Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Is Thailand The Place For Us??

Is Thailand The Place For Us??

Old Oct 5th 2007, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

Location: San Fernando, La Union, Illocos Sur, Luzon, Philippines
slowsmile is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is Thailand The Place For Us??

Originally Posted by annabella
Whatever your opinions are of Phuketti's posts, she writes of her experience as a single woman from what I understand. From my own experience I can assure you all that a woman alone is treated very derogatively, to put it very mildly, by the male Thai than when she is accompanied by a man.
I agree, that's why I don't live in Thailand. But I think there are other big issues with Phucketti. Phucketti seems to have plenty of money but she hates Thailand with a vengeance. So why is she living there ?

That's what I can't understand.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

John Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slowsmile
I agree, that's why I don't live in Thailand. But I think there are other big issues with Phucketti. Phucketti seems to have plenty of money but she hates Thailand with a vengeance. So why is she living there ?

That's what I can't understand.
Maybe she should try Tibet
The monks are nice.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 2:48 pm
Banned

Dago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to behold

Whatever your opinions are of Phuketti's posts, she writes of her experience as a single woman from what I understand. From my own experience I can assure you all that a woman alone is treated very derogatively, to put it very mildly, by the male Thai than when she is accompanied by a man.
I think that you are right too but this state of affairs is not just confined to Thai men. Even UK has its share of this sort of blx. I fear she is reacting but that is no reason to despise her which I think some are doing.

I also agree with the craphat - Kuwait is for me. It is a nice place.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 2:54 pm
Banned

Dago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tortuga
Asia also has similar issues to those you have mentioned but one of the main issues for me is the fact that no matter how long you have lived in Asia (9 years for me) you are always viewed as a ‘foreigner’. What I’m trying to say is I would have considered it easier to settle or integrate in Spain or Europe than in Asia?
I think that integrating into Spain is a bit different beause in Thailand you will always be outnumbered and in Spain the sheer weight of numbers of British Ex Pats can overwhelm the Spanish communty and irrespective of how nice the individuals are they are viewed as the worst - same as 'we' do in the UK with East European immigrants. But you are right in the physical sense it is easier to integrate in Europe because all countries have the same systems - or at least there are few surprises. I expect for Asia it is all surprises.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 5:06 pm
Account Closed

annabella is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dago
I think that integrating into Spain is a bit different beause in Thailand you will always be outnumbered and in Spain the sheer weight of numbers of British Ex Pats can overwhelm the Spanish communty and irrespective of how nice the individuals are they are viewed as the worst - same as 'we' do in the UK with East European immigrants. But you are right in the physical sense it is easier to integrate in Europe because all countries have the same systems - or at least there are few surprises. I expect for Asia it is all surprises.
Wherever one goes in the world to settle there are always trade-offs. Nowhere is perfect. If it were we'd all be living there.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 5:32 pm
Banned

Wherever one goes in the world to settle there are always trade-offs. Nowhere is perfect. If it were we'd all be living there.
Whilst I work in Kuwait - which is a lovely place, my home is in The Gambia - it really is perfect -but tell no-one!!
Old Oct 7th 2007, 12:10 am
Account Closed

annabella is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dago
Whilst I work in Kuwait - which is a lovely place, my home is in The Gambia - it really is perfect -but tell no-one!!
Had a Brit. girlfriend built a house in The Gambia and moved there. We all wondered why. Now we know.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 7:16 am
Just Joined

jackycarroll is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear me, that poor OP seems to have disappeared, perhaps taking note of the fray that ensued when a lady gave her less than happy experience of Thailand and it's people, and wondering perhaps whether Kabul might be the place for them after all.

Of course generalisations are made of every country and race, but the lady did point out, rather sharply, what were observations from her own personal experience, which are shared by a lot of other expats, men and women alike, in Thailand.

It should also be pointed out that the most angry responses to her post came from men. A trait shared by those on Thaivisa.com. I do wonder why that is
Old Oct 29th 2007, 8:10 am
Account Closed

katongkaren is an unknown quantity at this point

Gosh, are we back on this thread again
Old Oct 29th 2007, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

John Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katongkaren
Gosh, are we back on this thread again
Yea, I thought it was dead and buried.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 4:11 am
Banned

Rockly1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Thai people the WORST

Hello!
I have been meaning to respond to your article for awhile.
I lived in Pattaya for 1 year and in a village near Korat for 3 years .

I agree with ALL you said and could write a book about these people!

Bye.

Last edited by Rete; Dec 28th 2007 at 9:43 am. Reason: copyright infringement
Old Dec 27th 2007, 9:39 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

What to say...you bandy about terms like rice monkey then object to the term farang.

Move already if it doesn't suit you.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 9:56 am
Banned

Foget it ..what you see is NOT what you get...See Thais the worst people article from a lady and a response from me.
Originally Posted by mitzipurr
Hi to everybody

I am new to the Far East section of the forum but maybe somebody out there can help??

We have visited Thailand for the last 2 years a month each time and we thought it a wonderful place and the people so nice.

We have lived in Spain over 10 years BUT are beginning to tire of the attitude and lifestyle.

We wondered if Thailand was the place to be for the rest of our days as we are both retired??

Also any advice on long term renting versus buying would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Old Dec 27th 2007, 10:02 am
Banned

Oh I now see you are one of those float arounds trying to Teach and spend your time pubbing and surfing.........get a life!

And it states you are in Kiwi Land... not Thailand.

Or maybe you are back for some horizontal exercise!

The amount of messages you post clearly means you are rather bored and probably boreing too!

Next time the Bar Girl says Welcome Darling .. you might like to know Dar Ling means MONKEY ARSE in Issan language.

lol
Old Dec 27th 2007, 10:07 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Mate, I lived in Thailand for five years. I'm well aware of the shortcomings and frustrations of living there.

It appears to me you are quite bitter about the place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.