2020 Election

Old Jun 29th 2019, 9:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 2020 Election

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
It's pretty transparent where this line is coming from. Of course, "independent" Boiler is choosing to run with it:

"What a weird coincidence that a group of accounts, starting with Ali, decided to tweet the exact same thing (verbatim) about Kamala Harris within minutes of each other tonight. "

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/28/u...la-harris.html
I do not have access to the NYT.

Anyway what she did was deceptive at best, Tactically a win but Strategically a defeat.

Biden in the format of these debates tried to put across the nuance of the situation but it was impossible.

Now a cursory look shows that she has many similar issues and it will be very easy for somebody else to do the same to her as she did to Biden.

And it is very early in the game, why go after somebody who can hurt you. Biden may not be able to win but he can make a serious dent in anybody else chances.

So I know she is not stupid, her and her team must have considered all this beforehand. My only conclusion is that she has cashed in early, she knows she can not win, well there can be only one winner and has been persuaded or has sought to be somebody's attack dog. They can keep their chips in hand, she does the dirty work and gets a nice earner out of it. VP, Cabinet Post.

So the thing to watch is who she will not go after, she will not waste energy on the no hopers. Whoever is last standing is the one who made the best offer.
Old Jun 29th 2019, 9:38 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I'm telling you how subsides work with the ACA. You brought up 'undocumented'. I would imagine the 'undocumented' and those 'poor enough to be not paying taxes' are going to be in the same situation. So what's the relevance of 'undocumented' in this context, other than to try to keep that false narrative going?
Because Medicare is something you pay into and Medicaid is not, they said Medicare. They did not say, I think, free Healthcare for people undocumented.
Old Jun 29th 2019, 9:40 pm
Account Closed

There you go again - 'parents were not African Americans but PHDs at Berkeley'. How about, 'parents were not African Americans but Jamaicans and Indians'? Basic logical sentence structure ...

And by the way ... despite what you might think, you can actually be both African American AND a PHD at Berkeley ...

How hard is it to read up on her background? I knew she was the daughter of a Jamaican / Indian family 6 months ago. She's not hiding the fact.
I did not know here background until recently, I had heard about the issues when she was a Prosecutor, I would imagine very few people know her history. Not sure I know the family history of any of the Candidates, well except Warren.
Old Jun 29th 2019, 10:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Because Medicare is something you pay into and Medicaid is not, they said Medicare. They did not say, I think, free Healthcare for people undocumented.
"They DID NOT SAY ... free healthcare for people undocumented" - so if they didn't say that, why did you bring it up?
Old Jun 29th 2019, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

I see. Her father was Jamaican and her mother was Indian. So she's clearly of 'African' descent on her father's side, which means she shares the same 'origins' as 'African Americans'. If her father is a black jamaican, one would presume his history includes being a descendent of slaves at some point - how else did his family end up in Jamaica?

Amazing that this would be a topic of discussion.
Sadly the "nit pickers" like to nit pick, to try to confuse the issue !
Old Jun 29th 2019, 10:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Well we all go back to Africa if you want to go far enough, but she certainly did not make clear that her Parents were not African Americans but PHD's at Berkeley, many people who saw that could come away with a very different view and I would not blame them.
So you can only make a point about segregation and busing if you fit Boiler's definition of being black enough? Really, you're going down the same racist route as Trump has with Warren.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jun 29th 2019 at 10:22 pm.
Old Jun 29th 2019, 10:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

That is not what they said, and tax credits are very little help to somebody not paying taxes or are very little in the way of taxes. Normally in that situation you would be on Medicaid not Medicare.
Strictly speaking the ACA doesn't provide tax credits, but "premium subsidies". It just happens that the tax system is used to reconcile what one's subsidy is. And that subsidy may exceed one's tax liability. Of course, even tax credits can be "refundable", meaning you get the credit even if it exceeds your tax liability. The earned income tax credit is an example.

From what was said in the debates, it's not clear what would happen to Medicaid (and VA) under various guises of "Medicare for all". The US healthcare system is such a shambles of differing methods of access, that rationally reforming it - as we've seen over the last decade - is fiendishly difficult.

Oh, and after 10 years we're still waiting to hear the "replace" part of the Republicans' "repeal and replace" of the ACA. At least the Democrats are trying to tackle the issue of improving healthcare access.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jun 29th 2019 at 10:30 pm.
Old Jun 29th 2019, 10:59 pm
Account Closed

Strictly speaking the ACA doesn't provide tax credits, but "premium subsidies". It just happens that the tax system is used to reconcile what one's subsidy is. And that subsidy may exceed one's tax liability. Of course, even tax credits can be "refundable", meaning you get the credit even if it exceeds your tax liability. The earned income tax credit is an example.

From what was said in the debates, it's not clear what would happen to Medicaid (and VA) under various guises of "Medicare for all". The US healthcare system is such a shambles of differing methods of access, that rationally reforming it - as we've seen over the last decade - is fiendishly difficult.

Oh, and after 10 years we're still waiting to hear the "replace" part of the Republicans' "repeal and replace" of the ACA. At least the Democrats are trying to tackle the issue of improving healthcare access.
We are at risk of going off topic and yes like many policies it is unclear what is proposed, what you are putting your hand up for.

I assumed maybe incorrectly that Medicare For All related to the way that works, Medicaid For All would be different. Medicare you qualify for through contributions or in a few cases buy into so was following that principal.

It is an unholy mess, makes me wonder are they saying yes to the same thing?
Old Jun 29th 2019, 11:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Another take on busing. If this wasn't a comment made through pure ignorance, it would be quite amusing:

Old Jun 30th 2019, 1:58 am
Account Closed

ROFL That would probably have been my answer, ask a stupid question...

Assuming Trump stands then all the Dems have to do to win is nominate somebody down the middle and they would walk it, let us say a Biden without the baggage, so why are they so intent on making their top priority so hard?
Old Jun 30th 2019, 2:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ROFL That would probably have been my answer, ask a stupid question...
ROFL.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.e2e26d2bc6bc
Old Jun 30th 2019, 2:17 am
Account Closed

What does it say, can not read it.
Old Jun 30th 2019, 2:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What does it say, can not read it.
Buy a subscription then.
Old Jun 30th 2019, 2:41 am
Account Closed

Buy a subscription then.
Think I will give it a miss.
Old Jun 30th 2019, 2:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Think I will give it a miss.
Would have thought an independent like you would want to have access to a paper such as the Washington Post.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.