Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

To those teaching in Oz - Tax question

To those teaching in Oz - Tax question

Old Jan 11th 2008, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

foxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nice
Default To those teaching in Oz - Tax question

Hi all,

I'm about to take up my first full time post in WA this academic year and wondered what you do about tax.

I normally spend a stupid amount of money on resources and getting my classroom kitted out the way I want it: do you guys keep all the receipts for this stuff and claim it back?

I know WA has as notebooks for teachers scheme which is deducted before tax, are there any other schemes like this?

Also, do you use a tax accountant to help you with your returns?

On a sidenote - I am going to be teaching Year 2 - they are the ages of Year 3 in UK, but in my experience as relief I find the work level is similar to the corresponding same number in UK despite age difference, ie Aussie Year 2 will work at similar level to UK Year 2. Any thoughts/comments on this? I've never taught this year group before so keen to be as prepared as possible.

Many thanks,

Gemma
Old Jan 11th 2008, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To those teaching in Oz - Tax question

If its a state school, each class has a budget given at start of year. Hubby thought it was about $400.
So you can claim this back but must have reciepts.
Also you get paid back as cheque to put in your back account.

Also if you are full time in state school, look into salary packaging car, mortgage etc. This will save you some money, as deducted befor tax so you pay less tax on total salary.

Hubby also says he agree year 2 here will probably be like Year2 in England. We also have kids and they have found work a little easier here.

If you have an particular questions on Year 2 work pm me and I will pass to hubby and get you answers.

GEMS
Old Jan 11th 2008, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

foxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nice

Hey Gem,

Thanks for the answer - so presume you guys sort your tax online and it's relatively smooth? Aussie relatives are trying to persuade me that an accountant will save me more than his/her fee, but am cynical. I will pm you now with yr 2 questions, much appreciated.

Gemma

ps Yep, will be in a state school
Old Jan 12th 2008, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

Most people I know use a tax accountant because there are all sorts of allowances that you can apply for and they help them to get the largest refund. One of the things that I use is the money available for a personal library but all of the info is available on the tax website and you can make up your own mind after reading that. I suggest that you use the tax accountant to help with the first year and decide after that.
Nicky
Old Jan 14th 2008, 12:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

You wont have to worry about it until after July 1 so just keep all receipts for materials used for your work. Keep a record of mileage travelled in the course of your work (not to and from work) and also keep receipts for any additions to your professional library, conferences you attend, organizations and unions you belong to. As Nicky said, use a tax agent the first year because he will work out things like your home office space - phone, lighting, computer access, etc etc which will be a guide for when you do it yourself next year. I usually do my tax with the etax form - dead simple but you have to have all your records in order. You can claim the fees for the tax agent (usually about $300) as a tax deduction for the following year.

There are salary sacrificing schemes for things like laptops, super etc and you can even sacrifice into a car but you need to watch out because some things are subject to fringe benefits tax and cars can be a bit of a catch - you have to be doing over 25000km to make them worthwhile and that is quite a long way in a year!!!
Old Jan 18th 2008, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by quoll
You wont have to worry about it until after July 1 so just keep all receipts for materials used for your work. Keep a record of mileage travelled in the course of your work (not to and from work) and also keep receipts for any additions to your professional library, conferences you attend, organizations and unions you belong to. As Nicky said, use a tax agent the first year because he will work out things like your home office space - phone, lighting, computer access, etc etc which will be a guide for when you do it yourself next year. I usually do my tax with the etax form - dead simple but you have to have all your records in order. You can claim the fees for the tax agent (usually about $300) as a tax deduction for the following year.

There are salary sacrificing schemes for things like laptops, super etc and you can even sacrifice into a car but you need to watch out because some things are subject to fringe benefits tax and cars can be a bit of a catch - you have to be doing over 25000km to make them worthwhile and that is quite a long way in a year!!!
Just wanted to say thank you to those that took the time to reply. I think I will plump to see an accountant. All the best
Old Mar 4th 2008, 8:52 am
Top Dog

sniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to all

Originally Posted by quoll

Any more info on the salary sacrifice thing? This is helpful...
Old Mar 5th 2008, 6:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sniffydog
Any more info on the salary sacrifice thing? This is helpful...
You will need to see a financial advisor to get the best advice. Most education departments will do a laptop salary sac easily - in our dept you had to go and buy it yourself and then present the invoice/receipt and they credited you over the next couple of pays. I didnt ever get around to doing it myself but that is what someone told me. For long term salary sacrificing a financial advisor usually does the sums for you. You can sac into additional super easily and pay only 15% tax on the money which is a huge advantage if you are up in the 45% bracket. Cars are a bit trickier - it isnt worth the effort unless you are going to travel at least 25K a year otherwise you pay almost the same amount in fringe benefits tax and if you are going to do 25K+ a year then you are going to wear the darned thing out anyway.

Just be aware that there is no universal state pension in Aus - what there is is means tested and so there is a huge incentive for people to contribute to their own retirement fund for a reasonable old age. If you dont get a good number of years up then you want to be looking at paying the highest level of super that you can into the state system and, if you can afford it, into a top up super fund.