Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

OMG are they serious?? Primary Teacher isn't on the SOL anymore!!!???

OMG are they serious?? Primary Teacher isn't on the SOL anymore!!!???

Old Jul 13th 2010, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

Bev_n is an unknown quantity at this point
Default OMG are they serious?? Primary Teacher isn't on the SOL anymore!!!???

Ive trained for 4 years done supply for a year and got a full time job in a school i HATED working at but stuck it out so that i could get a visa and now i'm almost there they take it off the list!!! IM FUMING!!!

What can I do now!??

I've been looking at the SOL list thinking what i could move onto next. Might speak to my mum about training to be a nurse, but i'll bet after ive gone through that training they'll take that off too!!! grrr

bev
Old Jul 13th 2010, 11:35 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OMG are they serious?? Primary Teacher isn't on the SOL anymore!!!???

Originally Posted by Bev_n
Ive trained for 4 years done supply for a year and got a full time job in a school i HATED working at but stuck it out so that i could get a visa and now i'm almost there they take it off the list!!! IM FUMING!!!

What can I do now!??

I've been looking at the SOL list thinking what i could move onto next. Might speak to my mum about training to be a nurse, but i'll bet after ive gone through that training they'll take that off too!!! grrr

bev
Hi Bev, I think a lot if not most of us saw this coming as Primary Teachers, in recent years, haven't had priority processing. However, I am almost sure, but if I'm wrong someone please correct me, that some of the states are still sponsoring PS Teachers!? Which states though, I'm not positively sure...but try the NT and WA?
Old Jul 14th 2010, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

lekkilizard is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OMG are they serious?? Primary Teacher isn't on the SOL anymore!!!???

What can I do now!??

bev
Hi Bev

Look at recruitment agencies like SmartTeacher. They link you up with private schools which may be an option. Have colleagues that were recruited through them and they deal with all age ranges. They can help with visa applications etc.. Just remember that Australia is just half way through its academic year and more jobs should be available later on.

http://www.smartteachers.com.au

Hope this helps.

Nx
Old Jul 14th 2010, 2:10 am
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

What can I do now!??

bev
I can tell you that here in SA, that there is an abundance of primary teachers and I know several experienced teachers (British and Australian) who cannot get a job.

My advice is to look into lekkilizard's idea. Also, consider communicating with Teaching Australia (if it's not changed its name) and see if you did a masters or pgce (etc) in early years (has to be pre primary) to qualify for Early childhood (pre-primary school) teacher as that is on the list. Another route maybe special needs or even doing a pgce for secondary. This would be much quicker than re-training to be a nurse.

Look at all options and make an informed decision. It seems to be harder to get in now, but the people who are more determined have a better chance.

Best of luck,
Cooler
Old Jul 14th 2010, 9:11 am
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coolerkingcooler
I can tell you that here in SA, that there is an abundance of primary teachers and I know several experienced teachers (British and Australian) who cannot get a job.

My advice is to look into lekkilizard's idea. Also, consider communicating with Teaching Australia (if it's not changed its name) and see if you did a masters or pgce (etc) in early years (has to be pre primary) to qualify for Early childhood (pre-primary school) teacher as that is on the list. Another route maybe special needs or even doing a pgce for secondary. This would be much quicker than re-training to be a nurse.

Look at all options and make an informed decision. It seems to be harder to get in now, but the people who are more determined have a better chance.

Best of luck,
Cooler
Just had a thought, if you finished a pgce last year, then they qualify as a third of a masters. Previous PGCE's did not!

I know Manchester University do distance learning and you can pick your modules - you would need to be careful to make sure that they would be the right ones for Teaching Australia.

Don't give up, examine all possibilities.

Just a thought,
Cooler
Old Jul 19th 2010, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

uklass is on a distinguished road

Its not over till the fat lady sings....or at least until the 1st September! Thats when the NT are (alledgedly) putting together their SMP. I have everything crossed that primary school teachers will still be on there

Keep the faith!!

Uklass
Old Jul 20th 2010, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Smart teachers are only interested in High School teachers. We had approached them and they were not interested.

Gems
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

hilasbat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by coolerkingcooler
Just had a thought, if you finished a pgce last year, then they qualify as a third of a masters. Previous PGCE's did not!
I did my PGCE in 2003. It counted as a third of my MA - depends on the institute you studied at I believe.

If you want to do another PGCE in Secondary, you will have to pay the fees yourself (huge! (imho)), but it might prove hard to get onto a course given you already have one (courses are oversubscribed pretty much all over the place from people I have spoken to desperate to get onto *any* teaching course in various places in the UK).

