Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

This coming winter in Thailand

This coming winter in Thailand

Old Aug 10th 2023, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

sign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond repute
Default This coming winter in Thailand

Two adults both in their fifties, not super rich but can support themselves for six months without working.
We are thinking of leaving the UK at the end of August, dual UK/AUS citizens both travelling on a AUS passport.
We are ready to go,
Aus Dollars and GBP in the bank, but we have both never been to Thailand before.

Wants, cheap safe quiet clean accommodation.

My questions, do we need to get any jabs, do we need health insurance..

Where, which resort would you advise to go to?

Any advice on temporary accommodation on arrival or permanent fully furnished accommodation for a six month stay.

Flying from Manchester, who would you fly with and where to?

Are we mad or is this a good idea? I ask because our recent trip down under did not work out, we are back here in the UK staying in an Air BnB, we cannot get a rental for love or money, all we own is in our ruck sacks.

Just thinking of spending the winter somewhere warm and cheap.

Thanks for any help
Old Aug 10th 2023, 7:32 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This coming winter in Thailand

Before anything else you would need to investigate what your visa options are. Those options depend on your nationality, intended duration of stay, and what you plan to do while in Thailand. Tourist visa's don't allow you to work and are not valid for six months.
Old Aug 11th 2023, 7:34 am
HLJ
Forum Regular

HLJ is an unknown quantity at this point

A tourist visa is 60 days and can be extended for another 30. You can also get a visa-exempt entry (30 days) which can also be extended. If you don't mind taking side trips to neighbouring countries, you can cobble these together to get a 6-month stay, but you will have to do your own research to figure out the best combination for you.

There is no mandatory requirement for vaccination or insurance (unless you are coming from a yellow fever area), but obviously, it's sensible to have both ( https://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/dest...d#Vaccinations )

I fly between Bangkok and Manchester, and I usually travel with Qatar or one of the other ME airlines.

Thailand is cheaper than the UK, but it's not that cheap. You will find cheaper accommodation in the north (avoiding the main tourist areas like Chiang Mai and so on.) If you want to be by the beach, then the islands tend to be expensive, but you might be able to find something more affordable around Chumphon or Trat. It also depends on how you want to live. Basic, local accommodation is often affordable, but if you want UK style accommodation, you will pay a lot more for it. If you need to keep the cost down, maybe consider The Philippines or Malaysia instead.
Old Aug 16th 2023, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

It's sensible to have health insurance.

Living in short-term accommodation in SE Asia should be cheaper than doing so in the UK, but it won't be very cheap if you want a reasonable standard. Because of visa restrictions, you will need at least two different countries, with a reasonable gap between then to avoid the risk of visa issues. Also be wary of a spike in accommodation prices and reduced availability over the Christmas / New Year period. Avoiding the UK winter would be nice (although check out the weather patterns in your planned destinations as it can be wet season in one location when its dry season in another).
Old Oct 8th 2023, 8:01 am
Just Joined

Tbone70 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm pretty much in the same boat ... live in Manchester, toying with being in Thailand Nov 24 to Apr 25. I can't be out of the country for more than 6 months as I have to get back to grab meds. Plus 6 months is plenty long enough for my first trip. I used to work out in BKK on and off (I worked across Asia, visiting head offices, but circled back to a hotel near Asoke as my home point for 3 months, every fortnight) and been travelling there yearly for umpteen years.

I've found a guy renting condos for 6 months, rather than the usual 12 month minimum - so that's sorted.

My thoughts : get a 60 day, I believe I can extend to 90 by visiting the embassy. I then want to scoot over to Vietnam and possibly Hong Kong, maybe Japan in between which would give me a few weeks break, then back to Thailand on a new 60 day, hopefully extendable to 90.

Does that logic seem reasonable?

Thanks - Tony
Old Oct 20th 2023, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

If you take a stockpile of meds with you, keep them in the original packaging, take your prescription(s) and check the customs rules of the location(s) you're visiting - what you can import, any limit on amount, etc. You can probably buy meds locally if necessary by paying a local clinic for a prescription (although a pharmacy may accept your overseas prescription).

I've extended visas in Bangkok (at an immigration office not the embassy). It costs B1,900 (£43) and takes 1/2 day for travel and processing time as many others will be doing the same thing. It used to be (still is?) possible to simply pay an overstay fine at the airport on departure - another well-oiled money making scheme - but renewing in town is a better option.

An alternative is a multi-entry tourist visa which allows you to come and go within a 6-month period, but no visit can exceed 60 days so requires a couple of trips out.

https://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand...201900%20baht.