Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Acorns, nuts, and other seeds

Acorns, nuts, and other seeds

Old Oct 16th 2017, 3:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Acorns, nuts, and other seeds

We have a heavy crop of persimmons. There are loads fallen on the ground and the area is best avoided because of the number of wasps that fruit has attracted.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 3:54 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Black walnuts. Loads of them off trees in the alley behind our building. The squirrels are gobbling them up, no idea if they are also good for humans.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 4:46 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Black walnuts. Loads of them off trees in the alley behind our building. The squirrels are gobbling them up, no idea if they are also good for humans.
Our yard is full of those. The squirrels are leaving them all over the deck as well. Not sure if they are edible or not, most of the time I just run over them with the lawnmower.

We don't even have any Black Walnut trees in our yard, they're all in the empty lot behind our house that will never be developed.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 5:00 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Our yard is full of those. The squirrels are leaving them all over the deck as well. Not sure if they are edible or not, most of the time I just run over them with the lawnmower.

We don't even have any Black Walnut trees in our yard, they're all in the empty lot behind our house that will never be developed.
Apparently you can eat them.

https://nuts.com/nuts/walnuts/black....lack_MB_Phrase

But getting them before the squirrels do would be a bit of a challenge.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 5:02 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

The nuts are edible, and very good, BUT if the squirrels have started one and then dropped it, it is likely that the nut is bad or has a maggot in it.

If you walk under any of our nut trees or oaks you will find a mix of chewed up bits and acorns and nuts that have been partially chewed and rejected.

You can usually tell when nuts are ripe because the outer husk either drops away on its own, or peels away very easily - a nut firm inside its husk is either bad or not yet ripe.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 16th 2017 at 5:15 pm.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 5:04 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently you can eat them.

https://nuts.com/nuts/walnuts/black....lack_MB_Phrase

But getting them before the squirrels do would be a bit of a challenge.
Maybe I should run the squirrels over with the lawnmower instead

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The nuts are edible, and very good, BUT if the squirrels have started one and then dropped it, it is likely that the nut is bad or has a maggot in it.

If you walk under any of our nut trees or oaks you will find a mix of chewed up bits and acorns and nuts that have been partially chewed and rejected.
All the ones I see lying in the yard look like they've been there for a while, so I'm not even going to try
Old Oct 16th 2017, 5:08 pm

Maybe I should run the squirrels over with the lawnmower instead

All the ones I see lying in the yard look like they've been there for a while, so I'm not even going to try
I'm not sure that having minced squirrel on the lawn is huge improvement.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 5:13 pm
I have a comma problem

I'm not sure that having minced squirrel on the lawn is huge improvement.
I should try to recruit the local coyotes then, is what you're saying?
Old Oct 16th 2017, 5:19 pm

I should try to recruit the local coyotes then, is what you're saying?
Perhaps whatever it was that ate a pigeon on my neighbour's front lawn a couple of weeks ago - it left nothing but the head and a few feathers.

We get coyotes, even down here. It's odd to see them wandering around on suburban streets in the early morning.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 5:22 pm
I have a comma problem

Perhaps whatever it was that ate a pigeon on my neighbour's front lawn a couple of weeks ago - it left nothing but the head and a few feathers.

We get coyotes, even down here. It's odd to see them wandering around on suburban streets in the early morning.
The only time I ever see coyotes is wandering around streets in a town. I never see them out in fields or anything. Probably easier pickings in town because of all the squirrels, little shits that they are.

Whatever got that pigeon could easily have just been a cat though.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 5:34 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever got that pigeon could easily have just been a cat though.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 5:42 pm
I have a comma problem

The difference, of course, being that cats will actually catch the pigeon
Old Oct 16th 2017, 6:11 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Ok.. No dissing the Vulture Squadron.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 6:14 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Nutek
Ok.. No dissing the Vulture Squadron.
What are they going to do, come after me? All I would have to do would be dress as a pigeon and I'm home free.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 6:18 pm

Not my cat, the so and so.
Attached Thumbnails Acorns, nuts, and other seeds-do-nothing.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.