - I did have a pre packaged orange juice with the brekky (I only had one of those oat bars) and I really think it was the juice which set me off - wretched!! Plus we were circling for about 20 mins waiting for a slot - oh my not fun!!!
Spent the tube journey (NOT recommended) to Edgware ill and first night in hotel ill - am fine today tho
I need to eat on a 10 hour flight - but what to take? also any other tips most gratefully received- im sort of dreading the return trip!!!
Old Apr 18th 2013, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of
Default Re: Air travel woes

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
hello y'all from UK!! Uk is just the same as when I was here 10 months ago and I have "acclimated" back into the London groove - brent cross today and Oxford st tom and oh my but M&S have some wonderful new stuff - fish and chip crisps!!! oh my!!!!

On another note I wonder if anyone has any advice (setting myself up here me thinks)

Once before I got very sick on a plane for 5 hours going to US - yesterday I got very sick coming to the UK - im very careful about what I eat - I did have a pre packaged orange juice with the brekky (I only had one of those oat bars) and I really think it was the juice which set me off - wretched!! Plus we were circling for about 20 mins waiting for a slot - oh my not fun!!!
Spent the tube journey (NOT recommended) to Edgware ill and first night in hotel ill - am fine today tho
I need to eat on a 10 hour flight - but what to take? also any other tips most gratefully received- im sort of dreading the return trip!!!
Drink plenty of water - ignore everything else - stops you dehydrating. That's all you need to do. If you're worried about the food take something with you that you know you can tolerate; sandwiches or fresh fruit, perhaps (will they let that through?)

I didn't know there were any hotels in Edgware! Did you mean the Edwgarebury? (just curious)
Old Apr 18th 2013, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Unless there are medical reasons against it, I would be tempted to say not to eat anything. Just non-alcoholic drink, obviously not orange juice!

Travelling doesn't sit well with my digestive system either, and I've found that very sugary things set me off. I'm usually fine if I forgo the airline meal and just drink lots of bottled water.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 5:45 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAdreaming

Did you take any airsickness stuff? Dramamine or the equivalent? It's really worth it. Sometimes it doesn't have to be bumpy to make you feel ill - in my case anyway. Pressure changes can set off that inner ear thing that produces nausea and headache.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 5:59 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I usually prepare for my flight back by consuming a gallon of real ale and a vindaloo the night before.

This may not work for everybody.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

I was talking about this to my mum last week. She has to eat to avoid travel sickness which is contrary to what others have posted. So it really depends on the person I guess.

The discussion came up because we'd just got off a tiny 19 seat plane to the Grand Canyon which was admittedly rather blowy (and had been postponed from the day before due to weather) and both my wife and son threw up from airsickness. Neither were particularly susceptible to airsickness before, but my mum had eaten before the flight and was okay because of doing so.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
I usually prepare for my flight back by consuming a gallon of real ale and a vindaloo the night before.

cheered me up this does!!!!
Old Apr 18th 2013, 6:02 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
I was talking about this to my mum last week. She has to eat to avoid travel sickness which is contrary to what others have posted.
See. Exactly what I said.

Mostly.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by markwm
Drink plenty of water - ignore everything else - stops you dehydrating. That's all you need to do. If you're worried about the food take something with you that you know you can tolerate; sandwiches or fresh fruit, perhaps (will they let that through?)

I didn't know there were any hotels in Edgware! Did you mean the Edwgarebury? (just curious)
Oh I forgot about the Edgwarbury!! I think It would be expensive tho
im at the premier inn on Edgware road - just a few mins from the station really - its fine only here tonight now
theres the two as well on the A41 - Hilton and cant remember the other one - theres also the Madonna on whitechurch lane
you an Edgware lad? (im assuming you are a he!)
Old Apr 18th 2013, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Did you take any airsickness stuff? Dramamine or the equivalent? It's really worth it. Sometimes it doesn't have to be bumpy to make you feel ill - in my case anyway. Pressure changes can set off that inner ear thing that produces nausea and headache.
no but going to get some herbal stuff for the flight back and not eat
Old Apr 18th 2013, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by yellowroom
Unless there are medical reasons against it, I would be tempted to say not to eat anything. Just non-alcoholic drink, obviously not orange juice!

Travelling doesn't sit well with my digestive system either, and I've found that very sugary things set me off. I'm usually fine if I forgo the airline meal and just drink lots of bottled water.
I don't drink alcohol at all on a plane and now will only drink water ---I get bored which Is why I eat!! but bored is much MUCH better than sick - I might take a plain sarny or a bit of bread and some plain biccies
Old Apr 18th 2013, 6:16 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear you are feeling better now CAdreaming.. It is miserable to be feeling ill when away from home.

I flew over Tuesday night, Ottawa, Ontario to LHR. Flight was 6:40pm to 6:00am. At this point in my life I just get as comfortable as possible, read and watch one movie. No food, no drink (except a moderate ration of water.). The Air Canada crew were really decent and considerate as always, I don't particularly like flying but AC makes it bearable! I felt somewhat sick when we got to London, but I'd recovered enough to have a good cup of English style Americano and a full English breakfast at 11am and I slept twelve hours last night to make up for no sleep the night before. Now I'm pigging out on M&S and other proper food and drink.. I'll be here in the UK for four weeks so hopefully will be feeling acclimatized by the time I fly back.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 6:21 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

I'm prepping myself right now for tomorrows flight back to the US.
Working on my 2nd kebab ( with extra chilli sauce).
Old Apr 18th 2013, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob

The people in the seats around you will appreciate it!

Originally Posted by Nutek
I'm prepping myself right now for tomorrows flight back to the US.
Working on my 2nd kebab ( with extra chilli sauce).
OMG! There's a kebab van in Milton Keynes that's absoluely amazing - and the guy recognizes me every time I go back (which is not as often as I'd hope!).

Now I'm jonesing a kebab. Bastage.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

toopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond repute

From someone that has had travel sickness all her life (oh yea, right Mum, it will PASS when I get older!!! WTF?!?!?), erm, sorry - anyhoo - the ONLY thing that helped me is Dramamine. There is non-drowsy and drowsy. I will not go anywhere without it. Tried Bonning and even prescription stuff - nothing else works for me.

Do not read or look down - watching telly is ok. You have to eat - throwing up on an empty stomach - you do NOT want to know. Request a LOW FAT meal on board (you can do that beforehand) - that way it's not filled with sodium and all the fatty yuks.

No juices or sodas - unless it's fizzy water but sip slowly. Buy a couple of bottles of water before you board. Some crackers too (plain). I usually also have some Kind Bars and almonds (any nuts will do - not roasted). If you bring a sarnie - no mayo or anything that can go bad. Plain, plain, plain.

Smells usually get me too (thanks Vindaloo eaters & non-wearing deodorants!) so keep a wee hankie with whatever your fav smell is.

Sleeping helps with the boredom - which is why I do the drowsy Dramamine.

Last edited by toopie28; Apr 18th 2013 at 6:52 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.