Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

RETIREMENT IN PHUKET - ANY HELP?

RETIREMENT IN PHUKET - ANY HELP?

Old Oct 3rd 2007, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

Scottiew is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: RETIREMENT IN PHUKET - ANY HELP?

Hi just browsing through the the discussion forums and noticed this topic, Phuket is probably the best place, having been lucky enough to have my parents living in Phuket, I did alot of travelling around Thailand and neighbouring countries, and Phuket is the nicest, some one else said that alot of expats are living in the south of the island that is correct, they are Nai Harn, Rawai, Chalong, alot of australians in Chalong, the west coast is more designed for the tourist package holiday, but as you have been you have probably noticed, things do change in 10 years, alot of things have changed in the last 6 years mostly road widening schemes holiday complexes, but the biggest change is some expat will open a bar by the following year it will be some one else or closed down lol, I was there when the tsunmai happened, so there has been alot of change in these areas obviously, the next thing it is starting to get popular as they are thinking on bringing a new type of visa that will come with the property which will let you stay a whole year with out renewing it and believe this trail was going to be held in Koh Samui, so buy your property now, otherwise if this new one takes off hosue properties are going to go up and up and up, if you are going to Phuket to have a look for property there is quite a few expats running realstate offices in nai harn, rawai, chalong.

anyway I hope it works out and you have a fantastic time cheers
Old Nov 10th 2007, 1:30 am
Account Closed

katongkaren is an unknown quantity at this point

" they are thinking on bringing a new type of visa that will come with the property which will let you stay a whole year with out renewing it "

Scottiew - do enlighten us - never heard of this one.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

John Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katongkaren
" they are thinking on bringing a new type of visa that will come with the property which will let you stay a whole year with out renewing it "

Scottiew - do enlighten us - never heard of this one.
Just back from a week in flooded Samui,and also would be glad of enlightenment on this "new" visa option.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 3:03 am
Just Joined

penkoprod is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ANDREAS1954
Hi to everybody:

We have visited Thailand 4 times for the last 10 years about 15 days each time and we thought it a wonderful place and the people so nice.

We have lived in Athens,Greece over 15 years but are beginning to tire of the attitude the lifestyle and the high prices.

We wondered if Thailand was the place to be for when retired (this is about 10 years from now)

We think to buy a house in Phuket, to use it as an investment for now and then to use it us our retirement home.
We have been in Phuket once, only for 10 days, so any advice about how life is there for expats would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
I, too have a long history of holidaying in Thailand, going back some 20 years, or more and, i too was considering retiring to Thailand in the very near future.
Having spent the past few months researching, i have come to the conclusion that i shouldnt consider Thailand as a retirement place at all !!!!!
There is no actual retirement program in place........only a visa you have to apply for in order to stay for a MAXIMUM of a year at a time.
This visa is subject to ever increasing financial requirements, currently at 800,000 TBH per year, and so many hoops to jump through, just to prove your income. You also have to report to Thai immigration every 3 months.
I am looking at visiting Thailand every so often on a 3 month tourist visa, with NO proof of income needed, but basing myself in another country in the region that is more accommodating to retirees
I certainly wouldnt BUY a place in Thailand, whether for investment (renting out) or to live in, and would recommend people NOT TO also. Too many people i know who have bought property there and are finding themselves in danger of not meeting the above financial requirements as time goes by. So.............out of Thailand they must go, leaving behind a place that they hope they can rent out.......adding to the glut of properties for rent/sale.
In short, if you want to live by the seat of your pants, then, sure, go over there when you retire. If, however you want stability in your life, then i would advise looking elsewhere for a retirement place to live.

Penkoprod
Old Nov 24th 2007, 7:33 am
Account Closed

katongkaren is an unknown quantity at this point

And which accommodating country may that be? Is that the one considering Sharia law or the one with the typhoons? Nowhere is perfect I'm afraid.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

John Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katongkaren
And which accommodating country may that be? Is that the one considering Sharia law or the one with the typhoons? Nowhere is perfect I'm afraid.
Hear bloody hear!