Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Is Thailand The Place For Us??

Is Thailand The Place For Us??

Old Nov 11th 2006, 6:32 am
BE Enthusiast

mitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to behold
Wink Is Thailand The Place For Us??

Hi to everybody

I am new to the Far East section of the forum but maybe somebody out there can help??

We have visited Thailand for the last 2 years a month each time and we thought it a wonderful place and the people so nice.

We have lived in Spain over 10 years BUT are beginning to tire of the attitude and lifestyle.

We wondered if Thailand was the place to be for the rest of our days as we are both retired??

Also any advice on long term renting versus buying would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Old Nov 11th 2006, 10:28 pm
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Thailand The Place For Us??

Originally Posted by mitzipurr
Hi to everybody

I am new to the Far East section of the forum but maybe somebody out there can help??

We have visited Thailand for the last 2 years a month each time and we thought it a wonderful place and the people so nice.

We have lived in Spain over 10 years BUT are beginning to tire of the attitude and lifestyle.

We wondered if Thailand was the place to be for the rest of our days as we are both retired??

Thanks in advance

Thailand is a fantastic country. If you are retired then you should be able to get a retirement visa. Where are you thinking of living? Chiang Mai, Bangkok or where? I lived there for nearly 5 years. Though i am 32 and not retired. Try looking at another site called thaivisa.com You should find better info there. Cheers. JS
Old Nov 12th 2006, 12:13 am
massage therapy London

londonthai has a brilliant futurelondonthai has a brilliant futurelondonthai has a brilliant futurelondonthai has a brilliant futurelondonthai has a brilliant futurelondonthai has a brilliant futurelondonthai has a brilliant future
Default traditional thai teak wood house in Bangkok Thailand rent homestay home stays Taling

despite the latest thai visa restrictions you should not have problems getting a retirement visa (age 50+ and they need to see your savings statement or proof of your pension).

the foreigner can't own a land in thailand unless you run a business - however you can lease an appartment or even a house for 30 years.

Unfortunately the property price in thailand is at the moment inflated (especially in the upscale market, targeted to foreigners). Personally I would wait for sometimes for the market to cool down - as less and less foreigners will be buying property due to visa restrictions and many of those who have already bought houses will be trying to sell them even below their market value, just to get money back and invest somewhere else.

Before you settle down and buy a house or an appartment it's worth to rent that accommodation for a some period and see whether you like the place - be sure that, with falling price, you will lose if you decided to sell it fast.

Rental charges in Bangkok are enourmous - from 10k baht/month for the detached 3 bedroom house on the Thoonburi side of the Chao Phraya river - to 70 - 80k baht for a 3 bedroom appartment in the town centre, with all mod-cons, security, swimming pool etc.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 6:58 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

All depends on the area you live. Sukhumvit is very expensive. Lad Prao where i used to live is cheaper. You just gotta shop/look around. BTW you can buy a condo but not a house!
Old Nov 16th 2006, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

mitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jockstar
Thailand is a fantastic country. If you are retired then you should be able to get a retirement visa. Where are you thinking of living? Chiang Mai, Bangkok or where? I lived there for nearly 5 years. Though i am 32 and not retired. Try looking at another site called thaivisa.com You should find better info there. Cheers. JS

Apologies for delay...

We visited Chiang Mai in October and loved the clean air, Bangkok was only visited on our last day before flying home although we have been before, it is a great buzzing city but the air not so good...

Thanks for info about Visa, we are now looking to go for 2 months instead of one and see how we feel.

Old Nov 16th 2006, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: traditional thai teak wood house in Bangkok Thailand rent homestay home stays Taling

Originally Posted by londonthai
despite the latest thai visa restrictions you should not have problems getting a retirement visa (age 50+ and they need to see your savings statement or proof of your pension).

the foreigner can't own a land in thailand unless you run a business - however you can lease an appartment or even a house for 30 years.

Unfortunately the property price in thailand is at the moment inflated (especially in the upscale market, targeted to foreigners). Personally I would wait for sometimes for the market to cool down - as less and less foreigners will be buying property due to visa restrictions and many of those who have already bought houses will be trying to sell them even below their market value, just to get money back and invest somewhere else.

Before you settle down and buy a house or an appartment it's worth to rent that accommodation for a some period and see whether you like the place - be sure that, with falling price, you will lose if you decided to sell it fast.

Rental charges in Bangkok are enourmous - from 10k baht/month for the detached 3 bedroom house on the Thoonburi side of the Chao Phraya river - to 70 - 80k baht for a 3 bedroom appartment in the town centre, with all mod-cons, security, swimming pool etc.

Hi londonthai

Appreciate your input.

If you read my other post just done you can see the area we are interested in.

We think maybe to rent would be fine for us especially if you can get such a long term are there any things you should watch out for? Expect you need to use a Lawyer also....

The places you mention we have visited whilst on holiday.

