Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

About the Andrew SeFaria and Vampier argument.

About the Andrew SeFaria and Vampier argument.

Old Jan 9th 2004, 9:01 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: About the Andrew SeFaria and Vampier argument.

Originally posted by Leslie66
Thanks for responding Rete. Personally I don't think it's anybody's business what you do or when you do it. Whatever you choose to share is fine, but nobody has any right to question you (or me for that matter).

Oh yeah, my boss and I are both internet junkies. When it's slow I spend a lot of time surfing and he knows it. No, he doesn't know each and every website I go to and I'm sure he could care less. I have no idea what he's doing on the net either, and I could care less. The only thing we discuss is plane tickets (he's a genius when it comes to finding cheap fares.) Occasionally if I find an article that will interest him I will forward it to him. He occasionally prints out stuff for me that he thinks I might find interesting.
What a cool boss you have!!
Can he help Sibs and I to find a cheap plane Ticket?
Old Jan 9th 2004, 9:05 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Hypertweeky
What a cool boss you have!!
Can he help Sibs and I to find a cheap plane Ticket?

He is very cool and a good friend. I don't know about the plane tickets though, Hyper. He gave me kind of a blank look when I asked about international flights originating somewhere other than the U.S. He has travelled overseas a lot, but always leaving from here. He does have my stuff on all the fare watchers and I'm checking websites daily. So we'll see who gets the best fare the fastest. It will probably be my husband, you know it is cheaper to buy the plane ticket from Morocco than from here. I have no idea why.
Old Jan 9th 2004, 9:05 pm
Andrew Defaria

Leslie66 wrote:

> Originally posted by Andrew Defaria
    >> Being an atheist all can say is: Soul?
    > A plant doesn't have to "believe" in photosynthesis.

Good thing I'm not a plant! :-)

--
Do illiterate people get the full effect of alphabet soup?

Old Jan 9th 2004, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Richard III will become famous soon enoughRichard III will become famous soon enough

sphyrapicus -

One should never confuse the privilege of paying taxes with the right to vote - sorry, but there is no connection. Another, somewhat parallel complaint I often hear is, " ... well, I'm paying their salaries, gosh darn it (or words to that effect)". That bucket, also, holds no water. That's just how things work, realists get used to the idea.

Richard III

Originally posted by sphyrapicus
Unfortunately, many of us (probably 1/2 of the people on here) have not had the opportunity to vote anyone into office yet (because we have not yet become USCs). It sure is frustrating to have lived legally in this country for 8.5 years and paid taxes in every one of those years but never once been allowed to vote. It seems to me that if one is required to provide a portion of one's income to fill the federal coffers that one should be entitled to vote on the leaders that will decide how that money is used.

One proposal I have is to increase the size of USCIS so they can adequately deal with the backlog. I can apply for and receive a social security card in a few weeks. I can apply for a driver's license and get it within a few weeks. I can apply for a passport and receive it in a few weeks. But, the minute I apply for something at USCIS, it takes months (and sometimes years).
Old Jan 9th 2004, 9:14 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

sphy,

I disagree with your first paragraph. Living here as a non-citizen you do share some (but not all) of the burdens, but you also share some (but not all) of the benefits. If you want all of the benefits - and all of the burdens - after 8.5 years here you could possibly be a citizen by now, or close to it. That would get you your voting rights. Actually, I believe that in some localities, local laws do allow non-citizens can vote on certain local issues.

If you have reasons for not wanting to become a citizen, and those reasons outweigh your desire to influence the use of your tax dollars by voting, that was your choice.

Do you know, by the way, if I was living, working, and paying taxes in your country as a non-citizen - would I be allowed to vote? I know that I wouldn't be allowed to vote in my wife's country.

I agree almost completely with your second paragraph. While I don't think the job of the CIS is comparable to those of the SSA or the state DMVs in some important respects, I do agree completely that the CIS should be given the resources it need to do it's job in a timely manner.

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by sphyrapicus
Unfortunately, many of us (probably 1/2 of the people on here) have not had the opportunity to vote anyone into office yet (because we have not yet become USCs). It sure is frustrating to have lived legally in this country for 8.5 years and paid taxes in every one of those years but never once been allowed to vote. It seems to me that if one is required to provide a portion of one's income to fill the federal coffers that one should be entitled to vote on the leaders that will decide how that money is used.

One proposal I have is to increase the size of USCIS so they can adequately deal with the backlog. I can apply for and receive a social security card in a few weeks. I can apply for a driver's license and get it within a few weeks. I can apply for a passport and receive it in a few weeks. But, the minute I apply for something at USCIS, it takes months (and sometimes years).
Old Jan 9th 2004, 9:22 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Richard,

I disagree with you, and so did the Founding Fathers. The War of Independence was fought over the colonist's privilege of paying taxes to the Crown without having a vote in Parliament.

