Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

90 day fiance - tv show!

90 day fiance - tv show!

Old Jan 15th 2014, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 90 day fiance - tv show!

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
WTF is with his friend coming over to sleep with them to stop him from temptation?! That's just WEIRD.
Yes, that was bizarre! How is the friend sleeping on the sofa meant to stop him sneaking into her bedroom!

In the trailer for next week's show, there were some other couples shown, so maybe they will be introduced next week.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 3:59 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NatashaB
Yes, that was bizarre! How is the friend sleeping on the sofa meant to stop him sneaking into her bedroom!

In the trailer for next week's show, there were some other couples shown, so maybe they will be introduced next week.
Turns out the fiancée is a Mormon as well. Didn't realise that. Still utterly bizarre behaviour.

I do sympathise with their situation though regarding the 'trial' living period. I was lucky enough to have a work visa when I relocated so we were under no pressure to get married like these couples feel they are. As it was, we lived together for 6 months before marrying. So I can understand how pressurised they feel.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 4:07 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Turns out the fiancée is a Mormon as well. Didn't realise that. Still utterly bizarre behaviour.

I do sympathise with their situation though regarding the 'trial' living period. I was lucky enough to have a work visa when I relocated so we were under no pressure to get married like these couples feel they are. As it was, we lived together for 6 months before marrying. So I can understand how pressurised they feel.
The thing is, the K-1 visa is supposed to be for couples who already know they want to get married. They are supposed to have spent enough time together already to know they want to marry for sure. They are supposed to already be engaged when they start the visa (petition) process. The K-1 isn't a "try it and see" or "get to know each other better" visa. There shouldn't be any pressure to marry! Marriage was the plan 6 - 10 months ago when they start the process!

Yes, things can happen and the marriage can be called off within those first 90 days, with no repurcussions...the K-1 holder simply goes back home. But they are supposed to go into it knowing this is the person they want to marry and spend their life with.

I get the feeling the show is making it look like it's a "get to know you better" visa.

Rene
Old Jan 15th 2014, 4:13 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The thing is, the K-1 visa is supposed to be for couples who already know they want to get married. They are supposed to have spent enough time together already to know they want to marry for sure. They are supposed to already be engaged when they start the visa (petition) process. The K-1 isn't a "try it and see" or "get to know each other better" visa. There shouldn't be any pressure to marry! Marriage was the plan 6 - 10 months ago when they start the process!
I think that of course whilst this is the theory, the reality is that the K1 is used for this purpose. I sympathize with it. Living with someone is entirely different than just 'dating' someone overseas.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 4:32 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I think that of course whilst this is the theory, the reality is that the K1 is used for this purpose. I sympathize with it. Living with someone is entirely different than just 'dating' someone overseas.
I'm not 20 or 30 but I've been married twice in both instances I did not live with either husband before marrying them. My second husband and I were fortunate enough to only have the Can/Am border between us so we visited often but we married within 3 weeks of his entry on a K-1.

I've also always felt that women from countries who are not part of the VWP plan use the K-1 for getting to know their future spouses better but I also have seen over the last 16 years that they most often use the K-1 as a means to get to the US, obtain a green card and then up and leave. Be it conditional or not, the green card removal of conditions is not all that difficult for some one to get a waiver.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 5:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I'm not 20 or 30 but I've been married twice in both instances I did not live with either husband before marrying them. My second husband and I were fortunate enough to only have the Can/Am border between us so we visited often but we married within 3 weeks of his entry on a K-1.

I've also always felt that women from countries who are not part of the VWP plan use the K-1 for getting to know their future spouses better but I also have seen over the last 16 years that they most often use the K-1 as a means to get to the US, obtain a green card and then up and leave. Be it conditional or not, the green card removal of conditions is not all that difficult for some one to get a waiver.
Are you basing that on trends you've on the forum here, or 'couples' you've met in real life? I'll admit, I haven't spent all that much time on the Marriage Visa forum lately, but I hadn't picked up on this trend.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 5:52 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
Are you basing that on trends you've on the forum here, or 'couples' you've met in real life? I'll admit, I haven't spent all that much time on the Marriage Visa forum lately, but I hadn't picked up on this trend.
What i've read on the forum here. There are a lot of people who marry to ensure they can give their relationship a chance of success. Surprised you haven't picked up on it. Lots of people in the forums who stated they would bring forward marriage to ensure they can be together.

Indeed, the option most frequently listed by contributors on this forum is that two people in a relationship who wish to be together in the same country and are currently are not should get married.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 6:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

What i've read on the forum here. There are a lot of people who marry to ensure they can give their relationship a chance of success. Surprised you haven't picked up on it. Lots of people in the forums who stated they would bring forward marriage to ensure they can be together.

Indeed, the option most frequently listed by contributors on this forum is that two people in a relationship who wish to be together in the same country and are currently are not should get married.
Well, I'll admit, hubby and I had to rush into marriage ourselves. We did date in person for around 2months while I was in Glasgow as a student, but then we really had no other option but to jump right into marriage in order to continue our relationship. Roughly 18 months after we met, and only having spent around 5months total physically together, we got hitched. Almost 10 years later, we are still together. Would we have loved more time to simply be a couple and date? Of course, but that wasn't a feasible option unfortunately. But, fortunately, it's worked out so far for us.

I don't see getting married in order to be together a bad thing at all. That doesn't mean the foreign spouse is only in it for the Green Card, if that's what you are implying.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 6:32 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
Well, I'll admit, hubby and I had to rush into marriage ourselves. We did date in person for around 2months while I was in Glasgow as a student, but then we really had no other option but to jump right into marriage in order to continue our relationship.
Well, exactly. Hence my previous comment. Your story is one told hundreds of times over on this forum and others.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 2:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Watching the repeat. Not sure I could stomach watching the whole series. Some really awkward moments where I was thinking "guys there's a camera crew watching ".
Old Jan 16th 2014, 3:46 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Just watched it too.

It's a shame it's about 4 funny looking American dudes and 4 exotic foreign ladies - a bit misleading maybe, given that on this site at least, many of the American K1 (& spouse) sponsors are exotic ladies, and the foreigner is a funny looking dude!
Old Jan 16th 2014, 4:18 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It's scary the number of Brazilians in the metrowest area who are here on the dodge. Most come as au-pairs or students and end up staying.
Which is why they won't let Brazil into the VWP.

Anyway they were making fun of it last night on The Soup which was quite funny.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Watching the repeat. Not sure I could stomach watching the whole series. Some really awkward moments where I was thinking "guys there's a camera crew watching ".
Yes, the cameraman really didn't take the hint and turn the camera off, did he!?
Old Jan 17th 2014, 12:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Seems extremely sexist.

If you go onto VJ you will see many with a 40 year difference.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 3:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

my ex-wife and I married pretty quickly, but like others it was the only way to be together, I went the other way and left the US for Canada as it was far simpler process, but had we not gotten married, we would have had to break up, the flying back and forth and being apart was a strain not really conducive to a relationship working.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.