Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

WA sponsorship for UK teachers?

WA sponsorship for UK teachers?

Old Mar 27th 2009, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

Anne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really nice
Default Re: WA sponsorship for UK teachers?

Originally Posted by taffy1
Did you have to work for exactly 2 years in school before applying for permanent visa and was that full time or are you able to go part time after a year? with the sponsorship on hold time is nearly running out for me as i would be nearing 45,after 2 years of work in oz, even if i went in jan 2011.
any maths or science teachers around here?
Old Mar 27th 2009, 6:45 pm
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anne2Oz
any maths or science teachers around here?
I am maths, heading for Adeliade when house sells and visa comes through

Cooler
Old Mar 28th 2009, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

Gordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really nice

Originally Posted by taffy1
Did you have to work for exactly 2 years in school before applying for permanent visa and was that full time or are you able to go part time after a year? with the sponsorship on hold time is nearly running out for me as i would be nearing 45,after 2 years of work in oz, even if i went in jan 2011.
Hello

From my own experience of 'Regional Skilled Sponsorship' I gained PR straight away at the start of the two years service. Condition was that you had to make a genuine effort to start that job and not move for 2 years of your own making. If you left after say 18 months it maybe looked at in certain circumstances I think (?), but there has to be a good reason. If you get the boot or become ill for example and have to give up within the 2 years, then that is different - it is something out of your control and you would not to my knowledge loose your PR.

After your 2 years I applied for citizenship (although that was a little while back in 2005), and I think the waiting time to be able to apply for full citizenship has gone up from my reading.

That was the scheme I was on and I think there are similar rules for others - you would have to look at the DIMIA website again, as there is a myriad of theme it seems these days.

Good luck though ........ good move too.........

p.s. very confused about WA, as there are conflicting reports one minute saying not enough, then too many - ah, they are all coming back from the mines now perhaps?

See how it goes I reckon. If it is WA you are interested in contact the Department of Education in Perth - ('Silver City') - that's the nickname....
Old Mar 28th 2009, 11:25 am
Just Joined

BarryHargo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gordo Marshall
Hello

From my own experience of 'Regional Skilled Sponsorship' I gained PR straight away at the start of the two years service. Condition was that you had to make a genuine effort to start that job and not move for 2 years of your own making. If you left after say 18 months it maybe looked at in certain circumstances I think (?), but there has to be a good reason. If you get the boot or become ill for example and have to give up within the 2 years, then that is different - it is something out of your control and you would not to my knowledge loose your PR.

After your 2 years I applied for citizenship (although that was a little while back in 2005), and I think the waiting time to be able to apply for full citizenship has gone up from my reading.

That was the scheme I was on and I think there are similar rules for others - you would have to look at the DIMIA website again, as there is a myriad of theme it seems these days.

Good luck though ........ good move too.........

p.s. very confused about WA, as there are conflicting reports one minute saying not enough, then too many - ah, they are all coming back from the mines now perhaps?

See how it goes I reckon. If it is WA you are interested in contact the Department of Education in Perth - ('Silver City') - that's the nickname....
As far as I know they do have some shortages in certain areas, but as people are returning to teaching, not retiring (due to pensions being affected) and loads of newly qualified teachers they're reviewing who they need and will take people when they need them. Those waiting for what was the 457 route could be in for a long wait . I wonder how many will look at other routes into Aussie. Hopefully some light will be shed on this situation in the very near future.