What does one do with their time when retired in Thailand???
Old Nov 16th 2006, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jockstar
All depends on the area you live. Sukhumvit is very expensive. Lad Prao where i used to live is cheaper. You just gotta shop/look around. BTW you can buy a condo but not a house!

Hi Jockstar

Thanks for your response much appreciated. Dont think we would buy and really prefer renting long term and must be a great house with swimming pool!!
Old Nov 20th 2006, 8:43 am
Freedom!

Hi Jockstar

Thanks for your response much appreciated. Dont think we would buy and really prefer renting long term and must be a great house with swimming pool!!

Renting is not like what we are used to. No estate agents on every corner. Some of the Thais trying to rent their house put a sign ouside in Thai saying its for rent. The sooner you meet Thais the better. Best to stay in a condo with pool to start with and take it from there.. As the Thais say. Jai yen yen.(calm down, take it easy)
Old Nov 24th 2006, 3:46 am
Forum Regular

Tortuga is just really niceTortuga is just really niceTortuga is just really niceTortuga is just really niceTortuga is just really niceTortuga is just really niceTortuga is just really niceTortuga is just really niceTortuga is just really nice

Hi to everybody

Thanks in advance
I’m just curious…. What part of the attitude and lifestyle in Spain tires you?
Old Nov 28th 2006, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Tortuga

Well where do I begin about Spain??

I think the main thing is that each time we return from Thailand we are very unsettled for the following reasons:-

1. The Spanish want your money but dont appreciate it.

2. Every time you have a maintenance problem in the house they always bump up the price because you are foreign - even though your Spanish is good.

3. Whilst there are some lovely Spanish especially in the road where I live most of the people do not like you and see you as someone who puts up all the prices and especially the house prices which make owning a property very difficult for the young Spanish couples.

4. In Spain the standard excuse for dissatisfaction is always they dont understand you, or we dont speak English or manana which never comes....

There's lots more but hope you will reply to this and maybe the points above lets you know why Thailand beckons ??
Old Nov 28th 2006, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

Tortuga is just really niceTortuga is just really niceTortuga is just really niceTortuga is just really niceTortuga is just really niceTortuga is just really niceTortuga is just really niceTortuga is just really niceTortuga is just really nice

Hi Tortuga

Well where do I begin about Spain??

I think the main thing is that each time we return from Thailand we are very unsettled for the following reasons:-

1. The Spanish want your money but dont appreciate it.

2. Every time you have a maintenance problem in the house they always bump up the price because you are foreign - even though your Spanish is good.

3. Whilst there are some lovely Spanish especially in the road where I live most of the people do not like you and see you as someone who puts up all the prices and especially the house prices which make owning a property very difficult for the young Spanish couples.

4. In Spain the standard excuse for dissatisfaction is always they dont understand you, or we dont speak English or manana which never comes....

There's lots more but hope you will reply to this and maybe the points above lets you know why Thailand beckons ??
Asia also has similar issues to those you have mentioned but one of the main issues for me is the fact that no matter how long you have lived in Asia (9 years for me) you are always viewed as a ‘foreigner’. What I’m trying to say is I would have considered it easier to settle or integrate in Spain or Europe than in Asia?
Old Nov 29th 2006, 10:14 am
Freedom!

In Thailand you will always be a farang. Double pricing for some things. You have to get used to. Learn the language and things get a bit easier.Good luck.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi

Cant say I really noticed any of the things I mentioned about Spain in Thailand.

I also think the cost of living in Thailand much cheaper and many speak English.

The biggest worry about Thailand is that it is so far away from UK where elderly parents reside...
Old Jan 1st 2007, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

JoanMC is a jewel in the roughJoanMC is a jewel in the roughJoanMC is a jewel in the roughJoanMC is a jewel in the roughJoanMC is a jewel in the rough

Sorry I am very late on this and perhaps you are no longer interested in postings on subject matter....My family and I feel a certain ambience in SE Asia that we through all of our visits have never felt in Spain,,I think it is the arrogance of "some" of the Spanish that can be a put off,,also as someone mentioned, the house prices have soared due to the massive influx of foreigners...If one lives in Spain it is no longer the bargain that made it so attractive; the intro' of the Euro seemed to be the catalyst for rapid increases...Historically the Brit's are not their favourite people..Portuguese yes..Our (Brit's oldest friends) ..Provided with the choice, I would take the personna/attitude of the Thai, or other SE Asian anytime over the Spanish..
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 8:42 pm
MONA LISA

coultrm will become famous soon enough

May I surrgest Malaysia, we are going to retire in Spain but only chose it over Penang in Malaysia as I still have my elderly mother in the UK and need to fly back if needed quickly.
Apartments are stunning and reasonably priced for UK citizens, the facilities are wonderful. Penang has it all - I would rate it over Thailand every time.

All the best.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.