Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

WA sponsorship for UK teachers?

WA sponsorship for UK teachers?

Old Jan 30th 2009, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

Victoriaa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default WA sponsorship for UK teachers?

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of this?

We have the forms for Teach Austrailia and WACOT filled in, my Hubby (Assistant Head and teacher of History and citizenship) just needs the referrence from his boss then they will be sent off.

I wondered if anyone knows if in order to be successful with your application you have to currently teach one of the shortage subjects? If so, hubby will look to pursue another subject and we will hold off for a year or two.

Also - from sending off the forms above, what is the process and the timescate? Teaching WA just told us to complete these forms first then get back to them.

Is it worth going to one of the expo things - does this help / speed things up? We are thinking of going out to Perth in August - any reccommendations on what we should do / see to decide if this is the right move for us?

I am 29 and work in HR, Hubby 30 and we have an 18 month old little boy. We want a more active, outdoors lifestyle for ourselves and our child(ren - hopefully).

Any other info on the whole 'move' business would be greatly appreciated. Also, any info on the availability of HR type jobs (but not recruitment agency work, my experience is more employee relations / legislation).
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 12:02 pm
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all
Default Re: WA sponsorship for UK teachers?

Originally Posted by Victoriaa
Hi,

We have the forms for Teach Austrailia and WACOT filled in, my Hubby (Assistant Head and teacher of History and citizenship) just needs the referrence from his boss then they will be sent off.

I wondered if anyone knows if in order to be successful with your application you have to currently teach one of the shortage subjects? If so, hubby will look to pursue another subject and we will hold off for a year or two.

Also - from sending off the forms above, what is the process and the timescate? Teaching WA just told us to complete these forms first then get back to them.

Is it worth going to one of the expo things - does this help / speed things up? We are thinking of going out to Perth in August - any reccommendations on what we should do / see to decide if this is the right move for us?

I am 29 and work in HR, Hubby 30 and we have an 18 month old little boy. We want a more active, outdoors lifestyle for ourselves and our child(ren - hopefully).

Any other info on the whole 'move' business would be greatly appreciated. Also, any info on the availability of HR type jobs (but not recruitment agency work, my experience is more employee relations / legislation).
WA have stopped the process for the time being and have said they will accept 'expressions of interest', but if you haven't already been accepted then it's really a no go - this is for secondary teachers. They are still looking for primary teachers. With regard to the subject then yes, they only take what they need, so to speak. They are desperate for Technical teachers, that's what my hubby is, and like you have an 18 month old, well almost 18 months old.

We moved out on the program 3 weeks ago and are loving it, any questions just PM me and I'll help all i can!

Kareena x
Old Mar 9th 2009, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

taffy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

do u know if they would consider a secondary trained teacher to teach primary and be sponsored for that?
Old Mar 9th 2009, 5:05 pm
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by taffy1
do u know if they would consider a secondary trained teacher to teach primary and be sponsored for that?
Have a look at the teaching section on BE and and start a new thread. As mentioned, the program is on hold but I am sure there will be one running again (from reading the online press - re shortages).

Do consider that you can be placed in very remote places, although you can be lucky. I spent a long time researching and decided against it as we we're able to get a permanent visa (the previous program was for temp visa) and you can be in a small but very expensive mining town.

Cooler
Old Mar 9th 2009, 5:06 pm
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kar-kier
WA have stopped the process for the time being and have said they will accept 'expressions of interest', but if you haven't already been accepted then it's really a no go - this is for secondary teachers. They are still looking for primary teachers. With regard to the subject then yes, they only take what they need, so to speak. They are desperate for Technical teachers, that's what my hubby is, and like you have an 18 month old, well almost 18 months old.

We moved out on the program 3 weeks ago and are loving it, any questions just PM me and I'll help all i can!

Kareena x
Where did you get to Kareena?

Cooler
Old Mar 9th 2009, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by coolerkingcooler
Have a look at the teaching section on BE and and start a new thread. As mentioned, the program is on hold but I am sure there will be one running again (from reading the online press - re shortages).

