Wikiposts

2016 Election

Old Nov 15th 2016, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2016 Election

Originally Posted by CelticRover
Noam Chomsky predicted the emergence of someone akin to Mr Trump six years ago.
Watch the Vote Waldo episode of Black Mirror. It's about an offensive cartoon character that starts running in a real election.
Old Nov 15th 2016, 2:18 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
I think that is the point, you judge people by what you consider a term to mean, whether it is meant in the way you think or not. If I use the term illegals for example I do not consider it a bad phrase just the one commonly used in the discussion, what is now the accepted phrase ? Funny, amongst "illegals" I know, that is not unfrequently the phrase they use themselves. Even if someone were to use the phrase and was racist, does that mean all their opinions are wrong ? Or shouldn't be listened to ?

I must say though I do wonder though if some people who complain about illegal immigration really mean all immigration- as the logic of being against illegal immigration often may apply to legal immigration as well. But it is strange that a nation has laws and people defend not applying the laws it has.

Why on earth would I turn someone in for doing what was best for herself and her children ? I was just pointing out the cost to the state was far higher and any contribution made as a policy issue.

So for discussion what is the PC phrase to use ? And just a question- do I tell "illegals" they should stop using the term amongst themselves ?
You're so full of shit.
Old Nov 15th 2016, 2:21 am
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Seems appropriate for the times: Obama has to train his successor for his job before he's shown the door.

Obama to Give Trump Remedial Crash Course in Running the Government | Vanity Fair
Old Nov 15th 2016, 3:28 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof
Seems appropriate for the times: Obama has to train his successor for his job before he's shown the door.

Obama to Give Trump Remedial Crash Course in Running the Government | Vanity Fair
From this link. Very heartening...

"Faced with the prospect of handing over the nuclear codes and control of a sprawling, $18 trillion economy to a Beltway neophyte and serial bankrupt, the president intends to spend even more time tutoring Trump, The Wall Street Journal reports: "

During their private White House meeting on Thursday, Mr. Obama walked his successor through the duties of running the country, and Mr. Trump seemed surprised by the scope, said people familiar with the meeting. Trump aides were described by those people as unaware that the entire presidential staff working in the West Wing had to be replaced at the end of Mr. Obama’s term.

“After meeting with Mr. Trump, the only person to be elected president without having held a government or military position, Mr. Obama realized the Republican needs more guidance. He plans to spend more time with his successor than presidents typically do, people familiar with the matter said.”
Old Nov 15th 2016, 3:35 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

This could be good. If Trump can set aside his ego and be willing to learn during this time, maybe being better informed of the reality of the job, and being better prepared to take it on might moderate him somewhat.
Old Nov 15th 2016, 3:50 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

So if Trump as he said he would tears up the agreement with Iran then what happens next?
He'd better do some serious thinking on that one. Appointing some bully boy like Bolton or Guliani as Sec of State wont work in getting his way with the Mullahs. They have Russia standing behind them now and there'll be no support from either Russia or Europe in any attempt to start renegotiating a new agreement.
Old Nov 15th 2016, 3:52 am
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
So if Trump as he said he would tears up the agreement with Iran then what happens next?
He'd better do some serious thinking on that one. Appointing some bully boy like Bolton or Guliani as Sec of State wont work in getting his way with the Mullahs. They have Russia standing behind them now and there'll be no support from either Russia or Europe in any attempt to start renegotiating a new agreement.
He's already walked that back to "renegotiate".
Old Nov 15th 2016, 4:09 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I'm more inclined to the Moody Blues, Go Now
How about another Whitney Houston hit "Where do broken hearts go"?
Old Nov 15th 2016, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

I find it strange that people are protesting against Trump. If they get their wish, and he steps down, I assume Mike Pence takes over. Having started to read about him just to see what he is all about, I gotta say, I hope and pray nothing happens to the Donald in the next 4 years!!!!!!
Old Nov 15th 2016, 4:13 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
How about another Whitney Houston hit "Where do broken hearts go"?
Spoiler:
Old Nov 15th 2016, 4:23 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Trump aides were described by those people as unaware that the entire presidential staff working in the West Wing had to be replaced at the end of Mr. Obama’s term.
How do they not know that? I knew that as one of the fundamental differences between UK & US government as the UK has the civil service (all the Sir Humphreys) that facilitates the transition. And it's one of the reasons people give for the big gap between election and inauguration - to get a staff in place. And I'm not a citizen, I only lived there for 3 years!!

For goodness sake, didn't any of them watch The West Wing?!
Old Nov 15th 2016, 4:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Odd that people involved who have been present through other administrations did not know this.
Old Nov 15th 2016, 5:43 am
Forum Regular

Ebonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder when we'll get to the point where supporters of both parties in this election will stop reflexively pointing out reasons why the other candidate would be worse, for issues that have arisen AFTER the election?
Old Nov 15th 2016, 5:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Unlikely
Old Nov 15th 2016, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

Ebonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Unlikely
So in 2 years time, when a Republican Representative is found to have accepted millions of dollars from a foreign government to vote a particular way on a piece of legislation, and all we'll hear about is "But the Clinton Foundation is crooked! She would have been so much worse! Emails!"?

Man, that's depressing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.