BKK tailoring ?

Old Dec 7th 2023, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute
Default BKK tailoring ?

I will be in this city in spring '24 and was wondering about getting a suit made, either made-to-measure or bespoke. What are people's experiences in this area, recommendations etc?
TIA
Old Dec 26th 2023, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BKK tailoring ?

Originally Posted by campos
I will be in this city in spring '24 and was wondering about getting a suit made, either made-to-measure or bespoke. What are people's experiences in this area, recommendations etc?
TIA
Hard to give a recommendation without details: how much do you want to spend? How long will you be in Bkk?
Don't expect a good & fitting suit for a low price.
Old Dec 27th 2023, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

Will be there at start and finish of trip, around 3.5 days either end. Looking to spend around €400/THB15k max. Otherwise I can find an off the peg during the summer sales in Italy.
Old Dec 27th 2023, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Will be there at start and finish of trip, around 3.5 days either end. Looking to spend around €400/THB15k max. Otherwise I can find an off the peg during the summer sales in Italy.
You need about 3 fittings. At the end there should be time to do corrections if needed. "Tailor on Ten" ( Sukhumvit Soi 8) may be your best bet. Not a budget tailor, popular with business ppl & you pay acc to material. They have their own workshop, others use sweatshops. Look at their website.
My husband buys ready made when in Europe.
Old Dec 27th 2023, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for tip.
i got a timeline idea from a place called Patrick & co. And another called Galaxy too. Said it's feasible if visit as soon as arrive .
Old Dec 27th 2023, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for tip.
i got a timeline idea from a place called Patrick & co. And another called Galaxy too. Said it's feasible if visit as soon as arrive .
Patrick is a well known name. Not for quality & fit.
Galaxy I've never heard off.
None of these tailors will say "can't do it". They don't have their own workshops. This means no matter which one you choose, your suit comes out of the same workshop. Word of advice, don't pay upfront or 50%. pay an amount you can walk away from. The shop owners are Indian, they are not Thai.
Old Jan 1st 2024, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

I've bought tailor made suits in Thailand, but doubt I'd do so again. Most tailors are shop fronts and utilise the same out of town sweat shops make the clothes, so the price is more a function of your negotiating skill than the quality. Some will have in-house tailoring, but without local knowledge and limited time, it's hit and (generally) miss finding them. The alternative is to buy off the peg in Europe (and have it alternated if necessary), as Thairetired2016's husband is doing.

If you do opt for the Thailand option, be aware that if you buy at the start of your trip rather than the end, you have to carry the suit around with you for the rest of your trip (unless the tailor will hold for later collection). And in either case, it adds bulk and weight to your luggage so ensure you won't exceed the airline's luggage weight allowance. Also check any customs rules on imports in your home country.