Reload this Page >

Might be moving to Bangkok in a year

Might be moving to Bangkok in a year

Old Aug 20th 2012, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

brightonmike2012 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Might be moving to Bangkok in a year

Hi all

Bit of an introduction first. I'm 24 and I'm getting married to a Thai girl. We didn't meet in a bar in Phuket or anything like that, we met here in England as she is a mature student studying at a nearby University.

We will be applying for a visa for her to stay here initially, however as her career is very important to her, should she not be able to find the right job within roughly a year, we will look to relocate to Bangkok where job opportunities are better for her. She has already been guaranteed a job by a family member.

I was wondering if anybody had any general advice should this be what we end up doing.

I've seen some jobs that match my career, but the money seems extremely low, only equivalent to £500 a month. Which is only a third of what I get here in England, but perhaps the living costs are only a third?

I'm just looking for general advice and tips really.

- What are career prospects like?
- Must I learn Thai?
- Is there a decent sized community of English speakers I can become a part of?
- How much are cars?
- Do you have to eat Thai food all day? Or can I get spaghetti and meatballs?
- Are the flats/apartments well built or trashy and suspect?

...etc, just the usual silly things I guess.

Even if we stay in England, I will be visiting with her every year. She can sort everything else out but to be honest I'd appreciate a non-Thai opinion on living in Bangkok etc.

Anyway enough of me waffling on, and thanks in advance.

Last edited by brightonmike2012; Aug 20th 2012 at 12:26 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 4:59 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Might be moving to Bangkok in a year

Originally Posted by brightonmike2012
Hi all

Bit of an introduction first. I'm 24 and I'm getting married to a Thai girl. We didn't meet in a bar in Phuket or anything like that, we met here in England as she is a mature student studying at a nearby University.

We will be applying for a visa for her to stay here initially, however as her career is very important to her, should she not be able to find the right job within roughly a year, we will look to relocate to Bangkok where job opportunities are better for her. She has already been guaranteed a job by a family member.

I was wondering if anybody had any general advice should this be what we end up doing.

I've seen some jobs that match my career, but the money seems extremely low, only equivalent to £500 a month. Which is only a third of what I get here in England, but perhaps the living costs are only a third?

Wages are lower - unless you are offering skills that thais don't have then expect thai wages. I knew Thai's that earned quite a lot by local standards (200k and up THB/month) so it's not all bad.

I'm just looking for general advice and tips really.

- What are career prospects like?
Depends on what you do
- Must I learn Thai?
If you are going to work for a western company then no, you don't need it. You would be well advised to learn it though as it will make your life much much easier.
- Is there a decent sized community of English speakers I can become a part of?
There are plenty of expats in bangkok and there are groups that do meet-ups etc, google will help you
- How much are cars?
Imports are very very expensive. I didn't own a car while I was in Bangkok (you really don't need one) and so don't know more than that. I do know you should be very very careful buying a used car because of the flooding last year
- Do you have to eat Thai food all day? Or can I get spaghetti and meatballs?
You can eat what you like. Bangkok is pretty special in that regard as you can find any style of food you like cooked well. Wherever else you live will always be a disappointment after you've been there a while
- Are the flats/apartments well built or trashy and suspect?
It varies - depending on how much your budget is, however £500 is not going to give you luxury. I assume your missus to be is fairly hi-so if she can afford to study abroad so she'll be expecting a maid etc
...etc, just the usual silly things I guess.

Even if we stay in England, I will be visiting with her every year. She can sort everything else out but to be honest I'd appreciate a non-Thai opinion on living in Bangkok etc.
Go live there and see for yourself. It has it's annoyances, but it's a great place to live

Anyway enough of me waffling on, and thanks in advance.
Comments in red.

Last edited by Alan2005; Aug 20th 2012 at 5:02 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 2:43 am
Just Joined

Kate12th is just really niceKate12th is just really niceKate12th is just really niceKate12th is just really niceKate12th is just really niceKate12th is just really niceKate12th is just really niceKate12th is just really nice

You know what...to answer all those questions, i assume you've never been to Thailand right? Why dont you come over for a few weeks and see what's it like Living in Thailand is not that difficult
Old Aug 21st 2012, 1:28 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Thailand since the 90s although I've just left to go to the ME , a lot of that time was spent in or around BKK . I'll try to go through your points one at a time .

1) £ 500 a month isn't a lot ( if you're on your own ) but you said that your GF has been offered a job so with a combination of your 2 salaries you should be okay . You could probably live quite well on double that depending on what you get up to and where you live etc . There are many variables regarding rent and lifestyle.

2) Career prospects obviously depend on what you can do .

3) Generally speaking learning Thai will not be needed for most jobs , however it makes a massive difference in how you deal with living in Thailand . Sign up for a course or as soon as you arrive or even better get an app on your phone so you know a bit beforehand . I take it that your GF has perfect English so she might not be the best teacher or have the patience .

4) Loads of foreigners over here .

5) Cars are expensive and they're expensive 2nd hand too , but they do keep their value well so when it is your turn to sell then it's not so bad . Petrol is a bit cheaper as well . I would worry about a car a bit further down the line as local driving standards can take a bit of getting used to .

6) You can get any food you want , but bear in mind that anything imported will be expensive . If you like smelly cheese it's gonna cost you !

7) Very wide range of appartments from crap to excellent and a wide range of prices depending on location etc . Stay in a hotel for a copule of months and have a look around or with your GF's family for a bit.

BKK is a great place to live but it does have its downside too . Thailand isn't for everyone either . The way things work and the way the people are . But as someone else said , come over for a bit and see if you like it .