Reload this Page >

Advice and advise -- US/UK spelling

Advice and advise -- US/UK spelling

Old Apr 10th 2010, 3:36 am

expatasia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice and advise -- US/UK spelling

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
Think you typo'd "polocía"

There's plenty of words like that in Spanish that look feminine but are actually masculine, like water and map. Both are el agua and el mapa, respectively. And hand looks masculine but it's feminine, la mano, same for photo, la foto
El agua because la agua would be murder to pronounce, mano comes from manus, latin for hand which is feminine and la foto obviously comes from fotografia. I find the whole gender malarkey fascinating but I may be in a minority on this thread....
Old Apr 10th 2010, 3:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by expatasia
El agua because la agua would be murder to pronounce, mano comes from manus, latin for hand which is feminine and la foto obviously comes from fotografia. I find the whole gender malarkey fascinating but I may be in a minority on this thread....
German has masc, fem and neuter words. Diminutives are neuter, so das Maedchen (girl) is neuter.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 3:44 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
This thread has reminded me of a great aspect of grammar taught to me by a professional grammarian friend:

We all know about prefixes - unhappy, redirect, prefix

And we know about suffixes - biggest, smaller, shouldn't

But did you know about infixes?

These are additions to the middle of a word, and the prime examples in the English language are...

...abso-bloody-lutely

...un-f***ing-believeable (bonus suffix there)

...shiznit (for all the hip-hop fans out there)

Isn't language wonderful?
Infixes! Love it. I have to admit to being guilty of using the second one from time to time. Only in speech though - which I was always taught was a little more lenient rule-wise than the written word . . .

Great stuff though!
Old Apr 10th 2010, 4:06 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
are these hermaphrodite words???
Old Apr 10th 2010, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Infixes! Love it. I have to admit to being guilty of using the second one from time to time. Only in speech though - which I was always taught was a little more lenient rule-wise than the written word . . .

Great stuff though!

Yeah, loving getting my infixes too.

Can I ask you lot in the US about the 'c' word? I was flabbergasted when my Irish neighbour when telling a joke used it in front of his dad (who was over for a visit). It seems almost 'harmless' there from what I can gather. A few years back on a drunken night out in Tokyo with some fellow westerners I used it casually as you do (not calling any specific person one, mind) but an American girl who was in our group struck me on the arm, not altogether playfully either.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 4:34 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Can I ask you lot in the US about the 'c' word? I was flabbergasted when my Irish neighbour when telling a joke used it in front of his dad (who was over for a visit). It seems almost 'harmless' there from what I can gather. A few years back on a drunken night out in Tokyo with some fellow westerners I used it casually as you do (not calling any specific person one, mind) but an American girl who was in our group struck me on the arm, not altogether playfully either.
****** (is that what ur referring to?) is just vulgar for female genetalia, not an insult like in the UK
Old Apr 10th 2010, 4:37 am

****** (is that what ur referring to?) is just vulgar for female genetalia, not an insult like in the UK
Yes, thanks for that - makes sense now. Want to hear the joke? maybe not.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 4:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Could be 'conservative'.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 4:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes, thanks for that - makes sense now. Want to hear the joke? maybe not.
Yeah sure :P
Old Apr 10th 2010, 4:41 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Much different usage in the UK compared to the US, from what I've noticed. I don't use it here, as it tends to be much more offensive, whereas back home it is quite freely used as an insult - mostly to men.

Or, my favourite expression when I was in school in Northern Ireland - "I'll beat yer ****** in." Invariably used against another bloke - so I'd have been impressed to actually see anyone carry that threat out

Edit: Oh I see I was a little late with my reply - sorry

Not sure about the casual usage though. I let it slip once in a while but while I'd quite regularly tell my dad to f**k away off, I usually preferred knob-end as my chosen term of endearment
Old Apr 10th 2010, 4:59 am

Yeah sure :P
His joke not mine - though as an Evertonian myself....

Before the kick-off of Man U's match at Everton Wayne Rooney goes to see the doctor at the ground complaining that "Doc, every time I see myself naked in the dressing room mirror I get a humungous hard-on"

"That's because you're a ******" is the reply.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 5:02 am
I have a comma problem

Before the kick-off of Man U's match at Everton Wayne Rooney goes to see the doctor at the ground complaining that "Doc, every time I see myself naked in the dressing room mirror I get a humungous hard-on"

Good one!
Old Apr 10th 2010, 5:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Hahah yeah I liked that British jokes
Old Apr 10th 2010, 5:42 am

Is it true or a myth that in the US they tend to avoid using the present perfect tense whenever possible?

As in 'did you call him already?' rather than 'have you rung him yet?' or 'I lost my key' rather than 'I've lost my key'.

As for Spanish, my Peruvian friend never uses the present perfect tense where the preterite could be employed, eg 'que hiciste hoy?' rather than 'que has hecho hoy?' (what did you get up to today?) which is more likely to be used in Spain.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 5:42 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
But did you know about infixes?

These are additions to the middle of a word, and the prime examples in the English language are...

...abso-bloody-lutely

...un-f***ing-believeable (bonus suffix there)

...shiznit (for all the hip-hop fans out there)

Isn't language wonderful?
In my experience, the "infixes" are part of military jargon. I have not heard them in common uses since I left the US Army -- my service was in the early seventies. [BTW, is "70's" correct or should it be "70s?"].

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.