Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Best visa options for me arriving 20th January 2024

Best visa options for me arriving 20th January 2024

Old Jan 4th 2024, 3:47 am
Just Joined

petercc0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best visa options for me arriving 20th January 2024

Hi all, 71 year old Brit with wife arriving the 20th January, previously living Thailand 18 years ago and China the last 14 years.

Considered PH but decided our preference is Thailand.

So, I'm assuming that since I am going the tourist visa route and not retirement visa and wish to 'retire' in Thailand and not PH that I would go the SETV 60 days, add another 30 days inside Thailand then go on a visa run then 'rinse and return' and ongoing ?

Is that possible ?

Or, should I arrive visa exempt and use an alternate route ?

I will also be seeking to rent good accommodation of around 50mts or plus, 1 bedroom, in a safe quiet town with a nearby beach, bars for nights out and local shops but close enough to a town or city where I can replenish my western food weekly or monthly.

I was thinking a town near either Pattaya or Patong only because I know those towns, albeit much would have changed in 18 years, but anywhere that is safe and quiet allowing a hassle free retirement in nice surroundings considered but not southern Thailand.

Any advice you could give would be appreciated.

Thanks Peter
Old Jan 4th 2024, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best visa options for me arriving 20th January 2024

Originally Posted by petercc0
Hi all, 71 year old Brit with wife arriving the 20th January, previously living Thailand 18 years ago and China the last 14 years.

Considered PH but decided our preference is Thailand.

So, I'm assuming that since I am going the tourist visa route and not retirement visa and wish to 'retire' in Thailand and not PH that I would go the SETV 60 days, add another 30 days inside Thailand then go on a visa run then 'rinse and return' and ongoing ?

Is that possible ?

Or, should I arrive visa exempt and use an alternate route ?

I will also be seeking to rent good accommodation of around 50mts or plus, 1 bedroom, in a safe quiet town with a nearby beach, bars for nights out and local shops but close enough to a town or city where I can replenish my western food weekly or monthly.

I was thinking a town near either Pattaya or Patong only because I know those towns, albeit much would have changed in 18 years, but anywhere that is safe and quiet allowing a hassle free retirement in nice surroundings considered but not southern Thailand.

Any advice you could give would be appreciated.

Thanks Peter
You can no longer keep on doing repeat visa runs if you want to live in TH. Rules have changed but it appears you can do 90 days in 180 days. New rule. If you stay 183 days in 360 you become liable for tax as from 2024. Rules are not known yet.
longstay option is retirement (apply in Thailand only), OA visa, LTR visa, Thailand Elite.
You mention "Patong" to stay. I'm not familiar with Phuket but from what I hear/read Phuket has become very touristy, Nr. Pattaya? Jomtien may be? But can't comment. I live in Bangkok.
Thailand has changed a lot in 18 yrs.

Last edited by Thairetired2016; Jan 4th 2024 at 12:16 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2024, 11:36 pm
Just Joined

petercc0 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hells bells, just when you think you have it sussed they change the rules, haha, sods law eh, jeez.

Thanks for your advice and I think I might have it 're-sussed' as, 90 days Malaysia free visa, alternate with Thailand free visa 30 then 2 x 30 extensions and return to Malaysia, rinse and repeat, or the other way around 1st Thai then Malaysia.
I may need to visit PH for a day or two at times too.

I'll be coming in from China from the 8th via The Philippines to either country the 20th January 2024 and wife joining me a month or so later.

What do you think my expert friend ?

You live in Bangkok, how do you find it, al the traffic, pollution, noise, etc etc etc ?
If I could find a cheap, my wife's Chinese, haha, safe and clean place to live in or near Bangkok I would appreciate your input and advice, I just assumed it would be too polluted and overbearing for a quiet retiring life.

Thanks, Peter

Old Jan 5th 2024, 1:23 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hells bells, just when you think you have it sussed they change the rules, haha, sods law eh, jeez.

Thanks for your advice and I think I might have it 're-sussed' as, 90 days Malaysia free visa, alternate with Thailand free visa 30 then 2 x 30 extensions and return to Malaysia, rinse and repeat, or the other way around 1st Thai then Malaysia.

I'll be coming in from China from the 8th via The Philippines to either country the 20th January 2024 and wife joining me a month or so later.

You live in Bangkok, how do you find it, al the traffic, pollution, noise, etc etc etc ?
If I could find a cheap, my wife's Chinese, haha, safe and clean place to live in or near Bangkok I would appreciate your input and advice, I just assumed it would be too polluted and overbearing for a quiet retiring life.

Thanks, Peter
Nothing's bloody simple is it?! Best of luck, I hope you can sort it out.
Old Jan 8th 2024, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Peter

If the commute between Malaysia & Thailand works for you great. It's not really quiet retirement. Might be cheaper to pay tax once we know how much.
I've been living in Bangkok for 20 years. In the midst of noise, traffic, pollution & all. It depends what you like. I like big city life with all its negatives as it has also positives.
Can't give you advise on accomodation as needs & desires vary. I've been living in a serviced apt. for the whole time. I want a lap pool & a well equipped gym. Others rather pay less rent & go out wining & dining. 😅 The further out of town you go the cheaper it gets. It can be time consuming to come into town for western food shopping. Once you get here have a look around & see if you like the "feel" of Bangkok.