Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Thai citizenship by descent

Thai citizenship by descent

Old Aug 19th 2010, 3:23 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Thai citizenship by descent

I am a foreigner and I have two children that are Thai. They were both born in Thailand and their mother is Thai. I know that if a baby is born to a Thai outside of Thailand then the mother can pass on her Thai nationality anywhere in the world. I'm just wondering for the future what will happen with my boys. Are the rules for males the same in that they can automatically pass on nationality if the mother is not Thai ? I'm interested to know because my boys have my surname ( not sure why this would make a difference) and if they married a non-Thai and then had children and were able to pass on Thai nationality, this child would only be a quarter Thai but still have Thai nationality , have a Thai ID card, be able to vote, but land etc etc. Just curious really. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of this ? I think it would be quite funny if they could, as it would mean that what would pretty much be a ferrang ( quarter Thai ) would have Thai nationality. I'm sure the Thai government would love that !
Old Sep 21st 2010, 9:53 am
Just Joined

buspilot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Thai citizenship by descent

You have to go to the embassy to register your children's births and have them recognized as citizens born abroad.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 3:05 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't you read my original post. It was about Thai citizenship by descent, nothing to do with registering births at the British embassy. As I stated my children are Thai so how anything to do with the British embassy would affect them regarding Thai law I don't know.

What I presume you are referring to is obtaining British nationality when actually ( having been through this at the embassy) it is not a requirement for obtaining a UK passport. The only advantage to registering the birth is that later on the child can then apply for a UK birth certificate in the UK which is not really necessary when a translated and certified Thai one will suffice.

On their UK passports it will state their place of birth so it will be pretty obvious that they are born abroad.

Since I made this post I have found the answers to my own question and it turns out that the law varies quite a lot from country to country. Regarding Thai law it wouldn't matter where my childrens' children were born if it was to a non-Thai. Thai nationality would be passed on regardless of sex of the Thai parent. For Thai nationality one parent has to be Thai and that is it, anywhere in the world.

UK law is a bit different. If my sons married a Thai and had children in Thailand then the baby would have to be born in the UK to automatically have UK citizenship. Citizenship can only be passed on one generation outside of the UK. Of course if they married and had children with a born in the UK national it wouldn't matter where in the world the baby was born as one of the parents would have been born in the UK and they could then pass on nationality be descent.

So , I've answered my own post. On a final note ,both countries fully allow dual nationality so it is no problem to have two passports even in adulthood.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 4:40 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

Well done in answering your own post. This is now declared a rhetorical thread.