Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

teaching in ontario - lots of questions!

teaching in ontario - lots of questions!

Old Aug 10th 2005, 10:37 am
Just Joined

jemma1973 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default teaching in ontario - lots of questions!

Hello,

My husband and I are are planning on submitting our SW visa application shortly. We both teach - I'm a secondary English teacher and Peter is a primary school teacher (both been teaching 8 years and completed degrees/PGCEs).

We're looking to live in Ontario - possibly Oakville/Burlington area and, as we're very new to all this, have a few queries....

- what is the salary for teachers in Ontario and how does this compare generally regards standard of living costs?

- how easy is it to get certified to teach in Otario?

- is supply work readily available?

- is it possible to apply for jobs BEFORE we actually relocate?

Many thanks,
Jemma and Peter
Old Aug 12th 2005, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

jon254 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: teaching in ontario - lots of questions!

Originally Posted by jemma1973
Hello,

My husband and I are are planning on submitting our SW visa application shortly. We both teach - I'm a secondary English teacher and Peter is a primary school teacher (both been teaching 8 years and completed degrees/PGCEs).

We're looking to live in Ontario - possibly Oakville/Burlington area and, as we're very new to all this, have a few queries....

- what is the salary for teachers in Ontario and how does this compare generally regards standard of living costs?

Starts around $35,000 and goes to $75,000, however various levels and ten years increments to reach highest level

- how easy is it to get certified to teach in Otario?

Once you're there you can start to apply, however you need all the transcripts to be set to the OCT (if you're heading to Ontario) before hand.

- is supply work readily available?

Very dofficult to answer so many variables place time experience subject.

- is it possible to apply for jobs BEFORE we actually relocate?
Yes you can apply for jobs, however usual requirement is OCT registration which you cannot get unless you are abale to work in Canada,

Many thanks,
Jemma and Peter
See above for response to questions. In addition you may find this site useful for further research:

All provinces have differing regulations and requirements. best bet is to go to the provincial website and check to see what they want. The site following has a list of all of them

http://www.caslt.org/Info/associations.htm

Make sure you go to the Ontario College of Teacher website:

http://www.oct.ca

This link will take you to the internationally trained teachers section:

http://www.oct.ca/en/Internationally...ath=octweb_e:8

Remember when going through forums such as TES and indeed this one that often you will only see the less promising stories (Realism can be off putting). Whilst these are good to heed the best route is to try and check it out in person. Easters good as flights are cheap and their schools are open. Try arranging a visit and see for yourself.

Good luck, if I can be of any help feel free to PM me.

Jon