Don't know how it would work for visa, but could you work in secondary to go over as a secondary teacher? Or would that be 5 years or so of experience needed? (Or not work at all because you need your PGCE to officially be in the age range you plan to teach?). I'm now teaching Primary, but my PGCE was in Secondary - hasn't been a problem here in England getting a full time job etc etc, but I know in Scotland for eg I have to work as a Primary teacher for 5 years before they will let me teach there, as I don't have a Primary PGCE. Alternatively, get experience working in Secondary (supply or otherwise) and then apply for Private secondary positions in order to secure the visa?

I don't know *anything* about visas btw, just spit balling some ideas out there for you....sorry if they aren't actually that helpful.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 8:39 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Gems
Smart teachers are only interested in High School teachers. We had approached them and they were not interested.

Gems
I don't know if Smart Teachers are interested in anyone - have had a slow, inefficient and pretty condescending response from them every time I've been in touch. Definitely not interested in anything out of the ordinary but you could still give them a try.

I know EXACTLY how you feel OP except that I'm trying to move in the other direction. It's been 8 years of effort & just as I got within a whisper of obtaining my UK visa this year, they changed the rules on me & now I'm pretty much back to square one...AGAIN. It is getting close to soul destroying - if only there was somewhere we could exchange our citizenship LOL. Anyway, I nearly considered giving up this time - the highly skilled visa for the UK is now so far out of reach my only option is via sponsorship - something I spent 3 years working on to no avail while actually IN the UK & now I am trying from outside... but have decided to give it one last shot. Don't have much advice except there are others just as frustrated so keep trying! Have you thought about NZ? I haven't a clue what it's like for migration but I know a few migrants in Oz who 'got in' to Australia by gaining PR in NZ first.

And the Early Childhood suggestion might be another place to start - big industry in Australia and in NZ.

Good luck!!
Old Jul 28th 2010, 8:54 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saoghalbeag
I don't know if Smart Teachers are interested in anyone - have had a slow, inefficient and pretty condescending response from them every time I've been in touch. Definitely not interested in anything out of the ordinary but you could still give them a try.

I know EXACTLY how you feel OP except that I'm trying to move in the other direction. It's been 8 years of effort & just as I got within a whisper of obtaining my UK visa this year, they changed the rules on me & now I'm pretty much back to square one...AGAIN. It is getting close to soul destroying - if only there was somewhere we could exchange our citizenship LOL. Anyway, I nearly considered giving up this time - the highly skilled visa for the UK is now so far out of reach my only option is via sponsorship - something I spent 3 years working on to no avail while actually IN the UK & now I am trying from outside... but have decided to give it one last shot. Don't have much advice except there are others just as frustrated so keep trying! Have you thought about NZ? I haven't a clue what it's like for migration but I know a few migrants in Oz who 'got in' to Australia by gaining PR in NZ first.

And the Early Childhood suggestion might be another place to start - big industry in Australia and in NZ.

Good luck!!
Hey missus, how are things? I'd agree with you about SMART TEACHERS, I had a 45 minute interview with them a few days after arriving in Oz, and I know I said all of the right things and they've been about as useful as a chocolate teapot!!! lol

R u back teachin here in Oz? I'm now working in an absolute MASSIVE school in TW, a contract for at least the next month, if not til the end of term!!!
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 8:45 am
Wanderer

saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

congrats on the contract...the beginning of a loooong and (mostly) happy career (hey, it is teaching after all...)

I am in NEW ZULLAND bro! Beached as...lol. The usual long rant but for some reason the UK gov't consider NZ a 2nd tier country which means my earnings in NZ get doubled when I'm applying for my visa to the UK. Not that it may do much good considering recent UK visa changes (damn those bureacratic bumpkins in their pokey little offices in East Croydon...or wherever (I wish E Croydon on them!!!)

Anyway...NZ! Moving abroad without a job in place first for the first time ever and it is the scariest bloody thing I've ever done!! We are staying in a right dive in Christchurch atm but had good news on a flat today (they are SO relaxed with rentals over here...there aren't even any income questions on the application forms...)

I was advised not to get my teacher rego until I finished my masters in October but I think that was poor advice - I am struggling to find other work and getting a bit sick of the rejections. About to follow in your steps and write to schools offering my services as a teacher aide and FINGERS CROSSED! There's a cafe nearby wanting a weekender which I'm tempted to apply for but with a 4 year old in tow and no more granny nearby I don't think it'll work!!

Just came in here to post about teaching in NZ and now I've hijacked someone else's thread!!! If anyone is out there...I need ideas for jobs in Christchurch until my teacher rego comes through!!!! Pleeeeeeease help....
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 8:47 am
Wanderer

and absolutely re: Smart Teachers and choc teapots... I was even foolish enough to go back to them recently as they were advertising for teacher-librarians (my current course - only 2 subjects to go woohoo) AND the guy had the cheek to write back and tell me to call back when I was actually qualified!!!! ARRRGH!! Nearly every bloomin' librarian I KNOW is studying AND already in a library job!! I had one of them myself!! It's like, do they even have a CLUE about the industry they are supposed to be recruiting for???

rant rant rant...