The connection is the issue of citizenship. The colonists were British citizens. If sphy were an American citizen and couldn't vote, then he would have a legitimate complaint.

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by Richard III
sphyrapicus -

One should never confuse the privilege of paying taxes with the right to vote - sorry, but there is no connection. ...

Richard III
Old Jan 9th 2004, 9:27 pm

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

He is very cool and a good friend. I don't know about the plane tickets though, Hyper. He gave me kind of a blank look when I asked about international flights originating somewhere other than the U.S. He has travelled overseas a lot, but always leaving from here. He does have my stuff on all the fare watchers and I'm checking websites daily. So we'll see who gets the best fare the fastest. It will probably be my husband, you know it is cheaper to buy the plane ticket from Morocco than from here. I have no idea why.
I don't know why is cheaper either
Let me know who gets the cheapest fare ok?
Old Jan 9th 2004, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Richard III will become famous soon enoughRichard III will become famous soon enough

JEff -

I agree, something about a harbo(u)r somewhere on the east coast and some tea... Nevertheless, there is no direct connection between paying taxes in the US and voting. As you say, the link is citizenship. Funny how much a single piece of paper means. ;^)

Richard III

Originally posted by jeffreyhy
Richard,

I disagree with you, and so did the Founding Fathers. The War of Independence was fought over the colonist's privilege of paying taxes to the Crown without having a vote in Parliament.

The connection is the issue of citizenship. The colonists were British citizens. If sphy were an American citizen and couldn't vote, then he would have a legitimate complaint.

Regards, JEff
Old Jan 9th 2004, 9:45 pm

Originally posted by Richard III
JEff -

I agree, something about a harbo(u)r somewhere on the east coast and some tea... Nevertheless, there is no direct connection between paying taxes in the US and voting. As you say, the link is citizenship. Funny how much a single piece of paper means. ;^)

Richard III
I will never be able to vote, not fair
Old Jan 9th 2004, 9:46 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

I will never be able to vote, not fair

Why?
Old Jan 9th 2004, 9:51 pm

Why?

I can vote in Spain.. but not in the US. Why? Because I can't have dual citizenship not fair huh?
Old Jan 9th 2004, 10:34 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I can vote in Spain.. but not in the US. Why? Because I can't have dual citizenship not fair huh?

But who has put this unfairness on your plate? Your government has. But in time, your government might change its laws and allow you to accept citizenship in another country without having to formally lose your Spanish citizenship.

Another thing to take into consideration is where you will be spending the rest of your life. You have opted to marry an American and have opted to live in the US. I don't know your plans and whether you ever plan on returning to Spain to live and it is not my business to know your personal plans. These are matters that you must weigh when you decide where your interests truly lie in the years to come. Here in the US where you are living and raising a family or to a country which is your homeland by birth but no longer your home.

I have a good friend who met her now husband in the chatroom where I met my husband. We married around the same time. She is a British subject and has been a resident in the US since the 1960's. She has two grown sons and has never become a US Citizen. She is quite happy living that way and although on occasion will mention one day applying for US naturalizaiton has never done so and yet she said she has no desire to ever resume a life in England. The US has been her home for over 30 years and will remain so. So who is the loser in her situation? I see the losers to be her and the US, itself, because they do not have the power of her vote to help shape the government that shapes her life.

Rete
Old Jan 9th 2004, 10:38 pm
Andrew Defaria

sphyrapicus wrote:

> Originally posted by Rete
    >> ...sent to the people we voted into office advising them of what our
    >> collective thoughts...
    > Unfortunately, many of us (probably 1/2 of the people on here) have not
    > had the opportunity to vote anyone into office yet (because we have not
    > yet become USCs). It sure is frustrating to have lived legally in this
    > country for 8.5 years and paid taxes in every one of those years but
    > never once been allowed to vote. It seems to me that if one is required
    > to provide a portion of one's income to fill the federal coffers that
    > one should be entitled to vote on the leaders that will decide how that
    > money is used.
    > One proposal I have is to increase the size of USCIS so they can
    > adequately deal with the backlog. I can apply for and receive a social
    > security card in a few weeks. I can apply for a driver's license and get
    > it within a few weeks. I can apply for a passport and receive it in a
    > few weeks. But, the minute I apply for something at USCIS, it takes
    > months (and sometimes years).

Hey wait a second! You can't hijack this thread and turn it into a
serious discussion! ;-)
--
What is a "free" gift ? Aren't all gifts free?

Old Jan 9th 2004, 10:42 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

As I understand it, Spain DOES allow double citizenship Hyper....are you sure about this?
Old Jan 9th 2004, 10:44 pm
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

Questions 87 on the list of 100 sample Naturalization test questions reads, "What is the most important right granted to U.S. citizens".

Answer, the right to vote.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.