Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

MEDICAL INSURANCE AFTER 65

MEDICAL INSURANCE AFTER 65

Old Sep 20th 2011, 5:40 am
Just Joined

R and R is an unknown quantity at this point
Default MEDICAL INSURANCE AFTER 65

I am teaching at a school here and my Medical Insurance has been stop because I’m over 65 I have had various quotes and being a poor teacher they have all come out at Thousands of dollars for the over 66 pensioner
Dose any one know of a good reasonable Medical insurance that i can use while I’m living in Thailand.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 7:59 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MEDICAL INSURANCE AFTER 65

Hi and welcome to BE My answer probably won't be much help to you, but I'll give it anyway, and maybe Nonthaburi will be along to give you a more positive answer.

My answer is No I don't know of one. Me and Mr bakedbean used to live in Thailand and took out medical insurance first year we were there. On first renewal (year 2) Mr bb's premium just soared so he said Forget it, and I decided to shove mine as well. We just figured that medical expense is far cheaper in Thailand than you'd get in the UK and better to just keep a pot of rainy day money aside for anything medical and just pay out. It also focuses you to try and keep more-or-less healthy. A good incentive.

Also, if you read the small print of the medical insurance policies, you don't get covered for everything anyway. There's always some maximum amount you can claim per year, and per lifetime, and per hospital stay, and per this, and per that. You cannot win. But that's just my 2 bahts worth.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 2:11 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MEDICAL INSURANCE AFTER 65

I'm not sure about all this but funnily enough I was talking to a guy last Friday about this very thing. He's in his fifties and he pays 1600 baht a month for cover. They cover you up until you are 70 but after that you are on your own. They pay up to 100,000 for hospital treatment ( which might not be that much for anything major depending on the hospital ) and pay you 1000 baht a day for every day spent in hospital. His wife gets 2 million if he dies and he gets 1 million if she dies. This was with AIA. Don't know if this is any good to you and it might be more expensive for you as you're over 60. Shop around and see what's out there.

Good luck !