Reload this Page >

Moving to Samui-Visa Queries

Moving to Samui-Visa Queries

Old Sep 3rd 2011, 9:24 am
Just Joined

kenny.morgan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Samui-Visa Queries

Hi

My family and I are looking to relocate to Koh Samui from the UK next summer and I have some queries regarding visas.

From what I gather we can obtain a one year multiple entry visa which lasts 90 days.

My queries are:
1. I work offshore in Malaysia working 28 day on/off rotation. Will this visa suffice for my situation?

2. Will my wife and two children have to do a visa run every 90 days and if so where is the nearest border and how long will this journey take?

Hope someone out there can help!

Many Thanks
Old Sep 5th 2011, 6:21 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Samui-Visa Queries

The one year visa will be fine for you. Everytime you enter Thailand you will get 90 days. Your wife and kids "should ' be able to extend the ninety days for a further 60 days at the local immigration in Samui for 1900 baht. Nearest border crossing is Burma. Get a minibus from Surathani to Ranong ( 3 hours ), then get a longtail boat across to Burma. Costs 10$ to go to Burma. Then come back and start the next 90 day entry.

Probably have to stay overnight in Ranong. Nice town.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 7:46 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

I say should be able to extend but if you aren't married to a Thai you probably wont be able to. However , Samui is a tourist place so they might be friendly about it. I seem to remember that immigration was in Nathon where the port is. I haven't been to Samui in years but I lived in Koh Phangan for a long time so I used to make the odd visit for a bit of civilisation sometimes.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 10:47 am
Just Joined

kenny.morgan is an unknown quantity at this point

I am married to an English woman but I will take your advice and try anyway.
One more question! How long is the boat journey to Burma?

Thanks nonthaburi, your advice has been of great help, much appreciated.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by kenny.morgan
I am married to an English woman but I will take your advice and try anyway.
One more question! How long is the boat journey to Burma?

Thanks nonthaburi, your advice has been of great help, much appreciated.
it takes about twenty minutes in a longtail boat to get across. You can either go with a boat with the Burmese for fifty baht which can mean hanging around waiting for the boat to fill up ; not good in the heat with no umbrella. Or you can charter a longtail for about 3-400 to take you there and back as long as you aren't spending too long in Burma.

Another thing is that if you are in a boat with all the Burmese you have to hang around while they do their passport stuff at these funny little huts on the water. It is probably the strangest border I know for the way it is set up.

The town on the other side is called Kawtaung or the old British name Victoria Point. Anyway there isn't much to do there really apart from have a look round a market. All I used to do was buy some cheap fags and a bottle of gin |( you are allowed one bottle and one carton )and go and have a few draught beers on the waterfront. Very good beer the Myanmar Beer on tap.

It's been a while since I've been but I can't imagine why it would have changed too much except that my prices are a bit out of date maybe.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 4:52 am

Forgot to say that the kids in Burma can be a bit of a pest tyrying to get you to go shopping with you or just after some money so you end up having to be quite rude if you cathc my drift.

Don't worry about finding a boat to charter. As soon as you are near the pier they will find you !