VIT Registration

Old May 26th 2010, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

ollydt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: VIT Registration

I'm an RE 'trained' sec teacher, but with a Ancient History degree and mainly teach psychology and RE, taught a bit of History as well. Jack of all trades master of none. Wife is a Maths teacher so is quietly confident she will waltz into a job, although keep seeing a lot of Math jobs with Biology attached.

I keep seeing English/Humanities so to some extent I wouldn't mind a bite of that cherry but I don't particularly care, one thing about teaching loads of subjects in only 5 years at one school is that I can BS for Queen and country. We are planning on going into the whole emergency teaching when we first land and see what happens.

Olly
Old Jun 1st 2010, 8:55 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

As Jen says, if you have the PGCE you should be fine. It is strange they are asking for supervised prac teaching experience when you already have a lot of teaching experience and references from that??? My Australian teacher rego didn't count for anything in the UK so your QTS probably won't help here - but still note it down and emphasise what it involved.

Before you can teach, you'll need:

Teacher Registration

Registration with the department of education in your state/territory (process and docs required similar to teacher rego in Qld so be prepared (cert copies of docs etc)

In Queensland you can then apply to be added to the supply teacher list (TRACER). NSW have their own version of this, sorry not sure about Victoria?

It may also be possible to register with Catholic Education (you can do this online in Qld & it's necessary before you can apply for jobs)

As far as I know the First Aid Cert is non-compulsory but certainly helps. It may also help to apply for a Blue Card (not sure if they're called the same thing in Vic - it's permission to work with children check) in case you are waiting a long time for your teacher rego.

Re: your quals - in my experience the subjects in which you trained (particularly in humanities) are not as strictly adhered to as in the UK (actually, that's just Scotland. Now that I recall I was able to teach primary in London with a Sec Eng/Hist background)

You can also register online with www.teachers.on.net - independent school jobs are advertised here & principal's can browse teacher profiles etc.

Good luck!
Old Jul 7th 2010, 7:58 pm
Top Dog

sniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to all

Did the VIT thing a couple of years ago (so may be out of date) from memory I needed service statements to show supervised teaching - dead easy to get ring your LA and ask them for it ... to confirm that Mr X was employed as..... from .xxx to xxx....

I think that was all Ineeded.... memory going now though!

Dog.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah we got it from our current employer along with how much we've earnt. It all went off on Monday so hopefully all be done and dusted by time we arrive in August.

Cheers
Old Jul 27th 2010, 5:50 am
Top Dog

sniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bezzanbob View Post
I think you will find that QTS isn't recognised as a teaching qualification in Australia and hence isn't deemed appropriate for migration.

There may well be otehr ways around it and I would be interested to know about them.

Teaching Australia also required verification of these qualifications so ...

Bezza
OP has PGCE (for info for future readers!)
Old Jul 27th 2010, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sniffydog View Post
OP has PGCE (for info for future readers!)
Got my rego thru last night. Must have took just about 2 weeks (3 including posting to Oz). Used my father-in-law as a c/o to hurry process along instead of waiting for docs to go back and forth between UK and Oz. Really impressed by timeframe to have it done. Wife is still waiting but I would expect hers to be thru soon enough.

Olly