Wikiposts

2016 Election

Old Mar 17th 2016, 9:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2016 Election

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Even the current GOP congress could oppose him..
Business as usual then?
Old Mar 17th 2016, 9:27 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Business as usual then?
Yeah, more or less.
Old Mar 17th 2016, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

FlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond repute

Evidently the Republican Establishment is wracking its collective pea brain to find a way to deny Trump the nomination if he falls even one delegate below 1237. That may be Hillary's best hope, because it would tear the Party apart and split the anti-Hillary vote between Trump (as Third Party) and Establishment Guy (Kasich?). Is there any other reason for Kasich to continue his run, other than to split the anti-Trump vote and be Establishment Guy? Although splitting the anti-Trump vote is almost as stupid a move as Kasich could make, if it weren't all about Kasich and his insufferable ego.

I think the idea that Kasich stands the best chance of beating Hillary is someone's pipe dream, whatever the early polls might have suggested. It would be McCain redux and she'd wipe the floor with him, as he would pull every possible punch, while regaling us with stories about how he balanced the federal budget all by himself, saved the country after 9/11 at the Pentagon, all by himself, and saved Ohio from itself all by himself. Trump, on the other hand, would take her on full tilt. He may already have fatally labelled her through his Barking Dog ad the way he killed off "low energy" Bush and "Little Marco."

Still looking for my guy, but it ain't Kasich, as you all might have guessed.

Last edited by FlaviusAetius; Mar 17th 2016 at 10:39 am.
Old Mar 17th 2016, 11:44 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I think there are two angles to this, possibly conflicting.
1) Would Trump be easier to BEAT in the general than Cruz, and
2) Would Trump be better for the country than Cruz, should one of them actually beat Hillary.

I just can't wrap my head around a good answer to these questions. I think the answer to #1 really depends on just how many 'crossover' angry white male voters will crawl out of the woodwork and vote for him. I think he'll inspire a strong negative vote, but if he also gets people to cross over, that could be a disaster. Cruz, on the other hand, is too far right to win the Independents. So perhaps, Cruz is a more PREDICTABLE opponent.

And should we be faced with either a Cruz or a Trump victory ... who will screw the country the most? Cruz, we know, will try to do all the things he said he'll do - defund PP, ban gay marriage, kill Obamacare, etc. But what will Trump REALLY do ... I honestly can't predict. I don't think he gives a stuff about gay marriage or PP, and I think he'll approach Obamacare from a strictly financial viewpoint. But really, who knows what floats around in that head. His unpredictability is the biggest concern I guess.
I honestly don't know which one would be the tougher opponent for Hillary. I'm thinking it would be Trump but Cruise has been good at coalition building. If Trump had never happened, Cruz would have already won the primary.

Between Cruz and Trump, IMO, Trump would be far worse as president. He's deliberately pretty much started a race war and is threatening riots if he doesn't get the nomination. For months, he's shown us who he is and told us what he'll do. There's really no need to try guess what kind of president Trump will be, he's spelled it out in many, mostly monosyllabic, tweets and bleats.

This is not a conclusion I'm happy with but Trump winning the Republican nomination would mean Trump being one campaign away from the presidency. That dog won't hunt.
Old Mar 17th 2016, 11:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
I honestly don't know which one would be the tougher opponent for Hillary. I'm thinking it would be Trump but Cruise has been good at coalition building. If Trump had never happened, Cruz would have already won the primary.
Interesting question. I'm not so sure Cruz would have won if Trump had never entered the race. I think the establishment vote would have been much stronger maybe even to the point that someone like Jeb would have come through in the end.

Between Cruz and Trump, IMO, Trump would be far worse as president. He's deliberately pretty much started a race war and is threatening riots if he doesn't get the nomination. For months, he's shown us who he is and told us what he'll do. There's really no need to try guess what kind of president Trump will be, he's spelled it out in many, mostly monosyllabic, tweets and bleats.

This is not a conclusion I'm happy with but Trump winning the Republican nomination would mean Trump being one campaign away from the presidency. That dog won't hunt.
Never rely on the American electorate to do the right thing.
Old Mar 17th 2016, 12:04 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Interesting question. I'm not so sure Cruz would have won if Trump had never entered the race. I think the establishment vote would have been much stronger maybe even to the point that someone like Jeb would have come through in the end.

Never rely on the American electorate to do the right thing.
Cruz and Trump have split the disrupters vote. It's not an even split, obviously. If Trump hadn't run, many of his voters would have either stayed home or supported Cruz.
Old Mar 17th 2016, 12:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Still feeling the Bern.
Old Mar 17th 2016, 12:08 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by Boiler
Still feeling the Bern.
Old Mar 17th 2016, 12:12 pm
Account Closed

Old Mar 17th 2016, 12:19 pm
WTF?

What am I supposed to do with that?
Old Mar 17th 2016, 1:13 pm
Account Closed

What am I supposed to do with that?
Hmmmm
Old Mar 17th 2016, 1:24 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by Boiler
Hmmmm
Bernie is on Rachel Maddow doing an extended interview.
Old Mar 17th 2016, 1:28 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Then you don't want to click on this link. Nope, no way, you just don't. It should remain blue at all costs.

Obviously, NSFW/NSFL. You've been warned.
I like living on the edge, I looked. It's now burned into my retinas. Who'd draw that? Why?
Old Mar 17th 2016, 1:33 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I like living on the edge, I looked. It's now burned into my retinas. Who'd draw that? Why?
And WHY the shaved pubes???!!?

Last edited by Leslie; Mar 17th 2016 at 1:36 pm. Reason: woops :D
Old Mar 17th 2016, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

FlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond repute

Bernie is on Rachel Maddow doing an extended interview.
I haven't been watching, but is she trying to show him he should drop out and support Hillary? If so, is he as stubborn as Kasich about staying in until the convention? He has the funds to do that.

Personally, I'm at a loss, as my guy is out of the running and I don't feel the Bern for either Trump or Cruz. Like Leslie, I guess I have to figure Cruz is the lesser of the two evils. Although the polls show he and Hillary are in a tight race, I think his appeal is too narrow and she wins in the end.

Strategically, I like Trump's chances in the general, but his nomination will likely lead to the dissolution of the Republican Party. Most on this thread would be thrilled at the prospect, but it won't be good for the country. We really need 007 to make it look like an accident.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.