Do consider that you can be placed in very remote places, although you can be lucky. I spent a long time researching and decided against it as we we're able to get a permanent visa (the previous program was for temp visa) and you can be in a small but very expensive mining town.

Cooler
thanks 4 reply, do not have enough points for permanent, 457 is only option unfortunately. thought i was in the teaching section

Last edited by taffy1; Mar 9th 2009 at 5:21 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Lol sorry I'd doubt that'd be a starter. You need to be trained in area you wish to work in.

My OH had been accepted for Jan 2010, now we're just waiting for news from meeting later in the year. As far as we know it's all Teachers not just secondary who are on hold, we know several teachers both secondary and primary who've all had the dreaded on hold email. I know a few who were going in July this year who'd sold houses and quit jobs! Must have been awful getting the email for them . I am aware of a few teachers who are going in July, as far as I know these are secondary with certain subject areas.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Ive been told the scheme will continue in the future.
But no recruitment drive for 2009.
So if you can wait and see what happens.

Otherwise, Secondary is on critical skills list. So permanent visa is given priority. If you have enough points and dont want to wait, apply for your own PR visa.

Gems
Old Mar 10th 2009, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Lol sorry I'd doubt that'd be a starter. You need to be trained in area you wish to work in.

My OH had been accepted for Jan 2010, now we're just waiting for news from meeting later in the year. As far as we know it's all Teachers not just secondary who are on hold, we know several teachers both secondary and primary who've all had the dreaded on hold email. I know a few who were going in July this year who'd sold houses and quit jobs! Must have been awful getting the email for them . I am aware of a few teachers who are going in July, as far as I know these are secondary with certain subject areas.
My subject is French, don't have enough points for pr, only hope is state sponsorship but i don't think they will sponsor me anyway as my subject isn't on list, only says modern languages (indonesian and chinese i think!) Good luck with your sponsorship
Old Mar 10th 2009, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

My subject is French, don't have enough points for pr, only hope is state sponsorship but i don't think they will sponsor me anyway as my subject isn't on list, only says modern languages (indonesian and chinese i think!) Good luck with your sponsorship
Well do the expression of interest, you've nowt to lose
Old Mar 10th 2009, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

blackjack041 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi taffy1, have you thought about looking at teaching down the independant school route? From what I have seen, there is a lack of mfl teachers. Give aiswa a ring (www.ais.wa.edu.au) or wacot they might be able to put you in right direction.

All the best!
Old Mar 11th 2009, 2:00 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Originally Posted by coolerkingcooler
Where did you get to Kareena?

Cooler
We are in Mandurah - costal city 50 mins south of Perth

kareena
Old Mar 11th 2009, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

thanks very much, i will try contacting them
Old Mar 11th 2009, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

Gordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really nice

Hi,

Hi

I have taught in secondary in WA, and indeed they have stopped the current sponsorship drive for the moment. Seems quite a move, given the great shortage not that long ago.

Anyway, I came from the UK and went to the NT (Alice Springs) and was sponsored there to teach. Have a fantastic time. Very different to elsewhere in Australia and in such a unique environment. Wonderfully supportive.

Maybe worth you emailing the NT Department of Education to see if they are still sponsoring these days. It was 2002 I did mine as a regional sponsored teacher - which you would not get in WA. I got PR straight away and had to do 2 years at a state school. Fantastic time overall. I was the first teacher from overseas ever in secondary school (and of any school I think?) to be sponsored in the NT.

Cheers
Old Mar 11th 2009, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

Gordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really nice

Hi,

Hi

I have taught in secondary in WA, and indeed they have stopped the current sponsorship drive for the moment. Seems quite a move, given the great shortage not that long ago.

Anyway, I came from the UK and went to the NT (Alice Springs) and was sponsored there to teach. Have a fantastic time. Very different to elsewhere in Australia and in such a unique environment. Wonderfully supportive.

Maybe worth you emailing the NT Department of Education to see if they are still sponsoring these days. It was 2002 I did mine as a regional sponsored teacher - which you would not get in WA. I got PR straight away and had to do 2 years at a state school. Fantastic time overall. I was the first teacher ever in secondary school (and of any school I think?) to be sponsored in the NT.

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.