2020 Election

Old Jul 15th 2019, 6:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Discussion of Republican responses to Trump's racist tweets. Lindsey Graham wins the prize. Someone must have great kompromat on him:

"“We all know that AOC and this crowd are a bunch of communists,” Graham said. “They hate Israel. They hate our own country."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.e1e152aa9cda
Old Jul 15th 2019, 9:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler

2020 Democrats have started to clash over slavery reparations, but a new poll shows most liberals support the idea

https://www.businessinsider.com/majo...l-shows-2019-3

I think it was this that was the basis of why I thought that.
I wonder why they categorized based on 'liberal or very liberal', rather than 'likely democratic voters'. It's not clear to me they are the same demographic.

I actually think Sanders' response is appropriate here - 'there are better ways than writing a check'. There you go - I found something to like about Sanders!
Old Jul 15th 2019, 11:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Probably were asked to self identify? I do not know. No definition of any of those terms.
Old Jul 16th 2019, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

There is a lot to be said about the concept of “a loyal opposition”, which seems to have disappeared entirely from US political discourse. Along with the concept of “my hono(u)rable colleague” with whom one may vehemently disagree but also recognise they are working for the good of the country, as they see it.

Nowadays its just just naked greed and power without even a veneer of lip service to serving the public.
Old Jul 16th 2019, 12:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by yellowroom
There is a lot to be said about the concept of “a loyal opposition”, which seems to have disappeared entirely from US political discourse. Along with the concept of “my hono(u)rable colleague” with whom one may vehemently disagree but also recognise they are working for the good of the country, as they see it.

Nowadays its just just naked greed and power without even a veneer of lip service to serving the public.
Just more obvious now. Any pretence has gone.
Old Jul 16th 2019, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robtuck
I don't think it's a shock to anyone that he would hold such views - he appears to be digging a hole by suggesting it's OK to say it because other people think it as well. Now, I say hole, because that is what it usually would be, but his success has been in narrowing the ideological variations down to two sides, so those who support him would do so regardless of what he says, because they really do agree (and he knows the staunch Republicans are not going to vote Democrat). The question for 2020 is really about whether or not the Democratic candidate can rally the other side significantly on turnout, sort of like the mid terms. Independent's who haven't voted for Trump are never going to, so he cannot build his own "base". As much as I hate negative campaigns, and I think having one or two key ideas to vote for will be critical if the Democrats want to win, they may also have some success in stoking just the right amount of alternative fear - he's coming for YOU (like Republicans do on 2nd Amendment issues).
If Trump gets re-elected, there is no denying the ugly truth, that at-least half the American voter either doesn't mind that the President is a racist or likes him for it.
Old Jul 16th 2019, 11:07 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robtuck
I don't think it's a shock to anyone that he would hold such views - he appears to be digging a hole by suggesting it's OK to say it because other people think it as well. Now, I say hole, because that is what it usually would be, but his success has been in narrowing the ideological variations down to two sides, so those who support him would do so regardless of what he says, because they really do agree (and he knows the staunch Republicans are not going to vote Democrat). The question for 2020 is really about whether or not the Democratic candidate can rally the other side significantly on turnout, sort of like the mid terms. Independent's who haven't voted for Trump are never going to, so he cannot build his own "base". As much as I hate negative campaigns, and I think having one or two key ideas to vote for will be critical if the Democrats want to win, they may also have some success in stoking just the right amount of alternative fear - he's coming for YOU (like Republicans do on 2nd Amendment issues).
Not so much digging a hole, as whippping up a very partisan crowd to support him by making them feel that it's ok to say and think this sort of thing. It's a tactic - he knows that there is a huge chunk of the population who will not vote for him, ever. Therefore he needs to ensure that everyone who would, does. Polarisation at its finest. I wouldn't be surprised if this country puts him back in office.
Old Jul 16th 2019, 11:20 am
Account Closed

>>BE Guest003 is an unknown quantity at this point

It will be interesting to see what he will do if he loses. Will he accept the vote or blame it on Russian interference and refuse to leave the WH?
Old Jul 16th 2019, 11:46 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't really matter what he does. If the joint session ratifies the results of the election then he turns into a pumpkin at midday on inauguration day and will be ignored after that.
Old Jul 16th 2019, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Not so much digging a hole, as whippping up a very partisan crowd to support him by making them feel that it's ok to say and think this sort of thing. It's a tactic - he knows that there is a huge chunk of the population who will not vote for him, ever. Therefore he needs to ensure that everyone who would, does. Polarisation at its finest. I wouldn't be surprised if this country puts him back in office.
Sadly can't but agree with you
But :- there's a lot off "effing crazies" out there who are his die hard supporters, if just one off them decides to take it into his/her own hands & thin out his opponents,
solely because they think it time to take a stand against those who disagree with Trump & campaign against him, then the lid could come flying off.
From my side off the "pond" ,the USA under Trump's guidance seems to be nearly ready to break down.
Discontent & despair on one side , the other now feel empowered to do what ever they wish , as now The Presidents has openly stated & defended his racist comments & flipped "the finger" to those who dare attack him for them.
Old Jul 16th 2019, 2:30 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
It doesn't really matter what he does. If the joint session ratifies the results of the election then he turns into a pumpkin at midday on inauguration day and will be ignored after that.
Think about all the other axioms this president has proven wrong. There are multitude of scenarios to play out between a November and a January.
Old Jul 16th 2019, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Think about all the other axioms this president has proven wrong. There are multitude of scenarios to play out between a November and a January.
Aren't those axioms half the reason a lot of people voted for him...? They wanted a break from the norm and they got it. Whether right or wrong, beneficial to them or not etc... They got it.
Old Jul 17th 2019, 9:37 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
You're suggesting that he would ignore an order from the Supreme Court (which he hasn't yet) and the USSS would refuse an order from their lawfully sworn in President to remove him from the White House.

If he refused to leave, presumably he'd be arrested just like any other trespasser.

I honestly think that if he loses he will give it up, he'll wine and cry and be posting on Twitter until the day he keels over, but no one will care other than his die hards.
Old Jul 17th 2019, 2:23 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
You're suggesting that he would ignore an order from the Supreme Court (which he hasn't yet) and the USSS would refuse an order from their lawfully sworn in President to remove him from the White House.

If he refused to leave, presumably he'd be arrested just like any other trespasser.

I honestly think that if he loses he will give it up, he'll wine and cry and be posting on Twitter until the day he keels over, but no one will care other than his die hards.
I am not making any suggestions, because I can't predict the future. it is naive to think things will just go on as normal, when a new normal is developing. I think you are assuming it will get to a Supreme Court decision, based on a simple question, surrounding how you expect things to develop.
Great change happens when several variables are intersecting. I don't know what those variables might be yet. The House majority is the only good thing in this. I don't expect a Constitution crisis after the next election, but I think it naive to think the system is robust enough to prevent it. The Republican resistance to challenge Trump being the weakest link in the system.
Old Jul 17th 2019, 2:26 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

If it's Trump-Pence and they win, then VP Pence will be free to ditch Mother and get a fashion model of his own.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.