Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

URGENT HELP NEEDED RE THAILAND PROPERTY

URGENT HELP NEEDED RE THAILAND PROPERTY

Old Aug 4th 2009, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

Lazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to all
Default URGENT HELP NEEDED RE THAILAND PROPERTY

Hi I normally post in the USA forum but I have a slightly unusual question re Thai property which has arisen thorugh my work. I thought someone here may help point me in the right direction. I am dealing with the administration of the estate of a deceased person at the moment. I have paperwork (in Thai) which I have had to have transalated into English. It would seem that the deceased who lived in Scotland purchased a property in Thailand. I have had a look around the forum but not in any detail (too busy workwise). I understand that a British Citizan may not be able to actually own property in Thailand but itmay need to be done in the form of a company or the like. Anyway, I really need to do a bit more digging around to find out what the situation is with this propertyor what has happened to it. The deceased did not haver direct family and did not discuss his life in Thailand with his UK friends. Can anyone recommend a Thai lawyer who is English speaking, who I can send the documents I have to? I would like their view on what has taken place. Word of mouth I think is always best, so if you could help me, that would be great. Strange request I know but you guys will know better than me. I just want to do a good job for this client, who I really liked. Thanks!
Old Aug 5th 2009, 8:47 am
Banned

DumbFalang is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: URGENT HELP NEEDED RE THAILAND PROPERTY

Hi,

I know a Scottish guy that does this sort of work in Thailand. You would get much more sense out of him that you would from a Thai solicitor Let me know if you want his contact details.

Another good reference for you is the forum at thaivisa.com
Old Aug 6th 2009, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

Lazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to all

Yes, if you could PM me his details that wold be great. Thanks very much!
Old Aug 8th 2009, 10:00 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

also recommend thaivisa. I know someone who owned a property in thailand. A foreigner can own a property in their name legally but they cannot own the land it is on. It doesnt have to be owned in a company name.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 11:14 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Try Greg at sunbeltasia. He can be contacted through his website or ThaiVisa. He is an American and is in the know about this sort of thing.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 6:18 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lazzza
Hi I normally post in the USA forum but I have a slightly unusual question re Thai property which has arisen thorugh my work. I thought someone here may help point me in the right direction. I am dealing with the administration of the estate of a deceased person at the moment. I have paperwork (in Thai) which I have had to have transalated into English. It would seem that the deceased who lived in Scotland purchased a property in Thailand. I have had a look around the forum but not in any detail (too busy workwise). I understand that a British Citizan may not be able to actually own property in Thailand but itmay need to be done in the form of a company or the like. Anyway, I really need to do a bit more digging around to find out what the situation is with this propertyor what has happened to it. The deceased did not haver direct family and did not discuss his life in Thailand with his UK friends. Can anyone recommend a Thai lawyer who is English speaking, who I can send the documents I have to? I would like their view on what has taken place. Word of mouth I think is always best, so if you could help me, that would be great. Strange request I know but you guys will know better than me. I just want to do a good job for this client, who I really liked. Thanks!
You might want to try William F. (Bill) White, an American immigration attorney who practices in Bangkok. He can handle Thai real estate issues as well, we used him last year to handle my wife's purchase of a house in Chiangmai. His office is in with a group of Thai lawyers who he calls on as appropriate to the needs of the case.

140/36 Silom Road
ITF Tower, 17th Floor
Bangrak, Bangkok 10500
Thailand

Tel. (66) 2-231-6466
Fax. (66) 2-231-6204

[email protected]
Old Aug 18th 2009, 12:36 am
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

I will ask my BIL about the property ownership thing. He owns a home in Phuket and he is a British subject.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

Chris351 is an unknown quantity at this point

An excellent land lawyer for translating is
K Su ( she Thai, smart and fluent ) at Boat Lagoon, east side of Rte 402 vicinity British Curic.Intrn'l School, Phuket

089 873 3883. Her prices aren't cheap but not outrageous. Fair
Old Jul 13th 2010, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

David Mayes is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the land would need to already be in the possession a company to pass onto a foreigner, the shares would be what transferred. If the deceased was a Thai then I think it would difficult to transfer into a foreign owned company. The local land office won't register it in a foreigner's name. It would be easy for a Thai relative to lay claim regardless of the wishes of the deceased. I am not a lawyer but this is my understanding of the way things usually work here