Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

6 month requirement on passport for entry/holiday visa?

6 month requirement on passport for entry/holiday visa?

Old Nov 21st 2018, 1:56 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default 6 month requirement on passport for entry/holiday visa?

I am calling on the expertise and experience of people on this board:

I am due to come to Thailand with my wife for a 10 day holiday from 2nd December to 12th December. My passport expires 2020, but my wife's expires in just over 5 months. She is Portugese, I am British.

I am hearing mixed messages that you have to have 6 months minimum left on your passport in order to be granted a visa. Other threads say that this is not the case and, as long as your passport covers the period you are in Thailand and you have a return ticket (which we do), you are OK.

Can somebody please help clarify the reality of the situation?

Thank you in advance
Old Nov 21st 2018, 10:23 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 month requirement on passport for entry/holiday visa?

British and Portuguese passport holders do not require a visa for visits of up to 30 days.

The rule is at least six months validity from your date of arrival but the immigration officer can grant an exemption so long as the passport is valid for the duration of your stay.
Old Nov 25th 2018, 2:34 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
I am calling on the expertise and experience of people on this board:

I am due to come to Thailand with my wife for a 10 day holiday from 2nd December to 12th December. My passport expires 2020, but my wife's expires in just over 5 months. She is Portugese, I am British.

I am hearing mixed messages that you have to have 6 months minimum left on your passport in order to be granted a visa. Other threads say that this is not the case and, as long as your passport covers the period you are in Thailand and you have a return ticket (which we do), you are OK.

Can somebody please help clarify the reality of the situation?

Thank you in advance
you're both visa exempt, and given 30 days so no need for a visa, so it's at the discretion of the IO. A long as you can show funds to support yourselves and a return ticket you'll probably be fine.
Old Nov 27th 2018, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

"you'll probably be fine".
Rely on "probably"?
I'd rather rely on info from Royal Thai Consulate or Embassy.
Old Nov 27th 2018, 4:11 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016
"you'll probably be fine".
Rely on "probably"?
I'd rather rely on info from Royal Thai Consulate or Embassy.
Who will tell you it’s at the discretion of the immigration officer. No-one, including the Embassy, can give the OP any guarantees.