Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

7 dead in Drive by shooting in CA seems one English kid who could not handle it.

7 dead in Drive by shooting in CA seems one English kid who could not handle it.

Old May 28th 2014, 1:42 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 dead in Drive by shooting in CA seems one English kid who could not handle it.

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Being mentally ill does not automatically make one insane, how hard is that to understand? .....
I understand that perfectly well, and I never said that being mentally ill did make someone insane. However it was your statement of the mirror image situation I take issue with, where you said "...This guy could very well be 100% sane, ....". As I said earlier in the thread, running amok with guns, killing people is, IMO, one defining example of insanity. It is an extraordinarily "bad decision" with no merits or redeeming benefits, and as such is a perfect example of an act of insanity. Unfortunately the US penal-medical system has virtually no place for such individuals and that results in people with all sorts of mental issues ending up in the prison system with little or no treatment.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 28th 2014 at 1:50 am.
Old May 28th 2014, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 dead in Drive by shooting in CA seems one English kid who could not handle it.

Originally Posted by robin1234
Clinical evaluation by a professional?
... who would observe their behaviour and actions ...
Old May 28th 2014, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
Most people with mental disorders don't hurt anyone. Using actions as a basis for diagnosis will miss the vast majority of those who have an issue.
I wasn't suggesting that you could diagnose all mental disorders simply by observing someone's actions.

However I was suggesting that certain actions (such as going out and killing a bunch of people) just might be pretty damn good indicator that someone was insane.
Old May 28th 2014, 5:18 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
I wasn't suggesting that you could diagnose all mental disorders simply by observing someone's actions.

However I was suggesting that certain actions (such as going out and killing a bunch of people) just might be pretty damn good indicator that someone was insane.
Insanity is a legal term to describe one who can't separate reality from fantasy. Very few people are "insane," even if they have some sort of mental disorder.

The videos would suggest that this guy was competent. Not insane. Angry, yes, but he knew what he was doing.
Old May 28th 2014, 5:22 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Er... actually the gun control supporters keep going on about it being a "public health" epidemic that so many people get shot.
That's true, but it had nothing to do with what I'm saying. Why you brought that up, I don't know.

Once again: Gun fans like to think that we can determine a priori who shouldn't own a gun; identifying and disarming the bad guys is enough. Of course, they're wrong, but some people find facts to be awfully inconvenient.
Old May 28th 2014, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Insanity is a legal term to describe one who can't separate reality from fantasy. Very few people are "insane," even if they have some sort of mental disorder.

While "insanity" certainly does have a specific legal meaning (which, I venture to suggest, is probably not identical in every jurisdiction) it is also a perfectly normal word that you can find in the dictionary and which is used every day by people who are neither attorneys or internet pedants.

The Concise Oxford Dictionary defines it thus:

"insane: not of sound mind, mentally deranged, extremely foolish, irrational"

I submit to you that the person that we are talking about here meets every single one of those criteria and that, in plain English, they are clearly "insane".

Whether they meet the legal definition of insanity is a different question and one which only a court can decide.
Old May 28th 2014, 1:03 pm
Bloody Yank

Originally Posted by md95065
While "insanity" certainly does have a specific legal meaning (which, I venture to suggest, is probably not identical in every jurisdiction) it is also a perfectly normal word that you can find in the dictionary and which is used every day by people who are neither attorneys or internet pedants.
This is the problem to which Robin was alluding: when colloquial (mis)uses of terms are confused with the definitions used by experts, then we end up with this kind of distortion, which leads to the wrong conclusions being reached.

I get it: terms such as "crazy" and "insane" pepper our language. That's fine for a chat, but it becomes a problem when one mistakes that commonplace usage for some kind of clinical diagnosis.

More to the point, blaming crime on "crazy" people is a barrier to understanding the problem of crime. Mental health professionals are quick to point out that crimes and mental disorders are not usually linked to one another, which is contrary to the gut feelings of the average uninformed citizen. We won't reduce crime rates by singling out the "crazy" people.

http://www.apa.org/news/press/releas...ess-crime.aspx
Old May 28th 2014, 3:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

That's true, but it had nothing to do with what I'm saying. Why you brought that up, I don't know.

Once again: Gun fans like to think that we can determine a priori who shouldn't own a gun; identifying and disarming the bad guys is enough. Of course, they're wrong, but some people find facts to be awfully inconvenient.
The disarming is done by shooting them though. Nicely circular.
Old May 29th 2014, 12:59 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I don't agree with your characterization. In a free society you have this thing called: "freedom" which implies that people can be irresponsible and commit criminal acts. So a safeguard would be having background checks. I don't think anyone has ever argued that it would be a complete panacea.

The most classic example being locking up people in prison - they can't commit much crime while in prison but others can.

Anyway I think with the advent of 3D printers that can print in metal the whole thing is rapidly becoming academic.

As I was saying above, no-one can explain away why California has seven times the rate of firearm-related homicide that Canada has in terms of gun laws. The gun laws aren't that much different in their severity, in fact I would say California has greater checks on mental health.

You made me look up the ATF trace statistics last time this happened and they show that most guns used in crime in California were originally sold in California and in any event you can smuggle guns into Canada across the border (and even if you assume CBSA do a fantastic job, I doubt it would account for such a huge difference in the homicide rate).

Searching the web, the household ownership rate of firearms in California is 21% and in Alberta for example it's 20% based on household surveys, but people don't shoot each other anywhere near as much. The firearm-related homicide rate in California is just over 3/100,000 whereas in Alberta it's 0.76/100,000 - so four times the rate when comparing just that province.

There's more going on here than anything to do with guns.
Old May 29th 2014, 1:59 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... There's more going on here than anything to do with guns.
More Americans are insane.
Old May 29th 2014, 3:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

300 million population

Say 4 million die a year

Say 10,000 a day

If you want your death to hit the news you know what to do.
Old May 29th 2014, 12:29 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler

If you want your death to hit the news you know what to do.
Live in a small town. Your death will be listed in the paper.
Old May 29th 2014, 3:23 pm
Bloody Yank

As I was saying above, no-one can explain away why California has seven times the rate of firearm-related homicide that Canada has in terms of gun laws.
It's more difficult to get a gun in Canada.

Guns make it easier for people to turn violent impulses into action. Not very tough to understand.
Old May 29th 2014, 3:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

In this case it was a knife that started it.

Then a car that allowed transit to to the next location.

Where there is a will there is a way.
Old May 29th 2014, 4:02 pm
Bloody Yank

If it was true that will = way, then we can just arm the military with knives and take their guns away, since their sheer willpower will overcome the opposition.

If it was true that will = way, then the guns nuts should stop arguing that they need guns to defend themselves, since they should have enough will to defend themselves by other means.

It isn't just about will. Having the right tools for the job makes it that much easier.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.