Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Sick family member living in Thailand

Sick family member living in Thailand

Old Oct 28th 2018, 9:18 am
Just Joined

Helpingafriend2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sick family member living in Thailand

Hi - my friend is currently in Thailand trying to get her father home to the UK, who lives in Phayakkhaphum phisai.
His mental health has deteriorated significantly over the last couple of months, she has full access to his medical records but has no idea how to assess what's going on.
looking for an English speaking Dr over there who may be able to take a look at his records and give some advice.
He's on a lot of medication so I wonder if it's a combination of that, or his family are thinking dementia.
Thank you for reading this
Old Oct 28th 2018, 9:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sick family member living in Thailand

Sorry to hear about this. It would be easier if your friend posted directly here rather than go through you as an intermediary.
Old Oct 28th 2018, 9:46 am
Just Joined

It definitely would, but I am trying to take some of the pressure off of her, obviously once I find someone who may be able to help they will have direct contact but right now she is struggling.
Old Oct 28th 2018, 10:54 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helpingafriend2
Hi - my friend is currently in Thailand trying to get her father home to the UK, who lives in Phayakkhaphum phisai.
His mental health has deteriorated significantly over the last couple of months, she has full access to his medical records but has no idea how to assess what's going on.
looking for an English speaking Dr over there who may be able to take a look at his records and give some advice.
He's on a lot of medication so I wonder if it's a combination of that, or his family are thinking dementia.
Thank you for reading this
It's nice of you to try to help your friend. This is a list of English speaking medical facilities in Thailand but I don't know if any of them are anywhere near your friend's dad's location
https://assets.publishing.service.go...h_2016__1_.pdf
I'd advise your friend to ring the UK embassy in Thailand to see if they can help - details of how to contact the embassy below
https://www.gov.uk/world/organisatio...mbassy-bangkok

Best of luck.
Old Oct 28th 2018, 11:03 am
Just Joined

Thank you I'll forward her the link. She's in touch with the embassy and various organisations in an attempt to repatriate him, the costs are huge and sadly in his mental state he's cancelled all insurances.
Thank you for your help x
Old Oct 28th 2018, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helpingafriend2
Thank you I'll forward her the link. She's in touch with the embassy and various organisations in an attempt to repatriate him, the costs are huge and sadly in his mental state he's cancelled all insurances.
Thank you for your help x
While the Brit. Embassy in Thailand isn't known to be too helpful, they should be able to advise how to repatriate the person. They have consular staff dealing with such issues. Thai doctors in general speak English. However, it will be difficult to make contact over the phone. It may be best if your friend travels there and brings her father home. Flights to and from Thailand and within Thailand are not expensive unless you need a medevac flight.
Old Oct 28th 2018, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

She's there with him. He needs a medivac unfortunately. She's been in contact with the embassy leading up to her flight due to legalities as it's all happened so fast.
Old Oct 29th 2018, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear that your friend's father is in such a poor state. I couldn't quite work out where in Thailand he is ( guess it is N.E.?). Should she have a break if the trip in Bangkok, she could ask the embassy staff to put her in touch with a member of Brit. Women's Group. There are ladies who volunteer to give support to family members in such a case.
All the best for your friend.
Old Oct 29th 2018, 8:02 am
Just Joined

That's really helpful as they are travelling there for a hospital appointment. Thank you